Simple Network no longer works after reloading software! -..

cutthroat

I have a very simple home network and had it working until I had to reload my OS and application software on one of the machines.

The details are a Linksys wireless 'B' Router and a Laptop and Desktop both running XP. I have AOL and this will not allow me to share the internet without handing them more $$. So I am only sharing Files and the Printer with the Laptop.

After reloading the OS and Aps on the Desktop, I ran the Network Setup wizard like before, but either machine cannot see the others files. I have tried just about every option available and have made sure all of the Drives are shared and restarted the machines about 10 times. This is frustrating as I had it working at one time. I have not changed any hardware.

Can anyone out there help me and tell me what's going on? - Thanks in Advance!

cutthroat

Here is what I did.

A few days ago when I was loading my other system up, I went to the Microsoft site that had tips for protecting you from viruses. It said that my Laptop was vulnerable and would I like Microsoft to protect it? I said yes and it downloaded something to my laptop.

When I could not get my network running, I remembered this and did a system restore before the above modifications. As soon as the system restore finished, the network worked perfectly. Obviously Microsoft protected me from not only Viruses, but from also using my home network.

Does anyone know what they did to my PC do that I could not network it any longer? These kind of problems of much worse than viruses. I know how to recover from them!

tanya

It probably enabled the default firewall.
"Cutthroat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here is what I did.
>
> A few days ago when I was loading my other system up, I went to the
Microsoft site that had tips for protecting you from viruses. It said that
my Laptop was vulnerable and would I like Microsoft to protect it? I said
yes and it downloaded something to my laptop.

> When I could not get my network running, I remembered this and did a
system restore before the above modifications. As soon as the system restore
finished, the network worked perfectly. Obviously Microsoft protected me
from not only Viruses, but from also using my home network.

> Does anyone know what they did to my PC do that I could not network it any
longer? These kind of problems of much worse than viruses. I know how to
recover from them!

cutthroat

No, I checked the Firewall and it was disabled. Now if there is another firewall setting that I don't know about, please fill me in! - Thanks!

rico

In article <BBB6232F-54F9-471C-A6B9-757D8B2C18C2@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?Q3V0dGhyb2F0?= <kdbmeb@aol.com> wrote:
>I have a very simple home network and had it working until I had to reload my
> OS and application software on one of the machines.
>
>The details are a Linksys wireless 'B' Router and a Laptop and Desktop both
> running XP. I have AOL and this will not allow me to share the internet
> without handing them more $$. So I am only sharing Files and the Printer with
> the Laptop.
>
>After reloading the OS and Aps on the Desktop, I ran the Network Setup wizard
> like before, but either machine cannot see the others files. I have tried just
> about every option available and have made sure all of the Drives are shared
> and restarted the machines about 10 times. This is frustrating as I had it
> working at one time. I have not changed any hardware.
>
>Can anyone out there help me and tell me what's going on? - Thanks in Advance!

Walk me through what you did with the Networking Wizzard? Also you say XP,
home or Pro? What version of AOL?