PCI-E or AGP mobo?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hello,

I am looking to build a new system soon. As my nf7s/xp3200 system is
nearing the limits of what can be acheived with the socket A, I am looking
to build my new system using an A64 939 3500+ cpu & my existing cl2
OCZpc3200. I know that I will be using a GF 6800GT but am unsure of going
the PCI-E and nf4 route or going with the AGP 8x and nf3 route. From a look
around the forums the agp 8x bus isn't being fully utilised as it is at the
moment. Going the AGP route means that I can stagger my outlay by using my
fx5900 for a while. Unlike what I've got now, I wont be looking to
overclock the new stuff.

I have used the IDE Seagate barracuda 7200.7 on my current system, would
a SATA drive make a noticable imrovement?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

You can get combo AGP/PCIe boards. I asked this question about a week ago.
That's what I would go for, but I'm a broke-ass bastage.

Personally, w/my system (an nf7s v2.0, mobile athlon running @ 2639, 1 gig
of PC3200) I'd be looking more at upgrading my vid-card (a 9800 Pro) than my
mainboard/CPU.

--
Remove nospam to email
"Chris" <karen.christiaan@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am looking to build a new system soon. As my nf7s/xp3200 system is
> nearing the limits of what can be acheived with the socket A, I am looking
> to build my new system using an A64 939 3500+ cpu & my existing cl2
> OCZpc3200. I know that I will be using a GF 6800GT but am unsure of going
> the PCI-E and nf4 route or going with the AGP 8x and nf3 route. From a
> look around the forums the agp 8x bus isn't being fully utilised as it is
> at the moment. Going the AGP route means that I can stagger my outlay by
> using my fx5900 for a while. Unlike what I've got now, I wont be looking
> to overclock the new stuff.
>
> I have used the IDE Seagate barracuda 7200.7 on my current system,
> would a SATA drive make a noticable imrovement?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Chris

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I have an NF&S rev 2 and have just fitted a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8
250gbsata and its a bit faster than my old Seagate 7200.7 160gb sata. It
seems to be quieter and judging by my case fans its cooler by a smidgen.

Vis

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

In article <d3hgt2$6v6$1@sparta.btinternet.com>, Chris says...
> Hello,
>
> I am looking to build a new system soon. As my nf7s/xp3200 system is
> nearing the limits of what can be acheived with the socket A, I am looking
> to build my new system using an A64 939 3500+ cpu & my existing cl2
> OCZpc3200. I know that I will be using a GF 6800GT but am unsure of going
> the PCI-E and nf4 route or going with the AGP 8x and nf3 route. From a look
> around the forums the agp 8x bus isn't being fully utilised as it is at the
> moment. Going the AGP route means that I can stagger my outlay by using my
> fx5900 for a while. Unlike what I've got now, I wont be looking to
> overclock the new stuff.
>
> I have used the IDE Seagate barracuda 7200.7 on my current system, would
> a SATA drive make a noticable imrovement?

If you are going to be doing a full upgrade with new video card then go
PCI-e if nothing else than to futureproof. Also you'll notice a bit of
difference with the HDD but for a massive difference you need the
Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM drives.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

"Conor Turton" <conor@conorturton.com> wrote in message
> In article <d3hgt2$6v6$1@sparta.btinternet.com>, Chris says...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am looking to build a new system soon. As my nf7s/xp3200 system is
>> nearing the limits of what can be acheived with the socket A, I am
>> looking
>> to build my new system using an A64 939 3500+ cpu & my existing cl2
>> OCZpc3200. I know that I will be using a GF 6800GT but am unsure of
>> going
>> the PCI-E and nf4 route or going with the AGP 8x and nf3 route. From a
>> look
>> around the forums the agp 8x bus isn't being fully utilised as it is at
>> the
>> moment. Going the AGP route means that I can stagger my outlay by using
>> my
>> fx5900 for a while. Unlike what I've got now, I wont be looking to
>> overclock the new stuff.
>>
>> I have used the IDE Seagate barracuda 7200.7 on my current system,
>> would
>> a SATA drive make a noticable imrovement?
>
> If you are going to be doing a full upgrade with new video card then go
> PCI-e if nothing else than to futureproof. Also you'll notice a bit of
> difference with the HDD but for a massive difference you need the
> Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM drives.

I think the main benefit for most people of SATA drives is cabling... much
tidier and easier

Iain Dingsdale wrote:

> "Conor Turton" <conor@conorturton.com> wrote in message
>> In article <d3hgt2$6v6$1@sparta.btinternet.com>, Chris says...
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am looking to build a new system soon. As my nf7s/xp3200 system
>>> is
>>> nearing the limits of what can be acheived with the socket A, I am
>>> looking
>>> to build my new system using an A64 939 3500+ cpu & my existing cl2
>>> OCZpc3200. I know that I will be using a GF 6800GT but am unsure of
>>> going
>>> the PCI-E and nf4 route or going with the AGP 8x and nf3 route. From a
>>> look
>>> around the forums the agp 8x bus isn't being fully utilised as it is at
>>> the
>>> moment. Going the AGP route means that I can stagger my outlay by using
>>> my
>>> fx5900 for a while. Unlike what I've got now, I wont be looking to
>>> overclock the new stuff.
>>>
>>> I have used the IDE Seagate barracuda 7200.7 on my current system,
>>> would
>>> a SATA drive make a noticable imrovement?
>>
>> If you are going to be doing a full upgrade with new video card then go
>> PCI-e if nothing else than to futureproof. Also you'll notice a bit of
>> difference with the HDD but for a massive difference you need the
>> Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM drives.
>
> I think the main benefit for most people of SATA drives is cabling... much
> tidier and easier

And more fragile.

>> --
>> Conor
>>
>> "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I have an NF&S rev 2 and have just fitted a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8
250gbsata and its a bit faster than my old Seagate 7200.7 160gb sata. It
seems to be quieter and judging by my case fans its cooler by a smidgen.

Vis

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

In article <dsydnc6pZPIjwsHfRVnyvA@eclipse.net.uk>, Iain Dingsdale
says...

> I think the main benefit for most people of SATA drives is cabling... much
> tidier and easier

Not really that much of an improvement over rounded IDE cables.

--

Conor Turton wrote:

>> I think the main benefit for most people of SATA drives is
>> cabling... much tidier and easier
>>
> Not really that much of an improvement over rounded IDE cables.

Which are not conforming to the ATA specifications and can cause a lot of
troubles...

Benjamin

Ed Forsythe wrote:
> FWIW, I don't think there are any 80 *pin* ATA cables. They are 40 pin, 80
> wire connectors - or am I wrong?

You're correct ...

Each of the '40' pairs is a terminated/grounded 'loop' ,
the 80_conn rbn cbl terminated, both ends, w/40_pin conn.

> Tally Ho!

Only upon the call of the Great WFWIC.

Qed.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

In article <RMudnU7CD96Lwf_fRVn-iw@giganews.com>, Ed Forsythe says...
> FWIW, I don't think there are any 80 *pin* ATA cables. They are 40 pin, 80
> wire connectors - or am I wrong?

The extra 40 wires are ground wires.