Lose Access to Shared Printer after logging off

Have a laptop running XP connected to a wireless network where the main desktop pc is running W2000 Prof. Printer is attached by USB to the W2k pc. I can connect to this printer from the laptop, but to get to it I have to enter the user name and password of the desktop before the printer shows up as available. Once I connect everything is fine - for that session only. If I switch users on the laptop or logoff, when I come back on, the printer says Access Denied, unable to connect. I could live with having to enter the id and pwd to reconnect, but can't figure out how to do that so I keep deleting and reconnecting to this printer in order to use it. On the main pc, I granted access to all users for the printer (including network and anything else I could think of that might be what I need)

So, if anyone can point me in the right direction on how to get and keep the printer connected to the laptop I would appreciate it!

Okay, I found a way to get connected again, by doing a Search for computers, finding the desktop and entering the password here. This enables file sharing and "wakes up" the existing printer connections. This is fine for me, but the other users in my household are pretty unsophisticated and I would like to be able to resolve this so that they can just log on to their accounts and print if needed.

Any ideas out there?????