19" Flat panel VGA or DVI cable

I bought a 19" Samsung panel and it works great but was wondering If I would
see any improvement by using a DVI cable instead of my VGA cable. Anyone
have any words of wisdom on this? Best buy wants $52 for a DVI cable so I
don't want to through my money away.

Thanks,
6 answers Last reply
More about flat panel cable

    I have a 19" Flat panel at work with both DVI and VGA cables and I would be
    hard pressed to tell the difference between the two connection types.

    Bottom line is save your money you will not see any difference.

    "DB" <bone@mail.com> wrote in message
    >I bought a 19" Samsung panel and it works great but was wondering If I
    >would
    > see any improvement by using a DVI cable instead of my VGA cable. Anyone
    > have any words of wisdom on this? Best buy wants $52 for a DVI cable so I
    > don't want to through my money away.
    >
    > Thanks,

    On 4/6/2005 2:56 PM DB brightened our day with:

    >I bought a 19" Samsung panel and it works great but was wondering If I would
    >see any improvement by using a DVI cable instead of my VGA cable. Anyone
    >have any words of wisdom on this? Best buy wants $52 for a DVI cable so I
    >don't want to through my money away.
    >
    >Thanks,

    I can tell the difference on my Sony. I like DVI much better, I've had
    both cables plugged in to my vid card at the same time and switched back
    and forth, windows is much crisper. Games not as much difference.
    Don't get it at Best Buy, http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI.htm have them
    for $22.

    Though I can notice the difference, I doubt if I would have bought the
    DVI cable if mine hadn't come with one.

    --
    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com

    "DB" <bone@mail.com> wrote in message
    >I bought a 19" Samsung panel and it works great but was wondering If I
    >would
    > see any improvement by using a DVI cable instead of my VGA cable. Anyone
    > have any words of wisdom on this? Best buy wants $52 for a DVI cable so I
    > don't want to through my money away.

    !!!!$52!!!! In New Zealand I can get one for $12 (~U.S$9.50)
    http://tinyurl.com/6u2nz. Go to a local elecronics retailer man. Holy
    Hell. $52! BTW, using the DVI on my monitor/gfx card is a huge improvement
    on VGA. The colours are darker and washier and the text is not nearly so
    sharp when using VGA. Actually some gfx cards output a better VGA signal
    than others. Maybe mine's just plain lousy. However, the DVI output is
    superb.

    Tony.

    >I bought a 19" Samsung panel and it works great but was wondering If I would
    >see any improvement by using a DVI cable instead of my VGA cable. Anyone
    >have any words of wisdom on this? Best buy wants $52 for a DVI cable so I
    >don't want to through my money away.
    >
    >Thanks,

    I have a Hyundai L90D+ 8ms 19" panel, and like some of the other posters, there
    is very little difference between them.

    I'm sure most users use the DVI cable for the same reason I do, they know that
    in theory it shoild be slightly better. :-))

    Mine came with the DVI cable, so no reason not to use it. You also often find
    some of the monitor menu setup options are less when using the DVI cable, as the
    monitor is capable of setting itself up easier with DVI... so some of the
    options are redundant with DVI.

    Mike

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=12-105-813&depa=0

    On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:56:09 -0700, "DB" <bone@mail.com> wrote:

    >I bought a 19" Samsung panel and it works great but was wondering If I would
    >see any improvement by using a DVI cable instead of my VGA cable. Anyone
    >have any words of wisdom on this? Best buy wants $52 for a DVI cable so I
    >don't want to through my money away.
    >
    >Thanks,

    Ok, I thought I would share my results. I ended up getting a DVI cable for
    $17.50 from
    Cable makers inc. I notice that there is no longer any adjustments available
    for auto focus
    either on the Flat screen or via software. I guess because of the Digital
    signal. I think I
    can tell the difference especially in text. I think for $17.50 this was a
    worthwhile
    purchase. Thanks again for all your input guys.

    Dave

    "Bandit" <bandit@bandit.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=12-105-813&depa=0
    >

    > On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:56:09 -0700, "DB" <bone@mail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I bought a 19" Samsung panel and it works great but was wondering If I
    >>would
    >>see any improvement by using a DVI cable instead of my VGA cable. Anyone
    >>have any words of wisdom on this? Best buy wants $52 for a DVI cable so I
    >>don't want to through my money away.
    >>
    >>Thanks,

Nvidia DVI VGA Cable Graphics