Ad-hoc peer to peer wireless can't get DHCP

Having followed the whole setup from the MS support site, read all the
manuals etc, I'm stuck with a problem.

I cannot get a laptop to work as a peer to peer ad-hoc network with a net
connected PC also with a wireless card. If I take the laptop to work, it
connects fine to the router, gets DHCP and everything. I can even ping the
ad-hoc connections from each other. But if I set up the net PC as a shared
dun connection, the laptop cannot see the net and no matter how much
ipconfig releasing, renewing and flushing I do, it simply cannot get a DHCP
address, even when I tell it the IP of the pc! And yet if I use a crossover
cable and change the connection in DUN to use the 10/100 LAN connection, ICS
works fine (sorry for all the acronyms!).

Any ideas? I've disabled and re-enabled and rebooted and checked and
rechecked.
6 answers Last reply
More about peer peer wireless dhcp

    In article <#GyK1cYIEHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Alan" <reply@thisgroup.please> wrote:
    >Having followed the whole setup from the MS support site, read all the
    >manuals etc, I'm stuck with a problem.
    >
    >I cannot get a laptop to work as a peer to peer ad-hoc network with a net
    >connected PC also with a wireless card. If I take the laptop to work, it
    >connects fine to the router, gets DHCP and everything. I can even ping the
    >ad-hoc connections from each other. But if I set up the net PC as a shared
    >dun connection, the laptop cannot see the net and no matter how much
    >ipconfig releasing, renewing and flushing I do, it simply cannot get a DHCP
    >address, even when I tell it the IP of the pc! And yet if I use a crossover
    >cable and change the connection in DUN to use the 10/100 LAN connection, ICS
    >works fine (sorry for all the acronyms!).
    >
    >Any ideas? I've disabled and re-enabled and rebooted and checked and
    >rechecked.

    Where on your home network is your DHCP server?

    "Rico" <rico_001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In article <#GyK1cYIEHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Alan"
    <reply@thisgroup.please> wrote:

    > Where on your home network is your DHCP server?

    On the PC connected to the net - ics allocates DHCP on the dun connection
    (IIRC!)

    In article <#OxlsKaIEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Alan" <reply@thisgroup.please> wrote:
    >"Rico" <rico_001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <#GyK1cYIEHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Alan"
    ><reply@thisgroup.please> wrote:
    >
    >> Where on your home network is your DHCP server?
    >
    >On the PC connected to the net - ics allocates DHCP on the dun connection
    >(IIRC!)

    What addresses and subnet masks are being doled out by the ics computer?

    > What addresses and subnet masks are being doled out by the ics computer?

    For example, at the moment:

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mshome.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet
    Adapter
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 15 April 2004 18:45:40
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 22 April 2004 18:45:40

    Which is about what I'd expect. Just can't understand why wireless can't
    work with it...

    In article <uA$ZfJxIEHA.2236@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "Alan" <reply@thisgroup.please> wrote:
    >"Rico" <rico_001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> What addresses and subnet masks are being doled out by the ics computer?
    >
    >For example, at the moment:
    >
    >Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mshome.net
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet
    >Adapter
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    > Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 15 April 2004 18:45:40
    > Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 22 April 2004 18:45:40
    >
    >Which is about what I'd expect. Just can't understand why wireless can't
    >work with it...

    And the laptop is not picking up anything in regards to an address? Can the
    wireless card see the network at all? All firewalls are off on all machines
    in question?
  6. It's been a while since I set up my adhoc network, but I ran into the exact same problem, it's a firewall issue. assuming you've already checked the 'allow other network users to connect through this connection' in the properties of your connection on you're desktop what you need to do is this: turn off the firewall on your wireless connection (outgoing) and turn on the firewall on your internet connection (incomming), I don't know why this works, but I extrapolate that you're restricted from sharing an unfirewalled connection for some reason.

Wireless Laptops Wireless Networking