Monitor Switches Off When Playing Game

System Windows XP, Latest nVidia Driver 71.84, GeForce2 MX 100/200 card.
Everything seemed OK until I tried installing and running a game,
Civilization 3. Initial intro. video displays OK, but, when it finishes and
goes to the Menu I hear the music, but, screen goes blank and LED on monitor
goes out indicating monitor is turned off. Pressing Esc (no other way) ends
game program and monitor turns back on. When I had W98se this game played
and displayed OK, it changed the screen resolution to a lower resolution for
the intro video then changed it back up for menu and game play. Now I
notice it changes resolution to a lower setting for intro. video, but, does
not reset it for menu (can't get to game play) instead have the above
problem. Any suggestions? To think my mate can play it on W95 with an old
graphics driver!

Rob

That older video card is NOT stable with the newer drivers. It's based on
much older technology. Use the 45.23 driver for stability with that card in
games.

--
DaveW

Canopus wrote:
> System Windows XP, Latest nVidia Driver 71.84, GeForce2 MX 100/200 card.
> Everything seemed OK until I tried installing and running a game,
> Civilization 3. Initial intro. video displays OK, but, when it finishes and
> goes to the Menu I hear the music, but, screen goes blank and LED on monitor
> goes out indicating monitor is turned off. Pressing Esc (no other way) ends
> game program and monitor turns back on. When I had W98se this game played
> and displayed OK, it changed the screen resolution to a lower resolution for
> the intro video then changed it back up for menu and game play. Now I
> notice it changes resolution to a lower setting for intro. video, but, does
> not reset it for menu (can't get to game play) instead have the above
> problem. Any suggestions? To think my mate can play it on W95 with an old
> graphics driver!
>
> Rob

Is your monitor being recognized properly? Sounds like it may be trying
to use a refresh rate the monitor doesn't support.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

"Robert Hancock" <hancockr@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Canopus wrote:
> > System Windows XP, Latest nVidia Driver 71.84, GeForce2 MX 100/200 card.
> > Everything seemed OK until I tried installing and running a game,
> > Civilization 3. Initial intro. video displays OK, but, when it finishes
and
> > goes to the Menu I hear the music, but, screen goes blank and LED on
monitor
> > goes out indicating monitor is turned off. Pressing Esc (no other way)
ends
> > game program and monitor turns back on. When I had W98se this game
played
> > and displayed OK, it changed the screen resolution to a lower resolution
for
> > the intro video then changed it back up for menu and game play. Now I
> > notice it changes resolution to a lower setting for intro. video, but,
does
> > not reset it for menu (can't get to game play) instead have the above
> > problem. Any suggestions? To think my mate can play it on W95 with an
old
> > graphics driver!
> >
> > Rob
> >

> Is your monitor being recognized properly? Sounds like it may be trying
> to use a refresh rate the monitor doesn't support.
>
> --
> Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
> To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@nospamshaw.ca
> Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/

It recognizes my monitor as plug and play and selects a refresh rate of 60
Hz which is what has always been selected with the old driver. Quite
honestly I don't even know what the monitor make is or its specifications,
it was a legacy of when I first bought this PC second hand. It's stood me
well through all the PC upgrades I've had done and has never had any problem
playing this game using same graphics card , but, older driver, however I
have a LaCie monitor on order as this one isn't suitable for good quality
photo editing. The game in question I'm having trouble with is not even a
graphics intensive game and doesn't require much processing power.. It's as
if the call to the nVidia driver to change the resolution a second time is
failing.

Rob

> That older video card is NOT stable with the newer drivers. It's based on
> much older technology. Use the 45.23 driver for stability with that card
> in games.

LOL!

"Dave Zass" <sendmespam@volleyball.net> wrote in message
>> That older video card is NOT stable with the newer drivers. It's
>> based on much older technology. Use the 45.23 driver for stability
>> with that card in games.
>
> LOL!

His record is skipping a little...
McG.