What gaming monitor would you buy - $1000?

If space wasn't an issue so you could buy either a CRT or a panel what model
would you get?

Here are the requirements -
Fast screen - I play games so I can't have ghosts or lags found in many LCD
panels.

I would like BIG. I currently have an 8 year old 21" Viewsonic. The
Viewsonic p225f says 22" (I think that model is about 3 years old - I hate
buying old models) but it has the same viewable area as their G220FB (20")
unless I'm reading the specs wrong. I've had pretty good luck with the bang
for the buck from Viewsonic though.

I don't care how the case looks or if it has built in speakers or anything
else - what I care about is the quality of the picture and size of he
picture. I want bang for my buck.

I realize not everyone is going to agree but I do appreciate your
suggestions.
9 answers Last reply
More about what gaming monitor 1000

    Viewsonic is introducing the world's first 4 msec response time 19" LCD in
    late May. It should theoretically have the least ghosting of any model.
    MSRP hinted to be aound $599 U.S.

    --
    DaveW

    "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If space wasn't an issue so you could buy either a CRT or a panel what
    > model
    > would you get?
    >
    > Here are the requirements -
    > Fast screen - I play games so I can't have ghosts or lags found in many
    > LCD
    > panels.
    >
    > I would like BIG. I currently have an 8 year old 21" Viewsonic. The
    > Viewsonic p225f says 22" (I think that model is about 3 years old - I
    > hate
    > buying old models) but it has the same viewable area as their G220FB (20")
    > unless I'm reading the specs wrong. I've had pretty good luck with the
    > bang
    > for the buck from Viewsonic though.
    >
    > I don't care how the case looks or if it has built in speakers or anything
    > else - what I care about is the quality of the picture and size of he
    > picture. I want bang for my buck.
    >
    > I realize not everyone is going to agree but I do appreciate your
    > suggestions.

    Oooh - I wonder if they'll have a 21" at the same time.

    > Viewsonic is introducing the world's first 4 msec response time 19" LCD in
    > late May. It should theoretically have the least ghosting of any model.
    > MSRP hinted to be aound $599 U.S.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> If space wasn't an issue so you could buy either a CRT or a panel what
    >> model
    >> would you get?
    >>
    >> Here are the requirements -
    >> Fast screen - I play games so I can't have ghosts or lags found in many
    >> LCD
    >> panels.
    >>
    >> I would like BIG. I currently have an 8 year old 21" Viewsonic. The
    >> Viewsonic p225f says 22" (I think that model is about 3 years old - I
    >> hate
    >> buying old models) but it has the same viewable area as their G220FB
    >> (20")
    >> unless I'm reading the specs wrong. I've had pretty good luck with the
    >> bang
    >> for the buck from Viewsonic though.
    >>
    >> I don't care how the case looks or if it has built in speakers or
    >> anything
    >> else - what I care about is the quality of the picture and size of he
    >> picture. I want bang for my buck.
    >>
    >> I realize not everyone is going to agree but I do appreciate your
    >> suggestions.

    I found something about that monitor -
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000087036297
    It looks nice but I want bigger if you know of anything.

    > Viewsonic is introducing the world's first 4 msec response time 19" LCD in
    > late May. It should theoretically have the least ghosting of any model.
    > MSRP hinted to be aound $599 U.S.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> If space wasn't an issue so you could buy either a CRT or a panel what
    >> model
    >> would you get?
    >>
    >> Here are the requirements -
    >> Fast screen - I play games so I can't have ghosts or lags found in many
    >> LCD
    >> panels.
    >>
    >> I would like BIG. I currently have an 8 year old 21" Viewsonic. The
    >> Viewsonic p225f says 22" (I think that model is about 3 years old - I
    >> hate
    >> buying old models) but it has the same viewable area as their G220FB
    >> (20")
    >> unless I'm reading the specs wrong. I've had pretty good luck with the
    >> bang
    >> for the buck from Viewsonic though.
    >>
    >> I don't care how the case looks or if it has built in speakers or
    >> anything
    >> else - what I care about is the quality of the picture and size of he
    >> picture. I want bang for my buck.
    >>
    >> I realize not everyone is going to agree but I do appreciate your
    >> suggestions.

    I bought this monitor about 2 weeks ago and I still feel in awe every time I
    sit down in front of it.
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4221&link_number=
    I heard of this monitor thru some gaming site review.
    Do a google search for something like "review Dell 2405FPW" and you'll see
    how they rave about it.
    I play UT2004 and WoW on it with ZERO ghosting or lag.
    I know you said $1,000 but if you can step it up $200 more, you will have an
    amazing deal.
    I'm going to be replacing my secondary monitor now with an identical 24"
    Dell LCD as soon as I have the moolah. Two of these babies side by side.
    Mmmmm! That's like 200 geek points!
    --
    Scotter

    "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If space wasn't an issue so you could buy either a CRT or a panel what
    > model
    > would you get?
    >
    > Here are the requirements -
    > Fast screen - I play games so I can't have ghosts or lags found in many
    > LCD
    > panels.
    >
    > I would like BIG. I currently have an 8 year old 21" Viewsonic. The
    > Viewsonic p225f says 22" (I think that model is about 3 years old - I
    > hate
    > buying old models) but it has the same viewable area as their G220FB (20")
    > unless I'm reading the specs wrong. I've had pretty good luck with the
    > bang
    > for the buck from Viewsonic though.
    >
    > I don't care how the case looks or if it has built in speakers or anything
    > else - what I care about is the quality of the picture and size of he
    > picture. I want bang for my buck.
    >
    > I realize not everyone is going to agree but I do appreciate your
    > suggestions.

    Are there many games that support the wide screen - e.g. Q3 engine, UT,
    Doom3, HalfLife, and Halo - as you can tell I really prefer the FPS.

    "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    >I bought this monitor about 2 weeks ago and I still feel in awe every time
    >I sit down in front of it.
    > http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4221&link_number=
    > I heard of this monitor thru some gaming site review.
    > Do a google search for something like "review Dell 2405FPW" and you'll see
    > how they rave about it.
    > I play UT2004 and WoW on it with ZERO ghosting or lag.
    > I know you said $1,000 but if you can step it up $200 more, you will have
    > an amazing deal.
    > I'm going to be replacing my secondary monitor now with an identical 24"
    > Dell LCD as soon as I have the moolah. Two of these babies side by side.
    > Mmmmm! That's like 200 geek points!
    > --
    > Scotter
    >

    > "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> If space wasn't an issue so you could buy either a CRT or a panel what
    >> model
    >> would you get?
    >>
    >> Here are the requirements -
    >> Fast screen - I play games so I can't have ghosts or lags found in many
    >> LCD
    >> panels.
    >>
    >> I would like BIG. I currently have an 8 year old 21" Viewsonic. The
    >> Viewsonic p225f says 22" (I think that model is about 3 years old - I
    >> hate
    >> buying old models) but it has the same viewable area as their G220FB
    >> (20")
    >> unless I'm reading the specs wrong. I've had pretty good luck with the
    >> bang
    >> for the buck from Viewsonic though.
    >>
    >> I don't care how the case looks or if it has built in speakers or
    >> anything
    >> else - what I care about is the quality of the picture and size of he
    >> picture. I want bang for my buck.
    >>
    >> I realize not everyone is going to agree but I do appreciate your
    >> suggestions.

    I´ve got a Benq 937s+ tft-flat 19,1" with 8 ms.
    It works operfect in games!

    www.benq.com (Detailed infos are on the german page) - The american page
    doesn´t have the 937s+ details, there is only the 937s.

    The 937s+ costs here about 410 EUR.

    > Viewsonic is introducing the world's first 4 msec response time 19" LCD in
    > late May. It should theoretically have the least ghosting of any model.
    > MSRP hinted to be aound $599 U.S.

    It must use the 45.23's.

    "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If space wasn't an issue so you could buy either a CRT or a panel what
    > model
    > would you get?
    >
    > Here are the requirements -
    > Fast screen - I play games so I can't have ghosts or lags found in many
    > LCD
    > panels.
    >
    > I would like BIG. I currently have an 8 year old 21" Viewsonic. The
    > Viewsonic p225f says 22" (I think that model is about 3 years old - I
    > hate
    > buying old models) but it has the same viewable area as their G220FB (20")
    > unless I'm reading the specs wrong. I've had pretty good luck with the
    > bang
    > for the buck from Viewsonic though.
    >
    > I don't care how the case looks or if it has built in speakers or anything
    > else - what I care about is the quality of the picture and size of he
    > picture. I want bang for my buck.
    >
    > I realize not everyone is going to agree but I do appreciate your
    > suggestions.

    http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050329/index.html

    This article is technically on 26" LCD TV sets, but they were tested as PC
    Gaming monitors as well. I'm only partway through reading it and the 2nd
    product tested ~ the Sharp Aquos LC 26 GA3 ~ had them remarking thusly:

    "The Sharp panel has a latency specification of 14 ms, and in practice, it's
    a real racehorse! The worst latency we measured was 23ms. That's literally
    better performance than our reference PC monitor, the BenQ FP71E+, except
    for the brightest colors, where our monitor recovered the lead. "

    "Let's just say that Sharp Aquos LC 26 GA3 LCD TV was extremely fast and
    showed almost no visible latency in movies and games. So if you're still
    looking for a really good monitor for gaming, and the cost doesn't scare
    you, the Sharp Aquos LC 26 GA3 is entirely PC compatible... "

    The price is listed as $1650 (yikes!) for a 26" diag 1280 x 768 native
    resolution screen... more than you wanted to hear- but that's one big
    mutherfluffer of a view!

    !bungle

    boe wrote:
    > If space wasn't an issue so you could buy either a CRT or a panel what model
    > would you get?
    >
    > Here are the requirements -
    > Fast screen - I play games so I can't have ghosts or lags found in many LCD
    > panels.
    >
    > I would like BIG. I currently have an 8 year old 21" Viewsonic. The
    > Viewsonic p225f says 22" (I think that model is about 3 years old - I hate
    > buying old models) but it has the same viewable area as their G220FB (20")
    > unless I'm reading the specs wrong. I've had pretty good luck with the bang
    > for the buck from Viewsonic though.
    >
    > I don't care how the case looks or if it has built in speakers or anything
    > else - what I care about is the quality of the picture and size of he
    > picture. I want bang for my buck.
    >
    > I realize not everyone is going to agree but I do appreciate your
    > suggestions.

    In the last week I've had the Dell 2001fp and the NEC/Mitsubishi
    FE2111SB (20" viewable) connected to my system. I returned the Dell and
    am keeping the NEC. Better blacks, better imaging, you are not stuck to
    the native resolution for the desktop..... If you do lan parties you
    want to stay away from CRTs but as you already have one you know that
    already. You can get it at Newegg for $530. They had .99 shipping when
    I ordered mine....don't know if they still have that. I know everyone
    is moving to LCDs but the combo of high native resolution (1600X1200 for
    the 2001fp) and too much brightness (to my eyes anyway) made it a bad
    fit for me. Hard on the eyes and headaches....but alot of people are
    not bothered by this. Of course, response time and ghosting is no issue
    with CRTs.

    --

    Remove 24 to reply.

Nvidia Viewsonic Graphics Product