GeForce FX5700Ultra problem

kristof

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001

Hello,

I've installed a new GeForce FX5700 Ultra on my windows system with
following (relevant) specs:
- 750 MHz CPU
- 512 MB RAM
- 300 Watt power supply

When I play for 2seconds-20minutes a game like Duke Nukem 3 or Splinter
Cell PT, colors turn red and all kinds of glitches appear in the screen.
When I exit the game, and return to windows, everything seems normal.
Restarting the game results in the same problematic behavior as right
after the video crash, but immediately. Also, when trying to watch a dvd
after a crash, graphics are hanging.
It appears that some part of the graphics crashed, but the normal
unaccelerated graphics still work properly. After a reboot, gaming works
again until the next crash. I've googled a lot for this error and have
found a post on this newsgroup dated on 12 march 2004 describing the
same behavior as I experience right now, but unfortunately without
solution. Did anyone manage to solve this issue by now?

Regards,

Kristof.

In article <1113307974.443632@seven.kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be>,
Kristof <goofus_mcdoofus@hotmail.com> wrote:
#I've installed a new GeForce FX5700 Ultra on my windows system with
#following (relevant) specs:
#- 750 MHz CPU
#- 512 MB RAM
#- 300 Watt power supply

I suppose that is a PIII? Anyway, it could be one of:

1. Your card is overheating
2. Your card has a Molex power plug that is not plugged in
3. Your power supply is insufficient for 3D usage
4. You need to do a full driver clean, go to vga, then reinstall
5. You have a bad video card
6. You have a bad motherboard

#2 can be checked and/or fixed for no money.

#1 can be fixed by buying a $5 input fan or even by rearranging cables
and cards and tying down wires for better airflow. Also leaving the
PCI slot blank open next to the AGP card can help. If the problem
starts 2 seconds after a cold startup I doubt it is heat, but if you've
run the PC for an hour and then it happens 2 seconds after starting a
game, it could be heat.

For #3 if you have a multimeter you can check the 5V and 12V rails while
you switch into 3D mode and look for dips. If a dip corresponds with
artifacts replace your power supply with a quality one. Wattage doesn't
matter so much as quality. A cheap 500W PS can have the same dips in
voltage as a cheap 300W and solve nothing.

#4, the driver clean and reinstall costs nothing more than time.

If nothing else works, you can RMA the video card (I'm assuming the
motherboard is long out of warranty).

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!