NVIDIA TNT2 M64 4xAGP (Dell) Gone Kerflouey!

I've been using the same video card and software since November 2000.
Suddenly yesterday, the images on screen in all my programs acquired some
very peculiar characteristics. Letters are sketchy and look porous. Windows,
dialog boxes, and other Windows components are accompanied by gray shady
horizontal lines.

I wrote to tech support and was told to reinstall the driver, which dates
back to August 2000, but the problem persists. Tech support then told me
that I need a new video card. Does that seem right? What made the old one go
bad?

Thanks in advance!

Joan
14 answers Last reply
More about nvidia tnt2 4xagp dell kerflouey

    Video cards, like the other components inside a computer case are subjected
    to being used in a hot environment and
    run hot themselves. The heat eventually breaks down the electrical devices
    on the video card and it fails. Five years of use from a video card is VERY
    good.
    Yes, it is time for a new card.
    --
    DaveW

    "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I've been using the same video card and software since November 2000.
    > Suddenly yesterday, the images on screen in all my programs acquired some
    > very peculiar characteristics. Letters are sketchy and look porous.
    > Windows,
    > dialog boxes, and other Windows components are accompanied by gray shady
    > horizontal lines.
    >
    > I wrote to tech support and was told to reinstall the driver, which dates
    > back to August 2000, but the problem persists. Tech support then told me
    > that I need a new video card. Does that seem right? What made the old one
    > go
    > bad?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Joan

    How did you uninstall the driver....did you remove your video card in device
    manager and then reboot?

    Have you tried locating and installing the latest driver or was the 2000 one
    the last one made for your card?

    Did you install a new piece of software or upgrade direct x just previous to
    the fault?

    "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I've been using the same video card and software since November 2000.
    > Suddenly yesterday, the images on screen in all my programs acquired some
    > very peculiar characteristics. Letters are sketchy and look porous.
    Windows,
    > dialog boxes, and other Windows components are accompanied by gray shady
    > horizontal lines.
    >
    > I wrote to tech support and was told to reinstall the driver, which dates
    > back to August 2000, but the problem persists. Tech support then told me
    > that I need a new video card. Does that seem right? What made the old one
    go
    > bad?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Joan

    I suggest trying the following:

    Download and install Driver Cleaner:

    http://www.drivercleaner.net/

    Uninstall the nVidia graphic drivers using the add/remove programs control
    panel.

    Run Driver Cleaner to get rid of any leftover nVidia files.

    Re-install the drivers.

    However, it's not unlikely that the graphics hardware is failing. We have
    some Dells at my employer that have been flaking out. Unfortunately, the
    TNT2 M64 graphics they have are built in to the mainboard, and there is no
    separate AGP slot. One or two of the machines have been fixed (sort of) by
    uisng a PCI graphics card, but the mainboards themselves remain suspect.

    I don't recall exactly what Dell wanted for a replacement mainboard, but it
    may have been less than $250US. It was less than I feared, but more than I'd
    pay for repairing a system unless there was good reason. (There is a good
    reason in this case: the systems use some expensive frame grabber cards,
    which may not be compatible with newer chipsets.)

    Good luck.

    Bob Knowlden

    "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I've been using the same video card and software since November 2000.
    > Suddenly yesterday, the images on screen in all my programs acquired some
    > very peculiar characteristics. Letters are sketchy and look porous.
    > Windows,
    > dialog boxes, and other Windows components are accompanied by gray shady
    > horizontal lines.
    >
    > I wrote to tech support and was told to reinstall the driver, which dates
    > back to August 2000, but the problem persists. Tech support then told me
    > that I need a new video card. Does that seem right? What made the old one
    > go
    > bad?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Joan

    Yes, I removed NVDIA etc. in Device Manager and then rebooted.

    When I've tried to update the driver, either things have gone even more
    crazy (with eleven or twelve successive messages saying that files beginning
    with "nv," such as "nvarch16.dll," were not found), or else I've gotten a
    message that I have the latest driver. Multiple times the computer rebooted
    into an institutional gray screen looking for all the world like Safe Mode
    (which it nonetheless was not), and it took me forever to get even the
    minimal, shadowy function back to where it is now.

    I have not installed any new software since TurboTax in February. I'm not
    exactly sure what "direct x" is, but I'm pretty sure I haven't installed it
    recently.

    Joan

    > Yes, I removed NVDIA etc. in Device Manager and then rebooted.

    But did you remove the drivers from the system from Add and Remove Software
    in Control Panel? If not, you have not removed the drivers, only removed
    the current hardware from Device Manager, which will be back at next boot-up
    when Windows redetects the card.

    Well, it sounds like I should try removing the software in Control Panel,
    too. I'm a little leery, though, at this point, because I've finally
    regained at least SOME functionality. Maybe I should just go for the new
    video card . . . ?

    Joan

    "PhxGrunge" <noname@qwest.net> wrote in message

    > "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > Yes, I removed NVDIA etc. in Device Manager and then rebooted.
    > >
    > But did you remove the drivers from the system from Add and Remove
    Software
    > in Control Panel? If not, you have not removed the drivers, only removed
    > the current hardware from Device Manager, which will be back at next
    boot-up
    > when Windows redetects the card.

    Okay, great. I shall get one then. Thanks!

    Joan

    > Video cards, like the other components inside a computer case are
    subjected
    > to being used in a hot environment and
    > run hot themselves. The heat eventually breaks down the electrical
    devices
    > on the video card and it fails. Five years of use from a video card is
    VERY
    > good.
    > Yes, it is time for a new card.
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > I've been using the same video card and software since November 2000.
    > > Suddenly yesterday, the images on screen in all my programs acquired
    some
    > > very peculiar characteristics. Letters are sketchy and look porous.
    > > Windows,
    > > dialog boxes, and other Windows components are accompanied by gray shady
    > > horizontal lines.
    > >
    > > I wrote to tech support and was told to reinstall the driver, which
    dates
    > > back to August 2000, but the problem persists. Tech support then told me
    > > that I need a new video card. Does that seem right? What made the old
    one
    > > go
    > > bad?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!
    > >
    > > Joan

    "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I've been using the same video card and software since November 2000.
    > Suddenly yesterday, the images on screen in all my programs acquired
    > some very peculiar characteristics. Letters are sketchy and look
    > porous. Windows, dialog boxes, and other Windows components are
    > accompanied by gray shady horizontal lines.
    >
    > I wrote to tech support and was told to reinstall the driver, which
    > dates back to August 2000, but the problem persists. Tech support
    > then told me that I need a new video card. Does that seem right? What
    > made the old one go bad?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Joan

    That does sound like a hardware thing, but it could be a loose
    connection at the back of the card with the VGA cable.
    Crimped/smashed/cut cable. Check that. It could also be the monitor
    having a problem, not necessarily the video card. Have a different
    monitor you can try on your system?
    If all that checks out, then:

    Uninstall/Reinstall driver.

    Joan, you have to first uninstall the nvidia drivers in the Control
    Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
    Then, in Device Manager, Display Adapter, Update Driver, Select
    Compatible, find "Standard PCI VGA Adapters", Ok, Ok, reboot. You
    should come up in VGA mode. Cancel any auto installer Windows runs for
    installing a driver for "Found New Hardware". Now you run the
    installer for your video driver. You can use an NVidia driver set from
    their site.

    McG.

    Dear Bob,

    Many thanks for taking the time to write. I will print your message out and
    give your instructions a try. I'll let you know how I make out.

    All best,
    Joan

    "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I suggest trying the following:
    >
    > Download and install Driver Cleaner:
    >
    > http://www.drivercleaner.net/
    >
    > Uninstall the nVidia graphic drivers using the add/remove programs control
    > panel.
    >
    > Run Driver Cleaner to get rid of any leftover nVidia files.
    >
    > Re-install the drivers.
    >
    > However, it's not unlikely that the graphics hardware is failing. We have
    > some Dells at my employer that have been flaking out. Unfortunately, the
    > TNT2 M64 graphics they have are built in to the mainboard, and there is no
    > separate AGP slot. One or two of the machines have been fixed (sort of) by
    > uisng a PCI graphics card, but the mainboards themselves remain suspect.
    >
    > I don't recall exactly what Dell wanted for a replacement mainboard, but
    it
    > may have been less than $250US. It was less than I feared, but more than
    I'd
    > pay for repairing a system unless there was good reason. (There is a good
    > reason in this case: the systems use some expensive frame grabber cards,
    > which may not be compatible with newer chipsets.)
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Bob Knowlden
    >
    > Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
    >
    > "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > I've been using the same video card and software since November 2000.
    > > Suddenly yesterday, the images on screen in all my programs acquired
    some
    > > very peculiar characteristics. Letters are sketchy and look porous.
    > > Windows,
    > > dialog boxes, and other Windows components are accompanied by gray shady
    > > horizontal lines.
    > >
    > > I wrote to tech support and was told to reinstall the driver, which
    dates
    > > back to August 2000, but the problem persists. Tech support then told me
    > > that I need a new video card. Does that seem right? What made the old
    one
    > > go
    > > bad?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!
    > >
    > > Joan

    Many thanks to you too, McGrandpa. I have already checked out the monitor.
    It is fine. So I'll try your other suggestions. Will let the list know how I
    make out.

    All best,
    Joan

    > "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > I've been using the same video card and software since November 2000.
    > > Suddenly yesterday, the images on screen in all my programs acquired
    > > some very peculiar characteristics. Letters are sketchy and look
    > > porous. Windows, dialog boxes, and other Windows components are
    > > accompanied by gray shady horizontal lines.
    > >
    > > I wrote to tech support and was told to reinstall the driver, which
    > > dates back to August 2000, but the problem persists. Tech support
    > > then told me that I need a new video card. Does that seem right? What
    > > made the old one go bad?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!
    > >
    > > Joan
    >
    > That does sound like a hardware thing, but it could be a loose
    > connection at the back of the card with the VGA cable.
    > Crimped/smashed/cut cable. Check that. It could also be the monitor
    > having a problem, not necessarily the video card. Have a different
    > monitor you can try on your system?
    > If all that checks out, then:
    >
    > Uninstall/Reinstall driver.
    >
    > Joan, you have to first uninstall the nvidia drivers in the Control
    > Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
    > Then, in Device Manager, Display Adapter, Update Driver, Select
    > Compatible, find "Standard PCI VGA Adapters", Ok, Ok, reboot. You
    > should come up in VGA mode. Cancel any auto installer Windows runs for
    > installing a driver for "Found New Hardware". Now you run the
    > installer for your video driver. You can use an NVidia driver set from
    > their site.
    >
    > McG.

    I have now tried everything that you and other helpers have posted to the
    forum, and nothing has worked. Yesterday I broke down and ordered a new
    video card from Dell. Now, if that doesn't work, I'll really be in a fix!

    Many thanks for your suggestions.

    Joan

    "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I suggest trying the following:
    >
    > Download and install Driver Cleaner:
    >
    > http://www.drivercleaner.net/
    >
    > Uninstall the nVidia graphic drivers using the add/remove programs control
    > panel.
    >
    > Run Driver Cleaner to get rid of any leftover nVidia files.
    >
    > Re-install the drivers.
    >
    > However, it's not unlikely that the graphics hardware is failing. We have
    > some Dells at my employer that have been flaking out. Unfortunately, the
    > TNT2 M64 graphics they have are built in to the mainboard, and there is no
    > separate AGP slot. One or two of the machines have been fixed (sort of) by
    > uisng a PCI graphics card, but the mainboards themselves remain suspect.
    >
    > I don't recall exactly what Dell wanted for a replacement mainboard, but
    it
    > may have been less than $250US. It was less than I feared, but more than
    I'd
    > pay for repairing a system unless there was good reason. (There is a good
    > reason in this case: the systems use some expensive frame grabber cards,
    > which may not be compatible with newer chipsets.)
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Bob Knowlden
    >
    > Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
    >
    > "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > I've been using the same video card and software since November 2000.
    > > Suddenly yesterday, the images on screen in all my programs acquired
    some
    > > very peculiar characteristics. Letters are sketchy and look porous.
    > > Windows,
    > > dialog boxes, and other Windows components are accompanied by gray shady
    > > horizontal lines.
    > >
    > > I wrote to tech support and was told to reinstall the driver, which
    dates
    > > back to August 2000, but the problem persists. Tech support then told me
    > > that I need a new video card. Does that seem right? What made the old
    one
    > > go
    > > bad?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!
    > >
    > > Joan

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I have now tried everything that you and other helpers have posted to the
    forum, and nothing has worked. Yesterday I broke down and ordered a new
    video card from Dell. Now, if that doesn't work, I'll really be in a fix!

    Many thanks for your suggestions.

    Joan

    > "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > I've been using the same video card and software since November 2000.
    > > Suddenly yesterday, the images on screen in all my programs acquired
    > > some very peculiar characteristics. Letters are sketchy and look
    > > porous. Windows, dialog boxes, and other Windows components are
    > > accompanied by gray shady horizontal lines.
    > >
    > > I wrote to tech support and was told to reinstall the driver, which
    > > dates back to August 2000, but the problem persists. Tech support
    > > then told me that I need a new video card. Does that seem right? What
    > > made the old one go bad?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!
    > >
    > > Joan
    >
    > That does sound like a hardware thing, but it could be a loose
    > connection at the back of the card with the VGA cable.
    > Crimped/smashed/cut cable. Check that. It could also be the monitor
    > having a problem, not necessarily the video card. Have a different
    > monitor you can try on your system?
    > If all that checks out, then:
    >
    > Uninstall/Reinstall driver.
    >
    > Joan, you have to first uninstall the nvidia drivers in the Control
    > Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
    > Then, in Device Manager, Display Adapter, Update Driver, Select
    > Compatible, find "Standard PCI VGA Adapters", Ok, Ok, reboot. You
    > should come up in VGA mode. Cancel any auto installer Windows runs for
    > installing a driver for "Found New Hardware". Now you run the
    > installer for your video driver. You can use an NVidia driver set from
    > their site.
    >
    > McG.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > I have now tried everything that you and other helpers have posted to
    > the forum, and nothing has worked. Yesterday I broke down and ordered
    > a new video card from Dell. Now, if that doesn't work, I'll really be
    > in a fix!
    >
    > Many thanks for your suggestions.
    >
    > Joan

    You're welcome. Please post back here when you get the new card
    installed and let us know how it went. We all benefit from this kind of
    thing Joan.
    McG.

    >> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> I've been using the same video card and software since November
    >>> 2000. Suddenly yesterday, the images on screen in all my programs
    >>> acquired some very peculiar characteristics. Letters are sketchy
    >>> and look porous. Windows, dialog boxes, and other Windows
    >>> components are accompanied by gray shady horizontal lines.
    >>>
    >>> I wrote to tech support and was told to reinstall the driver, which
    >>> dates back to August 2000, but the problem persists. Tech support
    >>> then told me that I need a new video card. Does that seem right?
    >>> What made the old one go bad?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance!
    >>>
    >>> Joan
    >>
    >> That does sound like a hardware thing, but it could be a loose
    >> connection at the back of the card with the VGA cable.
    >> Crimped/smashed/cut cable. Check that. It could also be the monitor
    >> having a problem, not necessarily the video card. Have a different
    >> monitor you can try on your system?
    >> If all that checks out, then:
    >>
    >> Uninstall/Reinstall driver.
    >>
    >> Joan, you have to first uninstall the nvidia drivers in the Control
    >> Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
    >> Then, in Device Manager, Display Adapter, Update Driver, Select
    >> Compatible, find "Standard PCI VGA Adapters", Ok, Ok, reboot. You
    >> should come up in VGA mode. Cancel any auto installer Windows runs
    >> for installing a driver for "Found New Hardware". Now you run the
    >> installer for your video driver. You can use an NVidia driver set
    >> from their site.
    >>
    >> McG.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Happy to say, the new card solved the problem. Wow, I'd forgotten how clear
    and crisp the screen could look! I still appreciate everyone's input,
    though. The new card was not cheap, and I am glad I tried all the other
    options before getting it.

    Thanks again.

    Joan

Nvidia Graphics Cards Graphics