Updating software for an old GeF2 MX400

lem

OK don't laugh to much please but I'm running an nVidia GeForce2
MX/MX 400 video card with 32 MB memory. I run WinXP Pro.

Can someone tell me if:

(a) I should upgrade any of my drivers (or just leave well alone).
(b) Where to find the upgrades.

Thank you in advance. The details are below.

---------

The nVidia BIOS String says version 3.11.0007.

And the installed Drivers are:
nv4_disp (6.13.10.2958 - nVIDIA Detonator 29.58)
with nView version 6.13.10.4109

This drives a CRT display at 1024x768 pixels running at 85 Hz in 32-
bit True Color.

Do NOT change the driver, if it is running stable. That older card is not
stable with the latest drivers.

--
DaveW

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 22:20:48 +0100, Lem <z@mail.com> wrote:

>OK don't laugh to much please but I'm running an nVidia GeForce2
>MX/MX 400 video card with 32 MB memory. I run WinXP Pro.
>
>Can someone tell me if:
>
>(a) I should upgrade any of my drivers (or just leave well alone).
>(b) Where to find the upgrades.
>
>Thank you in advance. The details are below.
>
>---------
>
>The nVidia BIOS String says version 3.11.0007.
>
>And the installed Drivers are:
> nv4_disp (6.13.10.2958 - nVIDIA Detonator 29.58)
> with nView version 6.13.10.4109
>
>This drives a CRT display at 1024x768 pixels running at 85 Hz in 32-
>bit True Color.

Don't listen to DaveW. My brother's PC is running the newest
Nvidia drivers on a GF2 MX400 64MB with no problems. The only
disadvantage to using newer drivers on that old card is that the
performance level is decreased usually. If the games, and applications
you use function properly, you may want to stay with an older driver
version. However, on my brother's PC, the games his kids play are
mostly DirectX 7 era titles, and older, and the decreased performance
is not noticeable except in benchmark scores.
If there are programs that you need a newer driver for, then
you can get the latest drivers from
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp.
I'd also get a program called Driver Cleaner
http://www.drivercleaner.net/,
and use it to clean up any leftover driver files, and registry entries
of the older drivers. It's not always necessary to use it, but I've
found that changing drivers sometimes left files, and registry entries
from older drivers that affected the newer drivers. Besides, it makes
for a fresh install.

default

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2003

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
> Don't listen to DaveW. My brother's PC is running the newest
> Nvidia drivers on a GF2 MX400 64MB with no problems. The only
> disadvantage to using newer drivers on that old card is that the
> performance level is decreased usually.

Often this reduced performance on older cards that is sometimes seen is due
to a change in the default settings like vsync on or off, or trilinear
filtering or other changes to the driver settings in the newer driver.

Usually the reduction is due to an improvement in image quality and fiddling
the driver settings can restore the performance and reduce the image quality
to the level of an older driver while gaining the benefits of the new
features of current drivers if you prefer the slight performance gain to the
improvements.

If it aint broke dont fix it