Differences between Windows 2000 and XP handling of wireless

I ran into something interesting on my sister's laptop this week, and wanted
to see if anyone else has come across it...

Here's the setup:

DELL Inspiron 8100, p3 GHz, 512 MB RAM. I formatted the hard disk and
installed Windows XP, SP1 + hotfixes. I then installed a Linksys WPC54G
wireless card into it. The laptop is sitting on a desk about 4 feet from
the router, a Linksys WRT54G.

Anyhow, my sister uses AOL, so I loaded AOL onto the machine. No other
software on it at all. From there, I connected to AOL and put the timer
on... Apx every 15 minutes, the wireless card would seem to lose its
connection--only for a second or so), and AOL would boot her off... This is
what she'd been complaining about since I had upgraded the OS (well, wiping
the laptop and then installing a fresh copy of the OS).

So, I tried the same setup with Windows 2000. I erased the same computer,
loaded Win2k, SP4 + hotfixes and installed the same wireless NIC and loaded
AOL... Sure thing, the laptop ran for 8 hours overnight, without
disconnecting from AOL.

Anyone have any ideas what's up with this? I can't imagine this hasn't
happened to other people, but my web searching has come up pretty empty...

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Steve

Noone has any ideas? Come on! This seems to be a pretty common problem!

Thanks

<steveaschettino@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I ran into something interesting on my sister's laptop this week, and
wanted
> to see if anyone else has come across it...
>
> Here's the setup:
>
> DELL Inspiron 8100, p3 GHz, 512 MB RAM. I formatted the hard disk and
> installed Windows XP, SP1 + hotfixes. I then installed a Linksys WPC54G
> wireless card into it. The laptop is sitting on a desk about 4 feet from
> the router, a Linksys WRT54G.
>
> Anyhow, my sister uses AOL, so I loaded AOL onto the machine. No other
> software on it at all. From there, I connected to AOL and put the timer
> on... Apx every 15 minutes, the wireless card would seem to lose its
> connection--only for a second or so), and AOL would boot her off... This
is
> what she'd been complaining about since I had upgraded the OS (well,
wiping
> the laptop and then installing a fresh copy of the OS).
>
> So, I tried the same setup with Windows 2000. I erased the same computer,
> loaded Win2k, SP4 + hotfixes and installed the same wireless NIC and
loaded
> AOL... Sure thing, the laptop ran for 8 hours overnight, without
> disconnecting from AOL.
>
> Anyone have any ideas what's up with this? I can't imagine this hasn't
> happened to other people, but my web searching has come up pretty empty...
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> -Steve

Open the wireless icon and view available networks. I don't know if you
have this particular problem, but if there are several available wireless
networks XP will switch between them. One of the options you can select is
to connect to any available network. Deselect this option. For each
network you can select to automatically connect to the network. Make sure
that at each location you use the computer there is only one network which
is enabled for automatic connection. If you wish to occasionally use
different networks you can select the network manually to connect.

<steveaschettino@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I ran into something interesting on my sister's laptop this week, and
>wanted
> to see if anyone else has come across it...
>
> Here's the setup:
>
> DELL Inspiron 8100, p3 GHz, 512 MB RAM. I formatted the hard disk and
> installed Windows XP, SP1 + hotfixes. I then installed a Linksys WPC54G
> wireless card into it. The laptop is sitting on a desk about 4 feet from
> the router, a Linksys WRT54G.
>
> Anyhow, my sister uses AOL, so I loaded AOL onto the machine. No other
> software on it at all. From there, I connected to AOL and put the timer
> on... Apx every 15 minutes, the wireless card would seem to lose its
> connection--only for a second or so), and AOL would boot her off... This
> is
> what she'd been complaining about since I had upgraded the OS (well,
> wiping
> the laptop and then installing a fresh copy of the OS).
>
> So, I tried the same setup with Windows 2000. I erased the same computer,
> loaded Win2k, SP4 + hotfixes and installed the same wireless NIC and
> loaded
> AOL... Sure thing, the laptop ran for 8 hours overnight, without
> disconnecting from AOL.
>
> Anyone have any ideas what's up with this? I can't imagine this hasn't
> happened to other people, but my web searching has come up pretty empty...
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> -Steve

Paul

Splendid

> > I ran into something interesting on my sister's laptop this week, and
> wanted
> > to see if anyone else has come across it...
> >
> > Here's the setup:
> >
> > DELL Inspiron 8100, p3 GHz, 512 MB RAM. I formatted the hard disk and
> > installed Windows XP, SP1 + hotfixes. I then installed a Linksys WPC54G
> > wireless card into it. The laptop is sitting on a desk about 4 feet
from
> > the router, a Linksys WRT54G.
> >
> > Anyhow, my sister uses AOL, so I loaded AOL onto the machine. No other
> > software on it at all. From there, I connected to AOL and put the timer
> > on... Apx every 15 minutes, the wireless card would seem to lose its
> > connection--only for a second or so), and AOL would boot her off... This
> is
> > what she'd been complaining about since I had upgraded the OS (well,
> wiping
> > the laptop and then installing a fresh copy of the OS).
> >
> > So, I tried the same setup with Windows 2000. I erased the same
computer,
> > loaded Win2k, SP4 + hotfixes and installed the same wireless NIC and
> loaded
> > AOL... Sure thing, the laptop ran for 8 hours overnight, without
> > disconnecting from AOL.

Weird. I am having a similar problem using a linksys router (BEFW11S4) and
a SMC NIC (SMC3625W). It ramdomly disconnects and neither linksys or SMC
seem to be able to help. However the router recently totally broke, so I
will receive a replacement tommorrow - im hoping the problem was with the
original router, but I shall soon see! I am also using Windows XP SP1
(home).

Have you tried updating the firmware or both the router and the NIC?

both router and firmware are updated. I've heard of this problem before--
being an XP thing... just havent heard the solutuion

-Steve

"Paul" <privacy@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > > I ran into something interesting on my sister's laptop this week, and
> > wanted
> > > to see if anyone else has come across it...
> > >
> > > Here's the setup:
> > >
> > > DELL Inspiron 8100, p3 GHz, 512 MB RAM. I formatted the hard disk and
> > > installed Windows XP, SP1 + hotfixes. I then installed a Linksys
WPC54G
> > > wireless card into it. The laptop is sitting on a desk about 4 feet
> from
> > > the router, a Linksys WRT54G.
> > >
> > > Anyhow, my sister uses AOL, so I loaded AOL onto the machine. No
other
> > > software on it at all. From there, I connected to AOL and put the
timer
> > > on... Apx every 15 minutes, the wireless card would seem to lose its
> > > connection--only for a second or so), and AOL would boot her off...
This
> > is
> > > what she'd been complaining about since I had upgraded the OS (well,
> > wiping
> > > the laptop and then installing a fresh copy of the OS).
> > >
> > > So, I tried the same setup with Windows 2000. I erased the same
> computer,
> > > loaded Win2k, SP4 + hotfixes and installed the same wireless NIC and
> > loaded
> > > AOL... Sure thing, the laptop ran for 8 hours overnight, without
> > > disconnecting from AOL.
> > >

> Weird. I am having a similar problem using a linksys router (BEFW11S4)
and
> a SMC NIC (SMC3625W). It ramdomly disconnects and neither linksys or SMC
> seem to be able to help. However the router recently totally broke, so I
> will receive a replacement tommorrow - im hoping the problem was with the
> original router, but I shall soon see! I am also using Windows XP SP1
> (home).
>
> Have you tried updating the firmware or both the router and the NIC?

labenn

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Help...

My husband is about ready to pull his hair out. I just bought him a Dell desktop for Christmas, hooked up a Linksys wireless adaptor, and he gets booted every 30 minutes or so from aol with a cable high speed connection. I checked spyware etc. and nothing there. He has windows sp2.

Any ideas?

Thanks!