PCI-E or AGP mobo?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hello,

I am looking to build a new system soon. As my nf7s/xp3200 system is
nearing the limits of what can be acheived with the socket A, I am looking
to build my new system using an A64 939 3500+ cpu & my existing cl2
OCZpc3200. I know that I will be using a GF 6800GT but am unsure of going
the PCI-E and nf4 route or going with the AGP 8x and nf3 route. From a look
around the forums the agp 8x bus isn't being fully utilised as it is at the
moment. Going the AGP route means that I can stagger my outlay by using my
fx5900 for a while. Unlike what I've got now, I wont be looking to
overclock the new stuff.

I have used the IDE Seagate barracuda 7200.7 on my current system, would
a SATA drive make a noticable imrovement?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris
10 answers Last reply
More about mobo
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    You can get combo AGP/PCIe boards. I asked this question about a week ago.
    That's what I would go for, but I'm a broke-ass bastage.

    Personally, w/my system (an nf7s v2.0, mobile athlon running @ 2639, 1 gig
    of PC3200) I'd be looking more at upgrading my vid-card (a 9800 Pro) than my
    mainboard/CPU.

    --
    Remove nospam to email
    "Chris" <karen.christiaan@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am looking to build a new system soon. As my nf7s/xp3200 system is
    > nearing the limits of what can be acheived with the socket A, I am looking
    > to build my new system using an A64 939 3500+ cpu & my existing cl2
    > OCZpc3200. I know that I will be using a GF 6800GT but am unsure of going
    > the PCI-E and nf4 route or going with the AGP 8x and nf3 route. From a
    > look around the forums the agp 8x bus isn't being fully utilised as it is
    > at the moment. Going the AGP route means that I can stagger my outlay by
    > using my fx5900 for a while. Unlike what I've got now, I wont be looking
    > to overclock the new stuff.
    >
    > I have used the IDE Seagate barracuda 7200.7 on my current system,
    > would a SATA drive make a noticable imrovement?
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Chris

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I have an NF&S rev 2 and have just fitted a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8
    250gbsata and its a bit faster than my old Seagate 7200.7 160gb sata. It
    seems to be quieter and judging by my case fans its cooler by a smidgen.

    Vis
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    In article <d3hgt2$6v6$1@sparta.btinternet.com>, Chris says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am looking to build a new system soon. As my nf7s/xp3200 system is
    > nearing the limits of what can be acheived with the socket A, I am looking
    > to build my new system using an A64 939 3500+ cpu & my existing cl2
    > OCZpc3200. I know that I will be using a GF 6800GT but am unsure of going
    > the PCI-E and nf4 route or going with the AGP 8x and nf3 route. From a look
    > around the forums the agp 8x bus isn't being fully utilised as it is at the
    > moment. Going the AGP route means that I can stagger my outlay by using my
    > fx5900 for a while. Unlike what I've got now, I wont be looking to
    > overclock the new stuff.
    >
    > I have used the IDE Seagate barracuda 7200.7 on my current system, would
    > a SATA drive make a noticable imrovement?

    If you are going to be doing a full upgrade with new video card then go
    PCI-e if nothing else than to futureproof. Also you'll notice a bit of
    difference with the HDD but for a massive difference you need the
    Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM drives.

    --
    Conor

    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Conor Turton" <conor@conorturton.com> wrote in message
    > In article <d3hgt2$6v6$1@sparta.btinternet.com>, Chris says...
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am looking to build a new system soon. As my nf7s/xp3200 system is
    >> nearing the limits of what can be acheived with the socket A, I am
    >> looking
    >> to build my new system using an A64 939 3500+ cpu & my existing cl2
    >> OCZpc3200. I know that I will be using a GF 6800GT but am unsure of
    >> going
    >> the PCI-E and nf4 route or going with the AGP 8x and nf3 route. From a
    >> look
    >> around the forums the agp 8x bus isn't being fully utilised as it is at
    >> the
    >> moment. Going the AGP route means that I can stagger my outlay by using
    >> my
    >> fx5900 for a while. Unlike what I've got now, I wont be looking to
    >> overclock the new stuff.
    >>
    >> I have used the IDE Seagate barracuda 7200.7 on my current system,
    >> would
    >> a SATA drive make a noticable imrovement?
    >
    > If you are going to be doing a full upgrade with new video card then go
    > PCI-e if nothing else than to futureproof. Also you'll notice a bit of
    > difference with the HDD but for a massive difference you need the
    > Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM drives.

    I think the main benefit for most people of SATA drives is cabling... much
    tidier and easier

    > --
    > Conor
    >
    > "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Iain Dingsdale wrote:

    > "Conor Turton" <conor@conorturton.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <d3hgt2$6v6$1@sparta.btinternet.com>, Chris says...
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I am looking to build a new system soon. As my nf7s/xp3200 system
    >>> is
    >>> nearing the limits of what can be acheived with the socket A, I am
    >>> looking
    >>> to build my new system using an A64 939 3500+ cpu & my existing cl2
    >>> OCZpc3200. I know that I will be using a GF 6800GT but am unsure of
    >>> going
    >>> the PCI-E and nf4 route or going with the AGP 8x and nf3 route. From a
    >>> look
    >>> around the forums the agp 8x bus isn't being fully utilised as it is at
    >>> the
    >>> moment. Going the AGP route means that I can stagger my outlay by using
    >>> my
    >>> fx5900 for a while. Unlike what I've got now, I wont be looking to
    >>> overclock the new stuff.
    >>>
    >>> I have used the IDE Seagate barracuda 7200.7 on my current system,
    >>> would
    >>> a SATA drive make a noticable imrovement?
    >>
    >> If you are going to be doing a full upgrade with new video card then go
    >> PCI-e if nothing else than to futureproof. Also you'll notice a bit of
    >> difference with the HDD but for a massive difference you need the
    >> Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM drives.
    >
    > I think the main benefit for most people of SATA drives is cabling... much
    > tidier and easier

    And more fragile.

    >> --
    >> Conor
    >>
    >> "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    I have an NF&S rev 2 and have just fitted a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8
    250gbsata and its a bit faster than my old Seagate 7200.7 160gb sata. It
    seems to be quieter and judging by my case fans its cooler by a smidgen.

    Vis
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    In article <dsydnc6pZPIjwsHfRVnyvA@eclipse.net.uk>, Iain Dingsdale
    says...

    > I think the main benefit for most people of SATA drives is cabling... much
    > tidier and easier

    Not really that much of an improvement over rounded IDE cables.

    --
    Conor

    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Conor Turton wrote:

    >> I think the main benefit for most people of SATA drives is
    >> cabling... much tidier and easier
    >>
    > Not really that much of an improvement over rounded IDE cables.

    Which are not conforming to the ATA specifications and can cause a lot of
    troubles...

    Benjamin
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Ed Forsythe wrote:
    > FWIW, I don't think there are any 80 *pin* ATA cables. They are 40 pin, 80
    > wire connectors - or am I wrong?

    You're correct ...

    Each of the '40' pairs is a terminated/grounded 'loop' ,
    the 80_conn rbn cbl terminated, both ends, w/40_pin conn.

    > Tally Ho!

    Only upon the call of the Great WFWIC.

    Qed.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    In article <RMudnU7CD96Lwf_fRVn-iw@giganews.com>, Ed Forsythe says...
    > FWIW, I don't think there are any 80 *pin* ATA cables. They are 40 pin, 80
    > wire connectors - or am I wrong?

    The extra 40 wires are ground wires.

    --
    Conor

    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

Nvidia PCI Express Graphics