Strange boot problem with pny 6800GT

ChrisR

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the following problem?

When I boot my machine with a new pny 6800GT the system comes on, hard
drives spin up, but there is no post beep, no video signal. If I leave
it in this state for a new minutes and then reset, the system usually
starts normally. System starts normally with a different vid card in
place such as an old GF MX400.

System specs

Nforce 2 (soltek) with 1 gb DDR 400
Enermax 485W PSU
Athlon XP mobile 2500

x2 HD, DVD writer, Audigy sound card.

Thanks.

"ChrisR" <chrisr@es.co.nz> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the following problem?
>
> When I boot my machine with a new pny 6800GT the system comes on, hard
> drives spin up, but there is no post beep, no video signal. If I
> leave it in this state for a new minutes and then reset, the system
> usually starts normally. System starts normally with a different vid
> card in place such as an old GF MX400.
>
> System specs
>
> Nforce 2 (soltek) with 1 gb DDR 400
> Enermax 485W PSU
> Athlon XP mobile 2500
>
> x2 HD, DVD writer, Audigy sound card.
>
> Thanks.

No, if the card will work it does immediately. If not, like it isn't
seated in the slot right, I get beeps. Do you have the molex power
connector plugged in? Sure it's fully plugged in?
McG.

ChrisR <chrisr@es.co.nz> wrote:
> Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the following problem?
>
> When I boot my machine with a new pny 6800GT the system comes on, hard
> drives spin up, but there is no post beep, no video signal. If I
> leave it in this state for a new minutes and then reset, the system
> usually starts normally. System starts normally with a different vid
> card in place such as an old GF MX400.
>
> System specs
>
> Nforce 2 (soltek) with 1 gb DDR 400
> Enermax 485W PSU

Make sure that the molex connector that's plugged into the 6800GT isn't from
the rail marked as "fan only".

> Athlon XP mobile 2500
>
> x2 HD, DVD writer, Audigy sound card.

Depending on the drives you have, the spin-up time might be high, and
require a lot of power for a long time. Check whether you can increase the
HD detection / spin-up wait time in the BIOS setup -- otherwise, try turning
on any options that makes the BIOS start take longer (like whether it should
do a fast or long memory test, or whether it should scan the floppy or not).

In any event, I would suspect the power in your case. Even though the PSP
is rated much higher than what's needed, it may not be in tip top shape?
You might want to run a desktop utility like Motherboard Monitor (MBM) to
check the voltages etc.

Regards,
--
*Art

I think there are similar problems around with these new cards and/or
their drivers.

I have a Leadtek 6600GT (AGP) and get sometimes black screen after OS
load screen. My monitor goes into sleep mode right before the desktop
should appear. I must reset my system to go on properly. This symptom
occurs 2 to 3 times a month.

I checked all cabels, connections and voltage values (Antec TruePower
380w).
No problems with games, no system freezes etc. Didn't find any answer
until today.

ChrisR

> No, if the card will work it does immediately. If not, like it isn't
> seated in the slot right, I get beeps. Do you have the molex power
> connector plugged in? Sure it's fully plugged in?
> McG.

The card is fully seated and the molex connect is correctly plugged in.
There are no video error beeps issued by the system at any point.
Wierd huh....?

>> No, if the card will work it does immediately. If not, like it isn't
>> seated in the slot right, I get beeps. Do you have the molex power
>> connector plugged in? Sure it's fully plugged in?
>> McG.
>
> The card is fully seated and the molex connect is correctly plugged
> in. There are no video error beeps issued by the system at any point.
> Wierd huh....?

yeah it is. Is AGP selected to init first, in the BIOS? Hm. Failing
all else, try setting BIOS to defaults, reboot, re-enter BIOS and set it
all up again.
McG.

ChrisR

Yes, tried those suggestions. Same thing. Originally I thought it was
a power issue, but I have the enermax now, so it seems a little hard to
believe....

> yeah it is. Is AGP selected to init first, in the BIOS? Hm. Failing
> all else, try setting BIOS to defaults, reboot, re-enter BIOS and set it
> all up again.
> McG.

ChrisR

My first thought was power too as the machine will reboot just fine once
its been running a while. The voltage levels are stable and I would have
thought the (brand new) 485W Enermax would have been up to the task.

I'll try delaying HD spinup and see if that helps.

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:15:48 +1200, ChrisR <chrisr@es.co.nz> wrote:

>My first thought was power too as the machine will reboot just fine once
>its been running a while. The voltage levels are stable and I would have
>thought the (brand new) 485W Enermax would have been up to the task.
>
>I'll try delaying HD spinup and see if that helps.

I had *exactly* the same problem with the same card and an Asus A8V motherboard.
I swapped the card for another one and the system still didn't boot.
I even connected a second power supply specially to the card, so my PC
had 2 times 450 Watts for a while ;)
Then I gave up. I got my money back.

Bert

--
if (isfunny(tagline)) steal(); else next_msg();