Best Gaming Nvidia Card for approx. $300?

What is the best gaming Nvidia Card for approx. $300?

I want all that DirectX 9, pixel-shader, etc.

Preferably something that doesn't require messing with power supply
connections, and preferably something that plugs into an AGP port. I'm not
sure if I have PCI-Express or not.
19 answers Last reply
More about best gaming nvidia card approx

    Uziyahu wrote:
    > What is the best gaming Nvidia Card for approx. $300?

    Look for a 6800 (try newegg.com ), you need to cough up with a bit more for
    a GT model. On other hand a 6600GT will meet mosts requirements and will
    even save you some bucks.

    > I want all that DirectX 9, pixel-shader, etc.
    All recent cards have that.

    > Preferably something that doesn't require messing with power supply
    > connections, and preferably something that plugs into an AGP port.

    You wont get around that, both agp cards and pci-e cards in that class needs
    an external supply. Its very easy to install though, usually just a matter
    of attaching a supplied Y splitter cable.

    > I'm not sure if I have PCI-Express or not.

    Find out, makes a big difference .. And if you have, you wont have any use
    for AGP cards.

    It doesnt sound like you really know what you need/want, so i would advice
    you to spend a little time examinating your current system and find out what
    motherboard (and cpu,ram and current gfx card) you have. Also consider
    what games you intend to play on it, getting a 6800 to play solitaire is
    overkill :)

    Uziyahu wrote:

    > What is the best gaming Nvidia Card for approx. $300?
    >
    > I want all that DirectX 9, pixel-shader, etc.
    >
    > Preferably something that doesn't require messing with power supply
    > connections, and preferably something that plugs into an AGP port. I'm
    > not sure if I have PCI-Express or not.

    If you're not sure, find out first--if you have PCI Express then it is
    almost certain that you do _not_ have AGP and vice versa.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    Definitely not Solitaire. I'm wanting all the latest effects found in
    Half-Life 2 to be turned on.

    "Sune Storgaard" <nospam@strueradsl.dk> wrote in message
    > Uziyahu wrote:
    >> What is the best gaming Nvidia Card for approx. $300?
    >
    > Look for a 6800 (try newegg.com ), you need to cough up with a bit more
    > for a GT model. On other hand a 6600GT will meet mosts requirements and
    > will even save you some bucks.
    >
    >> I want all that DirectX 9, pixel-shader, etc.
    > All recent cards have that.
    >
    >> Preferably something that doesn't require messing with power supply
    >> connections, and preferably something that plugs into an AGP port.
    >
    > You wont get around that, both agp cards and pci-e cards in that class
    > needs an external supply. Its very easy to install though, usually just a
    > matter of attaching a supplied Y splitter cable.
    >
    >> I'm not sure if I have PCI-Express or not.
    >
    > Find out, makes a big difference .. And if you have, you wont have any use
    > for AGP cards.
    >
    > It doesnt sound like you really know what you need/want, so i would advice
    > you to spend a little time examinating your current system and find out
    > what motherboard (and cpu,ram and current gfx card) you have. Also
    > consider what games you intend to play on it, getting a 6800 to play
    > solitaire is overkill :)

    Oh, well, in that case, I probably don't have PCI Express, because I've been
    plugging AGP cards into this system.

    --Uzi

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > Uziyahu wrote:
    >
    >> What is the best gaming Nvidia Card for approx. $300?
    >>
    >> I want all that DirectX 9, pixel-shader, etc.
    >>
    >> Preferably something that doesn't require messing with power supply
    >> connections, and preferably something that plugs into an AGP port. I'm
    >> not sure if I have PCI-Express or not.
    >
    > If you're not sure, find out first--if you have PCI Express then it is
    > almost certain that you do _not_ have AGP and vice versa.
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Are all Direct X 9 compliant cards Shader Model 3 capable?

    And is there a big difference between OpenGL 1.4 capable and 1.5 capable?
    What games would I use that for?

    And I'm wondering how much of an increase in power I would get if I got a
    GeForce FX 5000 series over the 6600GT or 6800GT? Compared to my GeForce 4
    Ti4600?

    --Uzi

    "Uziyahu" <NNOSPAMMuziyahu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Oh, well, in that case, I probably don't have PCI Express, because I've
    > been plugging AGP cards into this system.
    >
    > --Uzi
    >
    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Uziyahu wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is the best gaming Nvidia Card for approx. $300?
    >>>
    >>> I want all that DirectX 9, pixel-shader, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Preferably something that doesn't require messing with power supply
    >>> connections, and preferably something that plugs into an AGP port. I'm
    >>> not sure if I have PCI-Express or not.
    >>
    >> If you're not sure, find out first--if you have PCI Express then it is
    >> almost certain that you do _not_ have AGP and vice versa.
    >>
    >> --
    >> --John
    >> to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    >> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Uziyahu <NNOSPAMMuziyahu@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > And I'm wondering how much of an increase in power I would get if I
    > got a GeForce FX 5000 series over the 6600GT or 6800GT?

    None. The 5000 series is an older and slower series.

    Although synthetic benchmarks don't tell the whole stories, and a single one
    isn't all that useful, here's a list of 3DMark 03 scores taken from THG (no
    aliasing or anisotropic filtering):

    6800GT AGP: 10987
    6600GT AGP: ~7800 (extrapolated from PCIe speeds and other sites
    based on relative scores vis-a-vis the 6800GT)
    5950 Ultra: 6489
    5800 Ultra: 5870
    5700 Ultra: 4037
    5600 Ultra: 3439
    5200 Ultra: 2065
    5200: 1550

    > Compared to my GeForce 4 Ti4600?

    It's hard to say, since the Ti4600 is an older generation card with less
    capabilities and different strengths. However, the 3DMark 03 score on the
    same hardware as above is:

    Ti 4600: 2092

    With anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering turned on, the differences are
    even more pronounced, with the Ti4600 scoring less than a third of what it
    does without AA/AF, while the 6xxx series manages to still score almost two
    thirds of what they do without AA/AF.

    To sum it up, most 5xxx and 6xxx series card will be faster than what you
    have, but more importantly, they will have capabilities that the 4600
    doesn't have, and will have less of a performance penalty when using
    anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering.

    Regards,
    --
    *Art

    Uziyahu wrote:

    > Definitely not Solitaire. I'm wanting all the latest effects found in
    > Half-Life 2 to be turned on.

    If that's your specific requirement and your budget is $300 then go with a
    6600GT. Performance in HL2 is almost identical to that of the non-GT 6800
    and you save a hundred bucks or so. If you can go $330 or so then a 6800GT
    would give you a little more performance.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    On 4/6/2005 8:45 AM Uziyahu brightened our day with:

    >Are all Direct X 9 compliant cards Shader Model 3 capable?
    >
    >And is there a big difference between OpenGL 1.4 capable and 1.5 capable?
    >What games would I use that for?
    >
    >And I'm wondering how much of an increase in power I would get if I got a
    >GeForce FX 5000 series over the 6600GT or 6800GT? Compared to my GeForce 4
    >Ti4600?
    >
    >--Uzi

    I think only the 6 series cards are SM 3.0. I just bought a non
    Ultra/GT 6800 for $180 secondhand, but never used. You can get non
    Ultra/GT 6800's at newegg.com for ~$250. I think they're frickin'
    excellent. I have my extra pipelines unlocked, get 45 fps avg. in Doom
    3 with 4xAA and 16x AF High Quality.
    They're AGP cards and do require a molex connection from the PSU, that's
    just unavoidable these days.

    --
    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com

    Any specific brand you would recommend on the 6800GT?

    --Uzi

    "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
    > On 4/6/2005 8:45 AM Uziyahu brightened our day with:
    >
    >>Are all Direct X 9 compliant cards Shader Model 3 capable?
    >>
    >>And is there a big difference between OpenGL 1.4 capable and 1.5 capable?
    >>What games would I use that for?
    >>
    >>And I'm wondering how much of an increase in power I would get if I got a
    >>GeForce FX 5000 series over the 6600GT or 6800GT? Compared to my GeForce
    >>4 Ti4600?
    >>
    >>--Uzi

    > I think only the 6 series cards are SM 3.0. I just bought a non Ultra/GT
    > 6800 for $180 secondhand, but never used. You can get non Ultra/GT
    > 6800's at newegg.com for ~$250. I think they're frickin' excellent. I
    > have my extra pipelines unlocked, get 45 fps avg. in Doom 3 with 4xAA and
    > 16x AF High Quality.
    > They're AGP cards and do require a molex connection from the PSU, that's
    > just unavoidable these days.
    >
    > --
    > Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    > www.inglostadt.com

    Sune, I'm having big problems with my 6600Gt crashing, you mention a Y
    spitter cable? When I fitted mine i just slotted it into the AGP slot but
    didn;t attach any cable, it wasn't in the intructions and one wasn't
    supplied! do u think this is why it's crashing all the time?

    Thanks

    John

    "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Sune, I'm having big problems with my 6600Gt crashing, you mention a Y
    > spitter cable? When I fitted mine i just slotted it into the AGP slot but
    > didn;t attach any cable, it wasn't in the intructions and one wasn't
    > supplied! do u think this is why it's crashing all the time?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    Absolutely! You need to connect the power supply to the video card.

    DaveL
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Thanks Dave, any ideas where I can get one please?

    Thanks

    John

    "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Sune, I'm having big problems with my 6600Gt crashing, you mention a Y
    >> spitter cable? When I fitted mine i just slotted it into the AGP slot but
    >> didn;t attach any cable, it wasn't in the intructions and one wasn't
    >> supplied! do u think this is why it's crashing all the time?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> John
    >
    > Absolutely! You need to connect the power supply to the video card.
    >
    > DaveL
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Simple. Take one of the existing, unused power supply connectors that would
    normally plug into a hard drive and plug it into the card's 4 pin connector.

    DaveL

    > Thanks Dave, any ideas where I can get one please?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John
    >
    > "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>> Sune, I'm having big problems with my 6600Gt crashing, you mention a Y
    >>> spitter cable? When I fitted mine i just slotted it into the AGP slot
    >>> but didn;t attach any cable, it wasn't in the intructions and one wasn't
    >>> supplied! do u think this is why it's crashing all the time?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>
    >> Absolutely! You need to connect the power supply to the video card.
    >>
    >> DaveL

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Dave, any ideas where I can get one please?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John
    >
    > "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>> Sune, I'm having big problems with my 6600Gt crashing, you mention
    >>> a Y spitter cable? When I fitted mine i just slotted it into the
    >>> AGP slot but didn;t attach any cable, it wasn't in the intructions
    >>> and one wasn't supplied! do u think this is why it's crashing all
    >>> the time? Thanks
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>
    >> Absolutely! You need to connect the power supply to the video card.
    >>
    >> DaveL

    any computer shop for a molex power cable 'Y' splitter. Also, Circuit
    City, Best Buy, WalMart, Radio Shack, Frys and others carry them.
    they're a pretty standard thing. But, would you just happen to have an
    available power connector coming from your power supply already? Worth
    a look isn't it?
    McG.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > Simple. Take one of the existing, unused power supply connectors
    > that would normally plug into a hard drive and plug it into the
    > card's 4 pin connector.
    > DaveL

    Actually, this person is doing pretty good for novice to these things.
    My sister got a new EMachine, and no longer has onboard LAN....the phone
    cord fit it and she thought it was a modem. Then the phone rang. The
    rest of the new computer is fine though :)
    McG.

    > "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Dave, any ideas where I can get one please?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> John
    >>
    >> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    >>> Absolutely! You need to connect the power supply to the video card.
    >>>
    >>> DaveL
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On 4/10/2005 6:19 AM Uziyahu brightened our day with:

    >>I think only the 6 series cards are SM 3.0. I just bought a non Ultra/GT
    >>6800 for $180 secondhand, but never used. You can get non Ultra/GT
    >>6800's at newegg.com for ~$250. I think they're frickin' excellent. I
    >>have my extra pipelines unlocked, get 45 fps avg. in Doom 3 with 4xAA and
    >>16x AF High Quality.
    >>They're AGP cards and do require a molex connection from the PSU, that's
    >>just unavoidable these days.
    >>

    >Any specific brand you would recommend on the 6800GT?
    >
    >--Uzi

    I should have said the above results are at 1280x1024 resolution and
    high quality Doom 3.
    I'm not talking about GTs, I'm talking about the 6800 standard issue.
    I've got an XFX which is the least expensive, this is the exact card
    that I have at newegg.com:
    <http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-150-068&depa=0>

    --
    People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Thanks for all the advice, I'll have a look inside the pc tomoz night and
    let you's know.

    One last question though, how come with windows and even doom 3 there's no
    problem with it crashing? surely doom 3 pushes the card to it's power
    limits? i thought like with my v old pc and vodoo2 card that they got there
    power from the agp/pci slot! i think i need to catch up with how far
    technogolgy as come!

    thanks again for the help

    John

    > "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Dave, any ideas where I can get one please?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> John
    >>
    >> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    >>> Absolutely! You need to connect the power supply to the video card.
    >>>
    >>> DaveL
    >
    > any computer shop for a molex power cable 'Y' splitter. Also, Circuit
    > City, Best Buy, WalMart, Radio Shack, Frys and others carry them. they're
    > a pretty standard thing. But, would you just happen to have an available
    > power connector coming from your power supply already? Worth a look isn't
    > it?
    > McG.

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > Thanks for all the advice, I'll have a look inside the pc tomoz night
    > and let you's know.
    >
    > One last question though, how come with windows and even doom 3
    > there's no problem with it crashing? surely doom 3 pushes the card to
    > it's power limits? i thought like with my v old pc and vodoo2 card
    > that they got there power from the agp/pci slot! i think i need to
    > catch up with how far technogolgy as come!
    >
    > thanks again for the help
    >
    > John

    I don't know the answer to that one at all. I only know that to leave
    the molex power plug off created problems instantly for me.

    >> "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks Dave, any ideas where I can get one please?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>>
    >>> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message

    >> any computer shop for a molex power cable 'Y' splitter. Also,
    >> Circuit City, Best Buy, WalMart, Radio Shack, Frys and others carry
    >> them. they're a pretty standard thing. But, would you just happen
    >> to have an available power connector coming from your power supply
    >> already? Worth a look isn't it?
    >> McG.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Sorted! thanks for the help DaveL, the card is now running smooth as a
    baby's bottom, cheers mate.

    John

    "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Simple. Take one of the existing, unused power supply connectors that
    > would normally plug into a hard drive and plug it into the card's 4 pin
    > connector.
    >
    > DaveL
    >

    > "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Dave, any ideas where I can get one please?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> John
    >>
    >> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    >>> Absolutely! You need to connect the power supply to the video card.
    >>>
    >>> DaveL

Nvidia Gaming Power Supplies Graphics