Strange boot problem with pny 6800GT

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the following problem?

When I boot my machine with a new pny 6800GT the system comes on, hard
drives spin up, but there is no post beep, no video signal. If I leave
it in this state for a new minutes and then reset, the system usually
starts normally. System starts normally with a different vid card in
place such as an old GF MX400.

System specs

Nforce 2 (soltek) with 1 gb DDR 400
Enermax 485W PSU
Athlon XP mobile 2500

x2 HD, DVD writer, Audigy sound card.

Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about strange boot problem 6800gt

    "ChrisR" <chrisr@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the following problem?
    >
    > When I boot my machine with a new pny 6800GT the system comes on, hard
    > drives spin up, but there is no post beep, no video signal. If I
    > leave it in this state for a new minutes and then reset, the system
    > usually starts normally. System starts normally with a different vid
    > card in place such as an old GF MX400.
    >
    > System specs
    >
    > Nforce 2 (soltek) with 1 gb DDR 400
    > Enermax 485W PSU
    > Athlon XP mobile 2500
    >
    > x2 HD, DVD writer, Audigy sound card.
    >
    > Thanks.

    No, if the card will work it does immediately. If not, like it isn't
    seated in the slot right, I get beeps. Do you have the molex power
    connector plugged in? Sure it's fully plugged in?
    McG.

    ChrisR <chrisr@es.co.nz> wrote:
    > Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the following problem?
    >
    > When I boot my machine with a new pny 6800GT the system comes on, hard
    > drives spin up, but there is no post beep, no video signal. If I
    > leave it in this state for a new minutes and then reset, the system
    > usually starts normally. System starts normally with a different vid
    > card in place such as an old GF MX400.
    >
    > System specs
    >
    > Nforce 2 (soltek) with 1 gb DDR 400
    > Enermax 485W PSU

    Make sure that the molex connector that's plugged into the 6800GT isn't from
    the rail marked as "fan only".

    > Athlon XP mobile 2500
    >
    > x2 HD, DVD writer, Audigy sound card.

    Depending on the drives you have, the spin-up time might be high, and
    require a lot of power for a long time. Check whether you can increase the
    HD detection / spin-up wait time in the BIOS setup -- otherwise, try turning
    on any options that makes the BIOS start take longer (like whether it should
    do a fast or long memory test, or whether it should scan the floppy or not).

    In any event, I would suspect the power in your case. Even though the PSP
    is rated much higher than what's needed, it may not be in tip top shape?
    You might want to run a desktop utility like Motherboard Monitor (MBM) to
    check the voltages etc.

    Regards,
    --
    *Art

    I think there are similar problems around with these new cards and/or
    their drivers.

    I have a Leadtek 6600GT (AGP) and get sometimes black screen after OS
    load screen. My monitor goes into sleep mode right before the desktop
    should appear. I must reset my system to go on properly. This symptom
    occurs 2 to 3 times a month.

    I checked all cabels, connections and voltage values (Antec TruePower
    380w).
    No problems with games, no system freezes etc. Didn't find any answer
    until today.

    > No, if the card will work it does immediately. If not, like it isn't
    > seated in the slot right, I get beeps. Do you have the molex power
    > connector plugged in? Sure it's fully plugged in?
    > McG.

    The card is fully seated and the molex connect is correctly plugged in.
    There are no video error beeps issued by the system at any point.
    Wierd huh....?

    >> No, if the card will work it does immediately. If not, like it isn't
    >> seated in the slot right, I get beeps. Do you have the molex power
    >> connector plugged in? Sure it's fully plugged in?
    >> McG.
    >
    > The card is fully seated and the molex connect is correctly plugged
    > in. There are no video error beeps issued by the system at any point.
    > Wierd huh....?

    yeah it is. Is AGP selected to init first, in the BIOS? Hm. Failing
    all else, try setting BIOS to defaults, reboot, re-enter BIOS and set it
    all up again.
    McG.

    Yes, tried those suggestions. Same thing. Originally I thought it was
    a power issue, but I have the enermax now, so it seems a little hard to
    believe....

    > yeah it is. Is AGP selected to init first, in the BIOS? Hm. Failing
    > all else, try setting BIOS to defaults, reboot, re-enter BIOS and set it
    > all up again.
    > McG.

    My first thought was power too as the machine will reboot just fine once
    its been running a while. The voltage levels are stable and I would have
    thought the (brand new) 485W Enermax would have been up to the task.

    I'll try delaying HD spinup and see if that helps.

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:15:48 +1200, ChrisR <chrisr@es.co.nz> wrote:

    >My first thought was power too as the machine will reboot just fine once
    >its been running a while. The voltage levels are stable and I would have
    >thought the (brand new) 485W Enermax would have been up to the task.
    >
    >I'll try delaying HD spinup and see if that helps.

    I had *exactly* the same problem with the same card and an Asus A8V motherboard.
    I swapped the card for another one and the system still didn't boot.
    I even connected a second power supply specially to the card, so my PC
    had 2 times 450 Watts for a while ;)
    Then I gave up. I got my money back.

    Bert

    --
    if (isfunny(tagline)) steal(); else next_msg();

Nvidia PNY Boot Graphics