Loud grinding noise on cold noot up caused by MX440 ??

Can anyone confirm it is the 2 inch fan on on my MX440 ? I put my ear to the
graphics card and the noise does come from there but is this unusual ?

The noise lasts about a minute only on a cold cold boot though if I swtich
on gain after even 20 mins it's there but not as bad or as long

Would simply buying another fan sort this or is the actual graphics card
dieing ?

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

The cooling fan is the first (and usually the only thing) to go bad on a
graphics card. My Visiontek 9600XT is only a year old and it's fan is
already doing the same as yours. I'll have to go through my spare fans to
see if I can mcgiver one on there.

DaveL

"I'm_Perfect" <noone@home.here> wrote in message
> Can anyone confirm it is the 2 inch fan on on my MX440 ? I put my ear to
> the graphics card and the noise does come from there but is this unusual ?
>
> The noise lasts about a minute only on a cold cold boot though if I swtich
> on gain after even 20 mins it's there but not as bad or as long
>
> Would simply buying another fan sort this or is the actual graphics card
> dieing ?

BigJim

just open the case boot the system and put your finger on the fan blades if
it stops you have your answer. You won't harm anything.

"I'm_Perfect" <noone@home.here> wrote in message
> Can anyone confirm it is the 2 inch fan on on my MX440 ? I put my ear to
> the graphics card and the noise does come from there but is this unusual ?
>
> The noise lasts about a minute only on a cold cold boot though if I swtich
> on gain after even 20 mins it's there but not as bad or as long
>
> Would simply buying another fan sort this or is the actual graphics card
> dieing ?

It might be hard to find a fan the same size..

grab a screwdriver, take off the fan.. on the underside is a sticker, peel
it back and stick it somewhere safe..

gat some wd40.. squirt a bit into the hole, spin the fan with yoru fingers,
get some tissue, wipe off the excess..

replace sticker (it wont stick to wd40 so make sure its wiped good), screw
back down

hey presto

Russ