New Graphics card on old PC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 29, 2005 2:05:47 AM

I have a motherboard epox 8k7a on an older PC with an AMD 1333MHz
processor.
It has only 256MB PC2100/266 DDR RAM and an old geforce 2 card.

Do you think it would we worthwile to buy 512 MB ram and a geforce
FX5700 for that machine.

Would I be able to play the latest games on reduced graphics then ?

( From the few statements I heard it seems the graphics card make so
much of the gaming experience this would be a worthwile experiment )

Motherboard specs are :

CPU Interface Socket A (462) Duron/Athlon
Chipset AMD 761 North Bridge, VIA VT82686B South Bridge
FSB 200Mhz/266Mhz (100Mhz/133Mhz)
RAM 2 184 pin DDR DIMM slots supporting a max of 1GB
Expansion 6 PCI (33Mhz, 32 bit), 1 AGP 4x
IDE 2 Ultra DMA-66/100 (up to 4 devices)
I/O 1 PS/2 Keyboard
1PS/2 Mouse
4 USB Ports (2 optional)
1 Parallel Port
2 Serial Ports
1 Joystick/Midi OnboardSound (AC97, speaker out, line in, mic)
Support Wake on LAN
Wake on Modem
KBPO (Keyboard Power On)
STR (Suspend To RAM)
POST LED Display
POSTMAN (Power On Self Test with huMAN-like voice alarm)
BIOS Award Plug & Play 6.0
Software Drivers & GHOST 5.1

More about : graphics card

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:16:08 PM

"Maxx Taxx" <matsqqqq@hotmail.com> wrote in message

" Do you think it would we worthwile to buy 512 MB ram and a geforce FX5700
for that machine. Would I be able to play the latest games on reduced
graphics then ? "

Worthwhile? It depends on how much money you want to spend. There's only a
certain amount you can do to upgrade on that particular motherboard (
http://www.epox.com.tw/eng/products_content.php?ps=109 ).

If you have the money, it may be worth doing the following:

1) Sell the Athlon, RAM and GeForce2 at www.ebay.com
2) Buy an Athlon XP 2400+ http://tinyurl.com/3zaf9 $75.00
3) Buy 2x 512MB Kingmax PC3200 http://tinyurl.com/4dvsp $72.99
4) Buy an AGP 6600GT card for between $180 and $200.

So why have I suggested this? Well, the 6600GT has a newer Pixel Shader
model than the FX5xxx series cards, which helps more with newer games.
You'll also be able to move the card and the PC3200 RAM to a newer system
when the time comes. The Athlon XP 2400+ will maximize your current
motherboards potential, and you'll be able to sell that on eBay when time
comes to upgrade. Given that AMD have stopped production of the Athlon XP,
it should keep its value.
!