WEP Key Not Saved

I'm using Win XP Pro on a Toshiba Satellite A10-S177 with a Phoebe IEEE 802.11B compliant PC card. Everything works OK except now and then I get no signal and I check the wireless network propertiesfinding that the WEP key is shown as about an eight character string. The correct WEP key is 26 characters long. After I reset the key, the connection is OK. However, this has happened now on several occasions. Does anyone have any clues as to why my WEP key settings aren't being saved?
3 answers Last reply
More about saved

    If you can see that the WEP key is shows as an eight character string (with
    the dots in place of the characters) it means that your WEP key has been
    saved. The number of dots is always eight for security. You should still be
    able to associate with the SSID by hitting the "Connect" button.

    --
    Rajiv

    Please do not respond directly to this alias.
    This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS"
    with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    "QB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm using Win XP Pro on a Toshiba Satellite A10-S177 with a Phoebe IEEE
    802.11B compliant PC card. Everything works OK except now and then I get no
    signal and I check the wireless network propertiesfinding that the WEP key
    is shown as about an eight character string. The correct WEP key is 26
    characters long. After I reset the key, the connection is OK. However, this
    has happened now on several occasions. Does anyone have any clues as to why
    my WEP key settings aren't being saved?

    If the WEP key is being displayed as an eight character string of dots, it
    means that your WEP settings are being saved. The number of dots is always
    eight for security purposes. By just hitting the "Connect"button, you should
    be able to associate your PC card with the wireless router.

    --
    Rajiv

    Please do not respond directly to this alias.
    This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS"
    with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    "QB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm using Win XP Pro on a Toshiba Satellite A10-S177 with a Phoebe IEEE
    802.11B compliant PC card. Everything works OK except now and then I get no
    signal and I check the wireless network propertiesfinding that the WEP key
    is shown as about an eight character string. The correct WEP key is 26
    characters long. After I reset the key, the connection is OK. However, this
    has happened now on several occasions. Does anyone have any clues as to why
    my WEP key settings aren't being saved?

    I have a similar problem and have found that by re-enabling WEP and the
    level of security everything re-conects without having to re-enter the
    password.
    It seems to be an XP problem since the same hardware works on a 98 system
    without any such issues.

    Nick

    "Rajiv P. Bharadwaja [MSFT]" <rajivpb@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If the WEP key is being displayed as an eight character string of dots, it
    > means that your WEP settings are being saved. The number of dots is always
    > eight for security purposes. By just hitting the "Connect"button, you
    should
    > be able to associate your PC card with the wireless router.
    >
    > --
    > Rajiv
    >
    > Please do not respond directly to this alias.
    > This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS
    IS"
    > with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    >

    > "QB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm using Win XP Pro on a Toshiba Satellite A10-S177 with a Phoebe IEEE
    > 802.11B compliant PC card. Everything works OK except now and then I get
    no
    > signal and I check the wireless network propertiesfinding that the WEP key
    > is shown as about an eight character string. The correct WEP key is 26
    > characters long. After I reset the key, the connection is OK. However,
    this
    > has happened now on several occasions. Does anyone have any clues as to
    why
    > my WEP key settings aren't being saved?

WEP Wireless Networking