Farcry stuttering and lag frusteration

Farycry (with patch 1.3) stutters/lags like crazy on my new just built
killer system-in single player mode. It starts OK then stutters like
it over heating or something even though I have 5 case fans in my new
rig. I had it auto detect the best video setting and it chose "very
high" I reset to high but still stutters.

Here are the specs:
Athlon 64 3800
BFG 6800 GT OC (ver 7.1 drivers)
Gigabyte K8NS 939 MOBO (nforce 3 with latest drivers)
1 gig PC 3200 ram
audigy 2 zs sound card with current drivers
10000 rpm 76gig raptor HD
3D mark 03 benchmark score of 11900

I haven't tried any other games yet just picked up Farcry to see how it
runs!

Any help would be hugely appreciated!!!

Pat

Kent_Diego

> Farycry (with patch 1.3) stutters/lags like crazy on my new just built
> killer system-in single player mode. It starts OK then stutters like
Try moving the sound card to different PCI slot. Have you run memtest86?

On 4/6/2005 7:02 PM patr brightened our day with:

>Farycry (with patch 1.3) stutters/lags like crazy on my new just built
>killer system-in single player mode. It starts OK then stutters like
>it over heating or something even though I have 5 case fans in my new
>rig. I had it auto detect the best video setting and it chose "very
>high" I reset to high but still stutters.
>
>Here are the specs:
>Athlon 64 3800
>BFG 6800 GT OC (ver 7.1 drivers)
>Gigabyte K8NS 939 MOBO (nforce 3 with latest drivers)
>1 gig PC 3200 ram
>audigy 2 zs sound card with current drivers
>10000 rpm 76gig raptor HD
>3D mark 03 benchmark score of 11900
>
>I haven't tried any other games yet just picked up Farcry to see how it
>runs!
>
>Any help would be hugely appreciated!!!
>
>Pat

Check this one:

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

The article suggest disabling fast writes using rivatuner. I
downloaded the utility but I can't figure our how to diable fast write.
It looks like its already disabled in riva tuner (its grayed out and
have a value on 0)

Could the problem be the 1.3 drivers?

On 4/7/2005 4:11 PM patr brightened our day with:

>The article suggest disabling fast writes using rivatuner. I
>downloaded the utility but I can't figure our how to diable fast write.
> It looks like its already disabled in riva tuner (its grayed out and
>have a value on 0)
>
>Could the problem be the 1.3 drivers?

You mean the 1.3 patch? I don't know, I don't have the problem you're
having, I only have a nForce2 board.
If RivaTuner shows it greyed out like that, means that FastWrites are
disabled in your motherboard's BIOS.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

I'm really starting to think its the processor. I enabled the temp
alarm in the MOBO for 60 degrees C (140degrees F) and it kicked in and
locked the PC when I tried to play Ground Control II after about 2
minutes.

Is there a way (diagnostics) to see if its a bad processor or a MOBO
problem or some other issue?

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 4/7/2005 4:11 PM patr brightened our day with:
>
> >The article suggest disabling fast writes using rivatuner. I
> >downloaded the utility but I can't figure our how to diable fast write.
> > It looks like its already disabled in riva tuner (its grayed out and
> >have a value on 0)
> >
> >Could the problem be the 1.3 drivers?
> >

> You mean the 1.3 patch? I don't know, I don't have the problem you're
> having, I only have a nForce2 board.
> If RivaTuner shows it greyed out like that, means that FastWrites are
> disabled in your motherboard's BIOS.

I've had this problem in several games. Seems to occur most when AA is
enabled. I can fire up something like BFV Point of Existence with AA on and
it stutters like crazy.

It's not an NForce-specific thing, I have an Intel 875P board. Think I'll
try Fast Writes. Sheesh, you'd think that they would have fixed this
original GeForce bug after 5 years...

On 4/8/2005 4:18 AM patr brightened our day with:

>I'm really starting to think its the processor. I enabled the temp
>alarm in the MOBO for 60 degrees C (140degrees F) and it kicked in and
>locked the PC when I tried to play Ground Control II after about 2
>minutes.
>
>Is there a way (diagnostics) to see if its a bad processor or a MOBO
>problem or some other issue?

If you want to test your CPU and memory google for memtest86 and
prime95. They're two "torture" tests that might help identify any problem.
Another thing to try might be fiddling with your PCI Latency, there's a
config tool in the downloads section at www.guru3d.com, check the forums
there for further information.
Additionally you may want to look into some better cooling, e.g. extra
case fans, a new heatsink for the CPU.

That's about all I got for ya, good luck.

--
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

"patr" <patrimron@fcds.org> wrote in message
> Farycry (with patch 1.3) stutters/lags like crazy on my new just built
> killer system-in single player mode. It starts OK then stutters like
> it over heating or something even though I have 5 case fans in my new
> rig. I had it auto detect the best video setting and it chose "very
> high" I reset to high but still stutters.

I've had a problem with the 1.3 patch with farcry, with issue is how it does
the sm 3.0 pixel shader compile. For example I would enter a new room and
the system would hang for a second or 2, then it was ok.

The solution is to disable SM3.0 with farcry and use SM2.0. Its very easy to
do.

So you can either run \r_NoPS30 1 via the console each time in farcry or if
you create a file called Systemcfgoverride.cfg and place in it
r_NoPS30 = "1"
save in farcry root.

Regards
John