Anyone know where I can get a driver update for the GeForc..

The latest XP drivers from nvidia.com don't support it (nice one nvidia,
BTW), so I continually get the message "the nvidia setup program could not
locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. setup
will now exit" everytime I run it.

Any help appreciated.

"wotsayyou" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> The latest XP drivers from nvidia.com don't support it (nice one nvidia,
> BTW), so I continually get the message "the nvidia setup program could not
> locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. setup
> will now exit" everytime I run it.
>
> Any help appreciated.

Since it's a notebook graphics chipset, the drivers should be downloaded
from the website of the notebook manufacturer.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"wotsayyou" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> The latest XP drivers from nvidia.com don't support it (nice one nvidia,
> BTW), so I continually get the message "the nvidia setup program could not
> locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. setup
> will now exit" everytime I run it.
>
> Any help appreciated.

Since it's a notebook graphics chipset, the drivers should be downloaded
from the website of the notebook manufacturer.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"wotsayyou" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> The latest XP drivers from nvidia.com don't support it (nice one nvidia,
> BTW), so I continually get the message "the nvidia setup program could not
> locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. setup
> will now exit" everytime I run it.
>
> Any help appreciated.

Like has been mentioned already, this from the FAQ section from nvidia.com.
Sounds like you have no reason for blaming nvidia for not supplying a driver
for your notebook based video card;
URL may wrap :)
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7&p_created=1096392991&p_sid=*_3vD-Bh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9ODEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1zZWFyY2hfZm5sJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPTImcF9jYXRfbHZsMT01OCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

Display drivers for mobile Geforce/Quadro GPUs

Question

Where can I download mobile drivers for GeForce Go or Quadro Go mobile GPUs?

Answer

Mobile GPU's like the GeForce Go and Quadro Go family of mobile GPU's use
drivers that have been customized to support hot key functions, power
management functions, lid close and suspend/resume behavior that are
normally found in notebooks. The reference drivers that are provided by
NVIDIA on our driver downloads page do not include these custom features.
NVIDIA reference drivers are UDA compatible and will run on an NVIDIA
notebook GPU but other functions like suspend/resume, display brightness,
etc. are not supported. To locate the latest drivers for your mobile GPU,
visit the drivers page for your notebook manufacturer. Since UDA drivers
support backward compatibility more recent drivers for more recent notebook
models from the same notebook vendor typically provide enhancements and
maintain support for hot/keys and suspend/resume behavior.

"theotherBob" <dewar@mchsi.com> wrote in message

> "wotsayyou" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> > The latest XP drivers from nvidia.com don't support it (nice one nvidia,
> > BTW), so I continually get the message "the nvidia setup program could
not
> > locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. setup
> > will now exit" everytime I run it.
> >
> > Any help appreciated.
>
> Like has been mentioned already, this from the FAQ section from
nvidia.com.
> Sounds like you have no reason for blaming nvidia for not supplying a
driver
> for your notebook based video card;
> URL may wrap :)

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqi
d=7&p_created=1096392991&p_sid=*_3vD-Bh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5
PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9ODEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1zZWFyY2hfZm5sJnBfcHJv
ZF9sdmwxPTImcF9jYXRfbHZsMT01OCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

> Display drivers for mobile Geforce/Quadro GPUs
>
> Question
>
> Where can I download mobile drivers for GeForce Go or Quadro Go mobile
GPUs?

> Answer
>
> Mobile GPU's like the GeForce Go and Quadro Go family of mobile GPU's use
> drivers that have been customized to support hot key functions, power
> management functions, lid close and suspend/resume behavior that are
> normally found in notebooks. The reference drivers that are provided by
> NVIDIA on our driver downloads page do not include these custom features.
> NVIDIA reference drivers are UDA compatible and will run on an NVIDIA
> notebook GPU but other functions like suspend/resume, display brightness,
> etc. are not supported. To locate the latest drivers for your mobile GPU,
> visit the drivers page for your notebook manufacturer. Since UDA drivers
> support backward compatibility more recent drivers for more recent
notebook
> models from the same notebook vendor typically provide enhancements and
> maintain support for hot/keys and suspend/resume behavior.

Thanks for the link and information.

Nvidia designed the cards for laptops / notebooks, didn't they ? Why
shouldn't they support / supply drivers that sport notebook functions ?
Sounds like a major cop out to me.

Enlighten me if I'm missing something. It has happened before.

"wotsayyou" <somewhere@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the link and information.
>
> Nvidia designed the cards for laptops / notebooks, didn't they ? Why
> shouldn't they support / supply drivers that sport notebook functions ?
> Sounds like a major cop out to me.
>
> Enlighten me if I'm missing something. It has happened before.

That's exactly it - they designed the graphics cards - not the notebooks.
They can't support features they had no hand in developing. That's why the
notebook companies themselves have to develop their own driver sets. No two
notebooks are exactly alike.

RF

RaceFace wrote:

> That's exactly it - they designed the graphics cards - not the
> notebooks. They can't support features they had no hand in
> developing. That's why the notebook companies themselves have to
> develop their own driver sets. No two notebooks are exactly alike.

Well, they can easily support the mobile graphics in notebook, because even
when notebooks aren't alike, the GPUs are, especially since no notebook
manufacturer implements and additional gfx features (because they can't).
It's simply a political thing that ATI and Nvidia don't support their mobile
products, because this way they can offload the support costs to the
notebook manufacturers. It's definitely no technical reason...

But it seems that this is going to change, as both ATI and Nvidia are
planning on implementing support for their mobile product in the generic
drivers somewhen in the near future...

Benjamin