computer locking briefly at intervals with router

RageMachine

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
I bought a Belkin F5D5230-4 router because my computer was the gateway with internet connection sharing, and when someone else on the home network would do something bandwidth intensive my computer would lock briefly (1-2 seconds) at intervals. BUT after installing the router this now happens all the time! Anytime I web browse, play games, or download anything the computer will lock briefly at intervals. During these times the computer shows 100% cpu usage in the W2K task manager. Why in the world would that be happening? The router is supposed to do all the work right?

What causes this? Is there any way to stop it? It's driving me nuts. My system is an Athlon 1700+, 512 DDR, GF4Ti4400. Something like this should not be occuring without an actual issue. I know the computer isn't overheating too as I have temperature monitors on the system tray and it runs very cool.

I tried putting my computer in the DMZ, but that didn't help. Tried disabling NAT, that kills the internet access, tried disabling DHCP and manually setting IPs with no change, disabled the firewall with no change. I updated the firmware to the most recent version. I scanned for viruses and trojans. This happens from a clean startup with no programs running. I just cannot figure out what the problem is.

Any ideas?

RageMachine

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
Well crap. Someone suggested that maybe the router was overheating. I thought, ok, maybe that's it. So I just spent the last hour cutting a heatsink to put on the ARM processor of the router, and removing the plastic side of the case for the side the chips are on. There is no freaking way that thing could be overheating now in my 60 degree F basement, with the case open, and a huge custom made heatsink on it. No change in the problem though.

Unless the ARM processor isn't what overheats. Damn my ignorance of electronics...

Any other ideas?

casiowatch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
that 100% cpu usage causes many problems. What program is running at 100%?

-----
<b>All the world's problems can be solved through COMMON SENSE<b>

RageMachine

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
It's not any program running at 100% all the time, it's just whatever program is using the internet at that the time of freeze will suddenly go up to 100% for a second. It can be a web browser, irc client, game, anything that is using the net at that time. If I stay offline I'm fine. For isntance I can be using Photoshop and have no problems, but if I were to open a web browser it would occur at intervals while surfing. It also happens when downloading files at a high speed, and while playing a game like UT 2003 online (no problem offline). Basically whenever something strains the bandwidth, it happens.

The exact same thing used to happen with Internet Connection Sharing before the router. My computer was the ICS gateway, and when someone else on the network stressed the bandwidth, my computer's cpu usage would shoot up to 100% and do these intermittent freezes. My own internet usage then didn't cause a problem, which I figure was because the cable modem was directly connected to my computer. Now it's connected to the router and all of my own net usage affects my system just like when it used to be the gateway for others.

casiowatch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
It might be bios and driver problems on your computer. If it is onboard lan, try updating the drivers.

-----
<b>All the world's problems can be solved through COMMON SENSE<b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by casiowatch on 12/03/02 01:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

RageMachine

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
I still don't think you're understanding the problem. <b>There is no issue offline.</b>

The 100% cpu usage is <b>not caused BY the program, it happens TO the program</b> using the net. For example, I can play UT 2003 offline all day long without a single freeze, but as soon as I start playing it online it will begin freezing at intervals. Another example is when I refresh a webpage like my email box, IE will shoot up to 100% for a second and the computer freezes briefly until the page is fully loaded, then it's fine again. <b>This ONLY happens when going through the router or when my computer is the ICS gateway without the router.</b> If I kill the home network and put the cable modem on my system there is NO issue.

I already said I've tried the router with and without DHCP. That's the not the problem, it has no effect. I don't see how it can be a BIOS issue, and routers don't need drivers. Sorry, but I think you really don't have a clue.

Anyone else?

sturm

Splendid
have u tried deleting and then reinstalling all the tcp/ip protocls - except on XP. may also try going thru the setup process again for the router. not sure if it makes a difference but are the nics controller based or not?

RageMachine

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
have u tried deleting and then reinstalling all the tcp/ip protocls - except on XP. may also try going thru the setup process again for the router. not sure if it makes a difference but are the nics controller based or not?
No, I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling the TCP/IP protocol. Is that possible on Windows 2000?

There is no setup process for the router really. Plug it in, set the computers to obtain IP automatically, and that's it. All computers on the home network use W2K. I did try the "reset to factory defaults" option on the router. No effect.

I don't know about the NICs. I think they are controller based, but I'm not sure on that. Been using these same ones for the last two years or so. Here's a link to the info on it at the Linksys site:
<A HREF="http://www.linksys.com/download/display.asp?dlid=51&osid=5&biggie=big_lnepci2t.jpg" target="_new">http://www.linksys.com/download/display.asp?dlid=51&osid=5&biggie=big_lnepci2t.jpg</A>

RageMachine

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
WOOHOOOOOOOO!

It's stopped doing that now!

I replaced the Linksys card with a spare NetGear FA311 (cheap card) I had. The only hardware difference is that the Linksys was a 10Mb card while the NetGear is a 10/100Mb card. So I don't know if that's the issue, or what, but it's fixed now.

Thanks guys for trying to help, and thanks Sturm, your comment about the controller was what made me look for another card to try.

TRENDING THREADS