Why is the video card industry driven by games but not the..

boe

Lets face it just about everything from the 5500 and up are aimed at
gamers - IMO.

I would imagine anyone willing to pay $500 for a video card they will
replace in 2 years would be willing to pay a good amount for a screen that
should last them at LEAST 5 years. So why don't the monitor/screen
manufacturers go gaga about making something gamers and graphic developers
would want.

I would imagine I'm not the only person who would like something say about
24" that has great colors, high resolution 1600, a fast refresh - 8ms or
less and in a standard monitor format. The wide screen models are nice but
how about the standard format too?

Frankly I'd buy a CRT if I could get one designed for a PC (not a TV HDTV or
otherwise pretending to be a monitor). The only reason is that I've tested
the $1000 dell LCD everyone is mentioning and while it is nice, it doesn't
compare in colors to a CRT. Also I know some people would like the wide
screen format but since I do work on it as well, a standard format would be
better for me.

Just me whining, not very productive but I figure if just three people
started jumping up and down - it would be a movement.

boe

BTW - I've e-mailed Philips, LG, Samsung, Viewsonic, BenQ and Sony to (not
whining) to find out if they have anything on the way that meets these
specs. I'll be sure to post back if I hear anything. Of course if enough
people were to e-mail them, they might realize the market niche is ready. I
understand they work together on some screens so asking each individually
certainly doesn't hurt.

http://www.feedback.philips.com/contact/?country=US&language=en

http://www.lgservice.com/gcsc/b2c/hpi/main

http://erms.samsungelectronics.com/customer/form/formmail/SEA/input_SEA.jsp?SITE_ID=1&PROD_ID=28

http://www.viewsonic.com/support/index.htm

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/emailform-display.pl?template=EN

http://www.benq.us/serviceandsupport/contact/index.cfm?region=78&query=1

"boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Lets face it just about everything from the 5500 and up are aimed at
> gamers - IMO.
>
> I would imagine anyone willing to pay $500 for a video card they will
> replace in 2 years would be willing to pay a good amount for a screen that
> should last them at LEAST 5 years. So why don't the monitor/screen
> manufacturers go gaga about making something gamers and graphic developers
> would want.
>
> I would imagine I'm not the only person who would like something say about
> 24" that has great colors, high resolution 1600, a fast refresh - 8ms or
> less and in a standard monitor format. The wide screen models are nice
> but
> how about the standard format too?
>
> Frankly I'd buy a CRT if I could get one designed for a PC (not a TV HDTV
> or
> otherwise pretending to be a monitor). The only reason is that I've
> tested
> the $1000 dell LCD everyone is mentioning and while it is nice, it doesn't
> compare in colors to a CRT. Also I know some people would like the wide
> screen format but since I do work on it as well, a standard format would
> be
> better for me.
>
> Just me whining, not very productive but I figure if just three people
> started jumping up and down - it would be a movement.

boe

BTW - if any of you are thinking about this model, you are correct, it does
come close but the refresh rate is much too slow.

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/proseries/vp230mb/

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 07:14:16 -0700, "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Lets face it just about everything from the 5500 and up are aimed at
>gamers - IMO.
>
>I would imagine anyone willing to pay $500 for a video card they will
>replace in 2 years would be willing to pay a good amount for a screen that
>should last them at LEAST 5 years. So why don't the monitor/screen
>manufacturers go gaga about making something gamers and graphic developers
>would want.
>
>I would imagine I'm not the only person who would like something say about
>24" that has great colors, high resolution 1600, a fast refresh - 8ms or
>less and in a standard monitor format. The wide screen models are nice but
>how about the standard format too?
>
>Frankly I'd buy a CRT if I could get one designed for a PC (not a TV HDTV or
>otherwise pretending to be a monitor). The only reason is that I've tested
>the $1000 dell LCD everyone is mentioning and while it is nice, it doesn't
>compare in colors to a CRT. Also I know some people would like the wide
>screen format but since I do work on it as well, a standard format would be
>better for me.
>
>Just me whining, not very productive but I figure if just three people
>started jumping up and down - it would be a movement.

I feel your pain.

There are a handful of competing LCD technologies. While each one has
it's advantages, no single technology combines great color, decent
viewing angle and good response time. I just hope my current CRT
lasts a while, because if I had to replace it today I wouldn't know
where to turn. Manufacturers have more or less abandoned CRT
technology. You can't really find a good quality CRT monitor in a
brick-and-mortar store these days for testing purposes, and having a
CRT shipped to you is expensive AND dangerous. It's doubtful whether
you would receive it without some damage (UPS and FedEx both have a
tendency to manhandle very heavy packages... I think it's out of
spite) and if it *is* damaged virtually no distributor will pay for
return shipping, so you're out 50-60 bucks for returning the thing.

boe

Thanks for responding.

I actually watched a UPS moron ROLE a 21" monitor into our office. Tbox was
nearly round by the time it made it to the office.

Please take a moment if you can and e-mail a quick not to the manufacturers
or this Alice's restaurant movement will never take off.

boe wrote:

> Thanks for responding.
>
> I actually watched a UPS moron ROLE a 21" monitor into our office. Tbox
> was nearly round by the time it made it to the office.

Was the monitor damaged?

> Please take a moment if you can and e-mail a quick not to the
> manufacturers or this Alice's restaurant movement will never take off.

If you want big CRTs then buy big CRTs. If there's a market it will be
filled. Fact is that hardly anybody wants them. They're a niche product.
maybe they have advantages that make a difference to _you_ but to most of
the world they do not.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

jrs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001

Viewsonic has a new 4-5 ms response time 19 inch display that should be
good for gamers. :)

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx924/

>>Lets face it just about everything from the 5500 and up are aimed at
>>gamers - IMO.
>>
>>I would imagine anyone willing to pay $500 for a video card they will
>>replace in 2 years would be willing to pay a good amount for a screen that
>>should last them at LEAST 5 years. So why don't the monitor/screen
>>manufacturers go gaga about making something gamers and graphic developers
>>would want.
>>
>>I would imagine I'm not the only person who would like something say about
>>24" that has great colors, high resolution 1600, a fast refresh - 8ms or
>>less and in a standard monitor format. The wide screen models are nice but
>>how about the standard format too?
>>
>>Frankly I'd buy a CRT if I could get one designed for a PC (not a TV HDTV or
>>otherwise pretending to be a monitor). The only reason is that I've tested
>>the $1000 dell LCD everyone is mentioning and while it is nice, it doesn't
>>compare in colors to a CRT. Also I know some people would like the wide
>>screen format but since I do work on it as well, a standard format would be
>>better for me.
>>
>>Just me whining, not very productive but I figure if just three people
>>started jumping up and down - it would be a movement.

--

JRS <steinie**X**@pacbell.net>
Please remove **X** to reply...

Facts do not cease to exist just
because they are ignored.

boe <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

> I would imagine I'm not the only person who would like something say
> about 24" that has great colors, high resolution 1600, a fast refresh
> - 8ms or less and in a standard monitor format. The wide screen
> models are nice but how about the standard format too?
>
> Frankly I'd buy a CRT if I could get one designed for a PC (not a TV
> HDTV or otherwise pretending to be a monitor). The only reason is
> that I've tested the $1000 dell LCD everyone is mentioning and while
> it is nice, it doesn't compare in colors to a CRT. Also I know some
> people would like the wide screen format but since I do work on it as
> well, a standard format would be better for me.

To be honest, what I would like to see are affordable 17" LCD monitors with
1280x960 4:3 instead of the bastard 1280x1024 format. At least that would
be compatible with NTSC video and 4:3 games. I don't like seeing squat
shapes.

Regards,
--
*Art

boe

Yes, hopefully they will come out with larger ones soon!

"JRS" <steinie**X**@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> Viewsonic has a new 4-5 ms response time 19 inch display that should be
> good for gamers. :)
>
> http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx924/
>

>>>Lets face it just about everything from the 5500 and up are aimed at
>>>gamers - IMO.
>>>
>>>I would imagine anyone willing to pay $500 for a video card they will
>>>replace in 2 years would be willing to pay a good amount for a screen
>>>that
>>>should last them at LEAST 5 years. So why don't the monitor/screen
>>>manufacturers go gaga about making something gamers and graphic
>>>developers
>>>would want.
>>>
>>>I would imagine I'm not the only person who would like something say
>>>about
>>>24" that has great colors, high resolution 1600, a fast refresh - 8ms or
>>>less and in a standard monitor format. The wide screen models are nice
>>>but
>>>how about the standard format too?
>>>
>>>Frankly I'd buy a CRT if I could get one designed for a PC (not a TV HDTV
>>>or
>>>otherwise pretending to be a monitor). The only reason is that I've
>>>tested
>>>the $1000 dell LCD everyone is mentioning and while it is nice, it
>>>doesn't
>>>compare in colors to a CRT. Also I know some people would like the wide
>>>screen format but since I do work on it as well, a standard format would
>>>be
>>>better for me.
>>>
>>>Just me whining, not very productive but I figure if just three people
>>>started jumping up and down - it would be a movement.
>>>

> --
>
> JRS <steinie**X**@pacbell.net>
> Please remove **X** to reply...
>
> Facts do not cease to exist just
> because they are ignored.

I'm with you, mostly. I think there's definitely a market out there for
even higher end monitors, for those of us who grew up playing with 286
computers who now have jobs and can buy cool new toys. I'm not a big fan of
LCD, but I remember seeing an IBM CRT at PC Expo here in NY a few years ago
that was like 26" or something and had super high res...something like 4000+
by 3000+ (don't remember exact specs). It was meant for radiologists and
such but I bet hardcore (and rich) gamers would want to jump on a set like
that. $10,000, you say? A drop in the bucket for a lot of these people...
--
Charles C. Shyu
http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

"boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Lets face it just about everything from the 5500 and up are aimed at
> gamers - IMO.
>
> I would imagine anyone willing to pay $500 for a video card they will
> replace in 2 years would be willing to pay a good amount for a screen that
> should last them at LEAST 5 years. So why don't the monitor/screen
> manufacturers go gaga about making something gamers and graphic developers
> would want.
>
> I would imagine I'm not the only person who would like something say about
> 24" that has great colors, high resolution 1600, a fast refresh - 8ms or
> less and in a standard monitor format. The wide screen models are nice
> but
> how about the standard format too?
>
> Frankly I'd buy a CRT if I could get one designed for a PC (not a TV HDTV
> or
> otherwise pretending to be a monitor). The only reason is that I've
> tested
> the $1000 dell LCD everyone is mentioning and while it is nice, it doesn't
> compare in colors to a CRT. Also I know some people would like the wide
> screen format but since I do work on it as well, a standard format would
> be
> better for me.
>
> Just me whining, not very productive but I figure if just three people
> started jumping up and down - it would be a movement.

boe

It turns out LG has a 32" LCD with a 8ms response time. That is pretty
impressive. This gives me hope that they might make a standard format
instead of wide screen that might come closer to my goal.