Do owners of a 6600GT regret getting a 6800GT ???

wookie

I'm building a new system and of course the inevitable question as to which
video card to get. I am going to get a NF4 board, not SLI, as I can't see
the real benefit per cost ratio. I currently have a 9800 PRO .... but I'm
giving this machine to my wife and kids and I'm building a new machine. I
typically play a lot of FPS games at 1024x768 no AA and 8AF . or even at
1280 resolution sometimes ... never at 1600 resolution.

I'm looking at a 6600GT, ATI X800XL, 6800GT. All very nice cards ... and of
course the prices go up .. do you want to spend 180"ish dollars for a 6600GT
(MSI) or X800XL for 300$ (Sapphire) or a 6800GT (Leadtek or MSI) for 380 $
ish dollars. All very nice cards .. but how much is too much for a card? I
don't think prices are going down in the near future. And going with a SLI
board and buying a 6600GT now and another 660GT in 6 months to a year sounds
like to me that you should have just bought a 6800GT in the first place as
SLI is pretty nice for some things .. but is not universally faster than
just one 6800 GT or X800XL.

So I'm asking you owners of 6600 GT's .... do you find that your play is
limited because you opted for the less expensive card? And owners of a
6800GT's do you think that you spent too much and your card is way of an
overkill?

I am married with children, so I really can't spend all my cash on computer
equipment just to have the fastest machine for 6 months ... but I also
appreciate quality products and I've never spent more than 210$ for a video
card .... I'm not to sure that the performance edge of an X800XL or 6800GT
is enough to make me want to spend that much money.

Thanks for any reasonable comments

Personally i think once you start paying significantly more than the cpu for
a gpu its time to either reconfigure the system or consider what your doing.
cause really the cpu plays a major part in the whole thing.

even after the above rule i stop past 66oogt prices(not that i can afford
that anyway) the 6600gt is a great card but if you wanna play games in that
way you need as many pipelines as you can get a 6800gt is what you want. to
continue that standard.

Wookie wrote:

> So I'm asking you owners of 6600 GT's .... do you find that your play
> is limited because you opted for the less expensive card?

I don't feel limited when my 6600GT allowed me to play games like HL² at
1680x1050 with max details...

As always, it depends. Of course a 6800GT is faster than a 6600GT. But then,
I don't care if I have say 80fps or 100fps as long as the frame rate doesn't
break in even in complex scenes. My monitor (Dell 2005FPW) is limited to
1680x1050 so I don't need a card that's fast at much higher resolutions...

> I am married with children, so I really can't spend all my cash on
> computer equipment just to have the fastest machine for 6 months ...
> but I also appreciate quality products and I've never spent more than
> 210$ for a video card .... I'm not to sure that the performance edge
> of an X800XL or 6800GT is enough to make me want to spend that much
> money.

Money isn't usually that much of issue for me, but I simply see no reason to
spend that much money for a card like the 6800GT, especially when a much
cheaper 6600GT lets me play all current games as good as the expensive
6800GT, and also offers features (like the HDTV support) the 6800GT/Ultra
don't have...

In the past the best bang for Your buck always has been the midrange. In the
end it's cheaper to buy a midrange card for example every two years than
buying a expensive highend card every three years, and You won't really
loose any functionality...

Benjamin

Go for the 6600GT and enjoy both games AND your family. I have the XFX
6600GT (with the 2nd generation fan) and play HL2, Far Cry and IL2
Pacific Fighters with detail and frame-rates that give plenty of
enjoyment.

Tom B
On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 21:37:38 -0700, "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote:

>I'm building a new system and of course the inevitable question as to which
>video card to get. I am going to get a NF4 board, not SLI, as I can't see
>the real benefit per cost ratio. I currently have a 9800 PRO .... but I'm
>giving this machine to my wife and kids and I'm building a new machine. I
>typically play a lot of FPS games at 1024x768 no AA and 8AF . or even at
>1280 resolution sometimes ... never at 1600 resolution.
>
>I'm looking at a 6600GT, ATI X800XL, 6800GT. All very nice cards ... and of
>course the prices go up .. do you want to spend 180"ish dollars for a 6600GT
>(MSI) or X800XL for 300$ (Sapphire) or a 6800GT (Leadtek or MSI) for 380 $
>ish dollars. All very nice cards .. but how much is too much for a card? I
>don't think prices are going down in the near future. And going with a SLI
>board and buying a 6600GT now and another 660GT in 6 months to a year sounds
>like to me that you should have just bought a 6800GT in the first place as
>SLI is pretty nice for some things .. but is not universally faster than
>just one 6800 GT or X800XL.
>
>So I'm asking you owners of 6600 GT's .... do you find that your play is
>limited because you opted for the less expensive card? And owners of a
>6800GT's do you think that you spent too much and your card is way of an
>overkill?
>
>I am married with children, so I really can't spend all my cash on computer
>equipment just to have the fastest machine for 6 months ... but I also
>appreciate quality products and I've never spent more than 210$ for a video
>card .... I'm not to sure that the performance edge of an X800XL or 6800GT
>is enough to make me want to spend that much money.
>
> Thanks for any reasonable comments

Wookie <Tom@comcast.net> wrote:
> Art,
> The BFG 6800GT OC is a very respectable card by today's standards
> and it sounds like you weren't to impressed and went with an X800
> after that.

Read my posting again - I got the X800 pro first, and returned it to the
store and got the 6800GT instead. I'm not too impressed with that either,
but it's slightly better than the X800 pro for my use -- at least it lets me
do video overlays without having to switch to clone mode first, even if it
can't scale up the overlays to the current resolution, and you can't turn
off the overlay once it's playing, and it uses way more CPU for video than
any other card.

> Thanks for the inputs on 1600x1200 .... I think that is the crux of
> it all .. the 6800GT and X800 XL are better at higher resolutions. I
> do have a 22 inch CRT Phillips monitor .. it is very nice and it
> would support those settings, but .... I really don't have that
> good of eyesight that 1600x1200 resolution is going to mean much to
> me.

Same here -- I can't honestly see much difference between 1600x1200 and
1280x960, at least not when things are moving. And I'm too old for it to
matter any to me whether I get 40 fps or 75 fps. The reason why I got a
mid-high range consumer card was because I needed full DirectX 9 support,
and had heard that the cheaper cards don't have multiple RAMDACs, and thus
don't work really well with multiple monitors.
However, I'm really tempted to cut my losses and go back to the Parhelia due
to the limitations and problems with the 6800GT. It's damn fast and does
all the new games, though, I'll give it that.

It all depends on what you use it for. The way I use a video card, it
doesn't seem ideal, but if gaming is the #1 activity, I don't think you can
go wrong with it. Yes, SLI or a 6800 Ultra would be faster, but the price
increase is rather high for the extra speed.

Regards,
--
*Art

Don't overlook the 6800(non-gt,ultra etc.). Looks like a decent card for the
price and can be modded.

dawg <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Don't overlook the 6800(non-gt,ultra etc.). Looks like a decent card
> for the price and can be modded.

True. The plain 6800 and 6600GT also have a newer GPU without the video
assist problems of the 6800GT/Ultra.

Regards,
--
*Art

wookie

Thanks for everyone's advice .. I will go look at some 6800 reviews .. it
seems as though they are moddable but not to popular to review.

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 21:21:48 -0400, "Arthur Hagen" <art@broomstick.com>
wrote:

>One reason why you should believe me is because I, unlike you, have
>experience with the Parhelia *and* other cards --

And you would know this..... how?

Geez.

Folk <Folk@folk.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 21:21:48 -0400, "Arthur Hagen" <art@broomstick.com>
> wrote:
>

>> One reason why you should believe me is because I, unlike you, have
>> experience with the Parhelia *and* other cards --
>
> And you would know this..... how?
>
> Geez.

Because of your statement:

--
*Art

"Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm building a new system and of course the inevitable question as to
> which video card to get. I am going to get a NF4 board, not SLI, as
> I can't see the real benefit per cost ratio. I currently have a 9800
> PRO .... but I'm giving this machine to my wife and kids and I'm
> building a new machine. I typically play a lot of FPS games at
> 1024x768 no AA and 8AF . or even at 1280 resolution sometimes ...
> never at 1600 resolution.
> I'm looking at a 6600GT, ATI X800XL, 6800GT. All very nice cards ...
> and of course the prices go up .. do you want to spend 180"ish
> dollars for a 6600GT (MSI) or X800XL for 300$ (Sapphire) or a 6800GT
> (Leadtek or MSI) for 380 $ ish dollars. All very nice cards .. but
> how much is too much for a card? I don't think prices are going down
> in the near future. And going with a SLI board and buying a 6600GT
> now and another 660GT in 6 months to a year sounds like to me that
> you should have just bought a 6800GT in the first place as SLI is
> pretty nice for some things .. but is not universally faster than
> just one 6800 GT or X800XL.
> So I'm asking you owners of 6600 GT's .... do you find that your play
> is limited because you opted for the less expensive card? And
> owners of a 6800GT's do you think that you spent too much and your
> card is way of an overkill?
>
> I am married with children, so I really can't spend all my cash on
> computer equipment just to have the fastest machine for 6 months ...
> but I also appreciate quality products and I've never spent more than
> 210$ for a video card .... I'm not to sure that the performance edge
> of an X800XL or 6800GT is enough to make me want to spend that much
> money.
> Thanks for any reasonable comments

I'm a father of 4, grandpa of 6.8, and fend for a household of 1... me.
I've never spent more than $400 on a video card. And I've done that a
few times. The latest was for a eVGA 6800GT. Just two months earlier,
$300 on a eVGA 6800 non U/GT. I haven't used any of the 6600 series,
but from the specs I'd think they're lacking some things and won't be as
fast in the current crop of FPS with all the goodies on. I don't regret
buying the 6800 GT-256 meg card at all. I should have gotten it first.
The 6800-128 will go to my son. The kids love freebies yaknow :)
McG.

wookie

So the 6800 doesn't come close to the 6800GT ehh? Did you try using Riva
Tuner to enable the extra pipelines and OC a wee bit. I guess all in all
you are going to get about a 10% or so increase by OC'ing and MAYBE get the
extra pipelines. Well you're a good Grandpa giving the 6800 to your kids ..
I'm not to sure how you can have 6.8 grandkids thought... and Just about all
6800 GT's are dang near 400 bucks with the cheapest around 350$ now. Does
the ASUS 128 mb 6800GT count as an official 6800 card if it doesn't have
DDR3?

> So the 6800 doesn't come close to the 6800GT ehh? Did you try using
> Riva Tuner to enable the extra pipelines and OC a wee bit. I guess
> all in all you are going to get about a 10% or so increase by OC'ing
> and MAYBE get the extra pipelines. Well you're a good Grandpa giving
> the 6800 to your kids .. I'm not to sure how you can have 6.8
> grandkids thought... and Just about all 6800 GT's are dang near 400
> bucks with the cheapest around 350$ now. Does the ASUS 128 mb 6800GT
> count as an official 6800 card if it doesn't have DDR3?

$350 is the lowest price I've seen so far. With the 6800 I did try the
soft unlock, and it didn't work with that card. It was still 12p 5t.
It's also 128 megs of DDR, not 256 megs DDR3. The 6800 GPU is also
different from the 6800 GT according to nVidia.

I'm getting about 25% more performance from the GT, even in just
1024x768. It keeps that lead in Doom3, HL2, Far Cry as well. And at
1280x1024 the 6800 drops off in performance a bit with these games and
the GT doesn't. No overclocking at all. Good overall performance from
this rig.
For me, it was worth the $100 more. The differences between the GT,
Ultra and Ultra Extreme are speed and cooling. Same GPU, ram,
functions, pipes, etc.

Because of the hardware differences, I look at the 6800 as being in a
class by itself. It's somewhere between the 6600's and 6800 GT and up.

Yeah, I do give the kids quite a lot of computer stuff. None of them
are complaining :) I'll be getting the 9800 Pro back to put in one of
the other machines. It all works out.
Grandkids. There are 6 grandkids out and about, living it up, giving
the moms n pops a great time keeping up with them. My youngest daughter
has her 2nd baby on the way, 7 months along. That's the " .8 " part ;)

McG.

>> "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm building a new system and of course the inevitable question as
>>> to which video card to get. I am going to get a NF4 board, not
>>> SLI, as I can't see the real benefit per cost ratio. I currently
>>> have a 9800 PRO .... but I'm giving this machine to my wife and
>>> kids and I'm building a new machine. I typically play a lot of FPS
>>> games at 1024x768 no AA and 8AF . or even at 1280 resolution
>>> sometimes ... never at 1600 resolution.
>>> I'm looking at a 6600GT, ATI X800XL, 6800GT. All very nice cards
>>> ... and of course the prices go up .. do you want to spend 180"ish
>>> dollars for a 6600GT (MSI) or X800XL for 300$ (Sapphire) or a 6800GT
>>> (Leadtek or MSI) for 380 $ ish dollars. All very nice cards .. but
>>> how much is too much for a card? I don't think prices are going
>>> down in the near future. And going with a SLI board and buying a
>>> 6600GT now and another 660GT in 6 months to a year sounds like to
>>> me that you should have just bought a 6800GT in the first place as
>>> SLI is pretty nice for some things .. but is not universally faster
>>> than just one 6800 GT or X800XL.
>>> So I'm asking you owners of 6600 GT's .... do you find that your
>>> play is limited because you opted for the less expensive card? And
>>> owners of a 6800GT's do you think that you spent too much and your
>>> card is way of an overkill?
>>>
>>> I am married with children, so I really can't spend all my cash on
>>> computer equipment just to have the fastest machine for 6 months ...
>>> but I also appreciate quality products and I've never spent
>>> more than 210$ for a video card .... I'm not to sure that the
>>> performance edge of an X800XL or 6800GT is enough to make me want
>>> to spend that much money.
>>> Thanks for any reasonable comments
>>
>> I'm a father of 4, grandpa of 6.8, and fend for a household of 1...
>> me. I've never spent more than $400 on a video card. And I've done
>> that a few times. The latest was for a eVGA 6800GT. Just two
>> months earlier, $300 on a eVGA 6800 non U/GT. I haven't used any of
>> the 6600 series, but from the specs I'd think they're lacking some
>> things and won't be as fast in the current crop of FPS with all the
>> goodies on. I don't regret buying the 6800 GT-256 meg card at all. I
>> should have gotten it first. The 6800-128 will go to my son. The
>> kids love freebies yaknow :) McG.

wookie

Good luck to your daughter.

McGrandpa wrote:

> Well read Arts posts again about *WHAT* he uses it for. Matrox does
> have the dual head down to a fine art, and tend to cater to non-gaming
> 2D/3D applications.

Well, it's not only games where Matrox doesn't excel. The performance with
everything other which is 3D is very poor, too.

Benjamin

"Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
>
>> Well read Arts posts again about *WHAT* he uses it for. Matrox does
>> have the dual head down to a fine art, and tend to cater to
>> non-gaming 2D/3D applications.
>
> Well, it's not only games where Matrox doesn't excel. The performance
> with everything other which is 3D is very poor, too.
>
> Benjamin

The card WAS produced during the BX440 chipset heyday. It's an old
card. The Parhelia came out while I was using a TnT2Ultra 32 meg card
:) Anandtech regarded it as rather "quirky" and not very good for
gaming at the time. But it was Toms Hardware talking about some of the
features on the good 3D cards and why they were good. Those articles on
those two sites likely caused many people to avoid Matrox from then on.
Gamers, that is.
McG.

McGrandpa wrote:

> A G200 16 meg card was my first AGP vid card. 440BX was my first AGP
> mobo, Abit BH6. I was surprised at how good the picture looked.

Yes, the Matrox cards always had a very good analog signal quality.

> But
> wasn't so surprised when it didn't do games that well. So many things
> have changed since those days. My eyes, memory are fading...I no
> longer use CRT's, replaced them with LCD's. I'd have to look at my
> old 'puter stuff receipts to be sure, but it seemed to be in '90 I
> got the BH6,

I remember that the i440BX came out around end-97 because after Xmas
holidays '97/'98 we got our brand new HP Kayaks with Dual PII-400s and
i440BX chipset that replaced the former Kayaks with PII-333 and i440LX.

> and was just a year or a little more the Parhelia was
> being bragged about by Matrox and flamed by nearly everyone else :)

You can see here at what time the Parhelia came out:
http://www.matrox.com/mga/workstation/3dws/news/press_rel/home.cfm

Sadly, it doesn't go back beyond 2002 but the Parhelia really was announced
in 2002...

> I decided not to go with a G400 or any other Matrox card, because I
> wanted good 3D. So, I picked up a Diamond Viper 770 Ultra (TnT2U). And
> thereby got the first *good* Diamond card I ever owned :) Now I
> know I didn't get this card while it was still 'fresh'. It'd been
> around a while. But it still cost over $200, and was one of the
> hottest cards around at the time. I think it was replaced by the
> first GForce card. By then, Matrox wasn't even being talked about
> though. I forget which Quake I bought the 770U for... Surely it was
> Quake 2 :) Don't get old man.... it's not healthy!

I don't think it's You're getting old. It's really difficult not to loose
overview when new products basically arrive monthly. I also have to check my
saved documents and announcements quite often, otherwise I couldn't remember
which was sold when...

Benjamin

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 05:38:40 -0400, "Arthur Hagen"
<art@broomstick.com> wrote:

>For what it's worth, Matrox is generally regarded as the king of 2d.

That was true back in '97. It doesn't mean squat today.

wookie

It's 2D, that hasn't changed very much since then.. not exactly cutting edge
like 3D rendering ..
"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 05:38:40 -0400, "Arthur Hagen"
> <art@broomstick.com> wrote:
>

>>For what it's worth, Matrox is generally regarded as the king of 2d.
>
> That was true back in '97. It doesn't mean squat today.

> A G200 16 meg card was my first AGP vid card. 440BX was my first AGP
> mobo, Abit BH6.

Ahhh, the BH6. What a board. I had one also. In fact, my nephew's machine
is still running it. That board has been going strong for 7 years now!

"Mr. Brian Allen" <blah@blah.com> wrote in message
>> A G200 16 meg card was my first AGP vid card. 440BX was my first AGP
>> mobo, Abit BH6.
>
> Ahhh, the BH6. What a board. I had one also. In fact, my nephew's
> machine is still running it. That board has been going strong for 7
> years now!

I got two, one for me, then later one for my son. They've been to all 4
of my kids, and due to upgrading their stuff, they're home again with
me. They both still run. So do the BE6-II and BF6 which both have
coppermines in them. These boards are great, in terms of quality.
They'll do for the grandkids beginner boxes I guess :)
McG.