PNY 5700 Ultra doesn't like drivers newer than 53.03. Why?

I picked up this card off ebay, and it seems to work fine as long as I
don't attempt to update the nVidia drivers beyone 53.03. If I do I get
vertical bars/tearing on opening movie scenes on games, and the menu
(like in BF1942) is reddish and flickering. When I go into the game
the game action looks fine, BUT the map up in the corner is reddish and
flickering, crosshairs are flickering, etc... This seems kind of odd,
doesn't it? Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior?

Bob

U-Bob wrote:
> I picked up this card off ebay, and it seems to work fine as long as I
> don't attempt to update the nVidia drivers beyone 53.03. If I do I get
> vertical bars/tearing on opening movie scenes on games, and the menu
> (like in BF1942) is reddish and flickering. When I go into the game
> the game action looks fine, BUT the map up in the corner is reddish and
> flickering, crosshairs are flickering, etc... This seems kind of odd,
> doesn't it? Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior?
>
> Bob

I'm using an Apollo FX5700 with 75.90 and no problems at all. HL2
gained a noticable speed boost with this driver.

Because your card is a POF and you should'a put more money into getting a
decent card.

"U-Bob" <rdbair@email.uncc.edu> wrote in message
>I picked up this card off ebay, and it seems to work fine as long as I
> don't attempt to update the nVidia drivers beyone 53.03. If I do I get
> vertical bars/tearing on opening movie scenes on games, and the menu
> (like in BF1942) is reddish and flickering. When I go into the game
> the game action looks fine, BUT the map up in the corner is reddish and
> flickering, crosshairs are flickering, etc... This seems kind of odd,
> doesn't it? Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior?
>
> Bob

default

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2003

What does the acronym "POF" stand for in this context?

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Because your card is a POF and you should'a put more money into getting a
> decent card.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

It stands for "Piece Of Fhit"

DaveL

"default" <defaultname@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What does the acronym "POF" stand for in this context?
>
> "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Because your card is a POF and you should'a put more money into getting a
>> decent card.

Thanks. Constructive input. I had tried un-installing but I didn't
try a clean-up. I'll give that a shot. It works fine with the 53.03,
so I'll set a restore point and fiddle. Worst comes to worst, I'll get
PNY to replace the card and see if a new one does the same thing.

We could use that clean-up utility here at work! That's a keeper.

Bob

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Because your card is a POF and you should'a put more money into getting a
> decent card.

I don't know how this post helps things. Regardless of what anyone thinks
of any card, nVidia is supposed to have a unified driver that covers a lot
of cards and I would also be concerned if any driver set newer than a
certain set was problematic. I don't think the FX series is all that hot,
but you could be doing much worse than a 5700.

On 28 Mar 2005 13:12:43 -0800, "U-Bob" <rdbair@email.uncc.edu> wrote:

>I picked up this card off ebay, and it seems to work fine as long as I
>don't attempt to update the nVidia drivers beyone 53.03. If I do I get
>vertical bars/tearing on opening movie scenes on games, and the menu
>(like in BF1942) is reddish and flickering. When I go into the game
>the game action looks fine, BUT the map up in the corner is reddish and
>flickering, crosshairs are flickering, etc... This seems kind of odd,
>doesn't it? Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior?

Try reducing the graphics hardware acceleration.
Start-Control Panel-Display
Properties-Settings-Advanced-TroubleShooting. There should be a
slider called Hardware Acceleration. Reducing this often fixes the
problem you described.

Sig:
Work saves us from three great evils: boredom, vice and need. -Voltaire,
philosopher (1694-1778)

Yeah, I did try that before. PNY said that if the newer drivers don't
work, they will send me a new card. I haven't sat down and messed with
it yet, been too busy unfortunately, and out of town a lot the last
month. I plan on trying the clean utility this weekend.