Windows XP | Blue Screen Error | infinite loop | Geforce 6..

Hello;
I changed from an Asylum Geforce 4200ti 128M AGP8X
to a MSI NX6600GT-VTD128 AGP8X and got random
bluescreen errors in WinXP that said:
DEVICE DRIVER GOT STUCK IN AN INFINITE LOOP
DEVICE ITSELF OR DEVICE DRIVER IS PROGRAMMING THE
HARDWARE INCORRECTLY. I have no such trouble with
the old video card and I tried several different
versions of the NVIDIA drivers with the very same
hang. This problem only happens with hardware
D3D pipeline rendering, whatever that means.
I very much suspect the card to be defective from
the start so I sent it back for replacement and
am waiting for that to happen.
Went back to the old card and no hangs.

If I used software rendering instead of hardware
everything worked fine but only 2/3 as fast.

anyone else have such a problem ?

The machine I am using is:
Gigabyte Motherboard 8s648fx-L
Intel P4 3GHz
MT 1G Ram DDR 400 PC3200 cl=3 2.6V
BIOS voltage for DRAM set to NORMAL
Latest Nvidia drivers
System passes memtest86v3.2 just fine

Does anyone of know of a utility to
thoroughly test video ram ?
I think a ramtest for video cards would be a great help in screening.

--
Regards;
gmv

gmv wrote:
> Hello;
> I changed from an Asylum Geforce 4200ti 128M AGP8X
> to a MSI NX6600GT-VTD128 AGP8X and got random
> bluescreen errors in WinXP that said:
> DEVICE DRIVER GOT STUCK IN AN INFINITE LOOP
> DEVICE ITSELF OR DEVICE DRIVER IS PROGRAMMING THE
> HARDWARE INCORRECTLY. I have no such trouble with
> the old video card and I tried several different
> versions of the NVIDIA drivers with the very same
> hang. This problem only happens with hardware
> D3D pipeline rendering, whatever that means.
> I very much suspect the card to be defective from
> the start so I sent it back for replacement and
> am waiting for that to happen.
> Went back to the old card and no hangs.

Do you have the right AGP drivers for the chipset loaded?

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

"Robert Hancock" <hancockr@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message news:rF43e.862212$Xk.405779@pd7tw3no...
> gmv wrote:
>> Hello;
>> I changed from an Asylum Geforce 4200ti 128M AGP8X
>> to a MSI NX6600GT-VTD128 AGP8X and got random
>> bluescreen errors in WinXP that said:
>> DEVICE DRIVER GOT STUCK IN AN INFINITE LOOP
>> DEVICE ITSELF OR DEVICE DRIVER IS PROGRAMMING THE
>> HARDWARE INCORRECTLY. I have no such trouble with
>> the old video card and I tried several different
>> versions of the NVIDIA drivers with the very same
>> hang. This problem only happens with hardware
>> D3D pipeline rendering, whatever that means.
>> I very much suspect the card to be defective from
>> the start so I sent it back for replacement and
>> am waiting for that to happen.
>> Went back to the old card and no hangs.
>
> Do you have the right AGP drivers for the chipset loaded?

You are talking about something I know nothing about.
I did not know AGP ports need drivers to work.
I thought it was all hardware controlled.
Sort of like a bus of some kind with microsequencers
to make it all work. All a bus does is push data here and there.
The error is random. Sometimes I can go completely
through a program with no troubles but then I will
run it again and it will hang. Sometimes it happens
right off the bat and sometimes not. But it is
always related to Hardware/Pure Hardware D3D and
not software D3D. Someone understands what that means.
The hangs only happen with the MSI6600GT card.
I have heard that you can get a considerable voltage drop
if you locate the card at the very end of the cable
and it draws high amperage. The failures only seem to happen
during times of high video activity.
In any case I get no hangs with my Gf 4200ti card so
I really think it was the 6600GT card I sent back.
It was not overclocked and never was so it must be defective.
I expect a repair to happen or another card to be sent soon
so I will then know if for sure it was the card or something
strange with my own machine. My hardware passes all the diagnostics I run.
I just hope like the dickens they do not just return
the same card I returned to them. I got the serial number
of the original card...hopefully it is printed on the
next card I get so I can know what card it is.
Serial numbers should be blasted into ram so software
can read it too. If the darn card manufacturers would
standardize their register maps someone might make a decent
diagnostic program for video cards in general.
My video card has 128MB RAM and my AGP Aperture is set at
256MB...does that mean anything...I got one more setting for
512MB and was wondering if that is any better ???
I'll check out the AGP driver issue even though I really think
a port should never need a driver of a software kind.

> --
> Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
> To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@nospamshaw.ca
> Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/

snowblind

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:53:24 GMT, "gmv" <noemail@please.123> wrote:

>Gigabyte Motherboard 8s648fx-L
ok i had the same exact problem you are having to a tee.....what it is
is the SiS chipset on your MB......6600gt hates it so i got a new asus
p4p800se motherboard with the intel chipset and problem
solved!!!......after getting the new mobo u can really start loving
the 6600gt....its a great card....i have the bfg oc model and love
it....hope this helps good luck!!

Gee...you must be rich to be able to play around like that.
If there is such an issue I would think more folks
would be reporting it. There are a lot of sis boards out there.
How can you be so certain it is the Sisxxx chipset ???
Thanks for your reply.

btw..how do you know it is not the Gigabyte motherboard that
does not like the 6600GT and not the other way around ??
I mean if you had the exact same trouble you tried only
the MSI card and not the BFG card ??
I just do not have the money to play around like that
things need to work the first time for me or my
goose is cooked.

"snowblind" <butch@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:l59r411i9nokv5h76s9csh97hgbil3jdrr@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:53:24 GMT, "gmv" <noemail@please.123> wrote:
>
>>Gigabyte Motherboard 8s648fx-L
> ok i had the same exact problem you are having to a tee.....what it is
> is the SiS chipset on your MB......6600gt hates it so i got a new asus
> p4p800se motherboard with the intel chipset and problem
> solved!!!......after getting the new mobo u can really start loving
> the 6600gt....its a great card....i have the bfg oc model and love
> it....hope this helps good luck!!

snowblind

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 21:41:11 GMT, "gmv" <noemail@please.123> wrote:

>Gee...you must be rich to be able to play around like that.
>If there is such an issue I would think more folks
>would be reporting it. There are a lot of sis boards out there.
>How can you be so certain it is the Sisxxx chipset ???
>Thanks for your reply.
>
>btw..how do you know it is not the Gigabyte motherboard that
>does not like the 6600GT and not the other way around ??
>I mean if you had the exact same trouble you tried only
>the MSI card and not the BFG card ??
>I just do not have the money to play around like that
>things need to work the first time for me or my
>goose is cooked.
>

>"snowblind" <butch@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:l59r411i9nokv5h76s9csh97hgbil3jdrr@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:53:24 GMT, "gmv" <noemail@please.123> wrote:
>>
>>>Gigabyte Motherboard 8s648fx-L
>> ok i had the same exact problem you are having to a tee.....what it is
>> is the SiS chipset on your MB......6600gt hates it so i got a new asus
>> p4p800se motherboard with the intel chipset and problem
>> solved!!!......after getting the new mobo u can really start loving
>> the 6600gt....its a great card....i have the bfg oc model and love
>> it....hope this helps good luck!!

goto nvidiaforums....thats where i found my solution to this
problem......many many people there with sis chipsets have posted
there woes...sorry to say im almost positive thats your
trouble.....and im far from rich newegg has that mobo for less than a
100$......good luck again.....remember ive been there dude