Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 8 Being Full Metro Will Be Your Choice

Last response: in News comments
September 1, 2011 5:07:08 PM

Elegant, yes. PC no, maybe for tablets or phones. But not for PC, I feel it'd be more frustrating to work with those dang tiles. I already have widgets on my desktop.
Score
September 1, 2011 5:13:34 PM

Quote:
Windows 8 Being Full Metro Will Be Your Choice

thanks for pointing that out captain obvious
Score
Related resources
September 1, 2011 5:13:41 PM

Dear tomshardware: STOP SHOWING THE SAME VIDEO EVERY TIME.
Score
September 1, 2011 5:15:47 PM

Whats with all the retail OS makers lately? First Lion and now Windows 8.
They've let the smartphone successes get to their heads.

Smartphones should be smartphones and computers should be computers.
Score
September 1, 2011 5:16:36 PM

aznshinobiElegant, yes. PC no, maybe for tablets or phones. But not for PC, I feel it'd be more frustrating to work with those dang tiles. I already have widgets on my desktop.

That is what I thought when I first saw the preview for Win8, but I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as it is compatible and efficient. Seems as thought Microsoft and Apple is trying to uniform their products now which makes perfect sense to me. I can get use to it as long as it is efficient as W7 or XP.
Score
September 1, 2011 5:18:42 PM

When did PC + Apps mean "Love" for developers? I think it should be called clusterfack
Score
September 1, 2011 5:18:55 PM

alterechoWhats with all the retail OS makers lately? First Lion and now Windows 8.They've let the smartphone successes get to their heads.Smartphones should be smartphones and computers should be computers.

The lines get blurrier everyday... I doubt I'll invest in Windows 8, unless it outperforms 7...
Score
September 1, 2011 5:21:21 PM

If it survives, this will be a great addition for my (currently) 3-year-old HP TX2500Z.
Score
September 1, 2011 5:26:17 PM

I'll always be a desktop guy, and have no use for smartphone-style interfaces, but other people prefer it... so why not give them the choice?

Choice is good, as long as it doesn't hurt the functionality in traditional Windows.
Score
September 1, 2011 5:36:46 PM

captaincharismathanks for pointing that out captain obvious

Exactly, I think it's been clear from the outset that the Metro UI was brought about in response to the increasingly wide range of form factors Windows would be targeting, and intended for use primarily on tablets. Of course, that didn't stop the lolcows from whining about how awful it is, and how they'll stick with Windows 7/XP forever.
Score
September 1, 2011 5:38:54 PM

nice,, finally starting to get more choices,, take more ideas from Linux -- and maybe windows will be one of the nicest (prettiest) OSes to use
Score
Anonymous
September 1, 2011 5:46:50 PM

This entire thread sounds like the same comments I heard when WordPerfect decided to include pull-down menus in WordPerfect 5. "OMG, people just need to learn to use the function keys!" Guys, there is no 'PC' interface or 'tablet' interface. A design thrives or dies because people like it.
Score
September 1, 2011 5:48:53 PM

Now if they put this on a lightweight tablet -- competitive to the iPad's weight, size and dimensions -- then add the USB ports for support of any USB device including keyboard/mouse, HDMI port for external display, and keep the OS open to all 3rd party software..in other words, let me have the ability to go to google.com, or mozilla and download any browser I want, use any program I want that is Windows 7/XP/Vista compatible, let me run Steam on it with all my games even if the tablet doesn't have the hardware to play every game that I own. Hell they can even throw in an application store for games like Doodle jump or angry birds, because sometimes they're fun too:) . If they can manage to put all that together inside of a tablet with up to date hardware like AT LEAST a quad core processor..then you got a tablet that I am 100% willing to buy at a reasonable/affordable price.
Score
September 1, 2011 5:51:30 PM

and i always thought that being metro/gay wasnt a choice
Score
September 1, 2011 5:54:18 PM

monkeysweat said:
nice,, finally starting to get more choices,, take more ideas from Linux -- and maybe windows will be one of the nicest (prettiest) OSes to use

well then oh wise one let me know what linux distro looks better than windows
Score
September 1, 2011 5:55:03 PM

Wow, those tiles sure are great indicators of what freaking program they open.
Some text!
A man's chin!
01!
People running!
Green words!
They've made a total tradeoff of presenting information quickly rather that organizing it and making it quickly recognizable. In other place (like the office buttons) they go for a pretty looking consistency with the new apps rather optimizing that space or making the icons large and recognizable.
And my god, the awkward drop into the Win7 interface when Excel is opened. And trying to use the taskbar on a touch interface looked painful even for the presenter.

Ahem, the keyboard is pretty sweet. Nice photo app. Best of luck to you MS.
Score
September 1, 2011 5:56:42 PM

I'll stick with win7 as almost all of us did with XP when Vista came out, but thx for the effort anyways.
Score
September 1, 2011 5:57:06 PM

Sounds to me like Metro will be the default, and we'll have to manually switch to the desktop every time we reboot or log of. Thanks, but no thanks. Guess we could put the "desktop app" in the start menu or something.
Score
September 1, 2011 6:00:35 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that blocky/square UI in Windows 8 looks terrible?

Even on a smartphone/tablet it looks terrible.
Score
September 1, 2011 6:05:23 PM

I see this as a way to increase the accessibility of the PC to people who may not be as savvy as Tom's readers. This is giving more information at once for quicker consumption and doing it in fewer steps. While I think this this is primarily suited for tablets, I could see this being of great use in AIO PCs as well. Hell, depending on how games can be integrated, I may even use it.
Score
September 1, 2011 6:09:42 PM

i just hope they make it easy to turn that stuff off when the time comes. for just messing around that might be great. but for work stuff, development and such, that might just be annoying.

also, woulda been great if they showed what dual monitors looks like on there.
Score
September 1, 2011 6:10:23 PM

They didn't call that Tiles long time ago ?
Score
September 1, 2011 6:13:05 PM

Welcome to the new trend in the industry, simple enough for even a animal could use but for work this is a child's toy. It looks pretty, has massive and colorful tiles, meaningless pictures, and far far short of what most who use their machines for actual work need.

Fit for a toddler or some preschoolers but for programing or setting up routers and switches over command line no thanks.
Score
September 1, 2011 6:21:41 PM

I just threw up in my mouth.
Score
September 1, 2011 6:23:13 PM

pozaksWow, those tiles sure are great indicators of what freaking program they open.Some text!A man's chin!01!People running!Green words!They've made a total tradeoff of presenting information quickly rather that organizing it and making it quickly recognizable. In other place (like the office buttons) they go for a pretty looking consistency with the new apps rather optimizing that space or making the icons large and recognizable.And my god, the awkward drop into the Win7 interface when Excel is opened. And trying to use the taskbar on a touch interface looked painful even for the presenter.Ahem, the keyboard is pretty sweet. Nice photo app. Best of luck to you MS.

You do realize that you don't have to use Metro, right? You can turn it off and never have to look at it again and instead use the more feature-rich Explorer. I don't see why you are complaining about having choices.
Score
September 1, 2011 6:29:30 PM

no one pointed this out yet
Essentially, you can think of the Windows desktop as just another app.

does this mean that there will be older windows emulated through apps?

such as the experiance of xp, but with all the new crap added to it?

if so... i think im in love...

will get it the moment a xp "app" is shown off or announced.
Score
September 1, 2011 6:45:02 PM

If I can launch my games, music and browse the web, then ok.
Score
September 1, 2011 6:45:59 PM

Yeah just another laptop or tablet ui. No one is going to want to hold both hands straight out for any length of time in order to navigate or type on a desktop pc. So great, it's ok for small form and mobile, but what is the point for the desktop?
Score
September 1, 2011 6:53:59 PM

Yay now we can simplify everything so much that your computer's OS will be the same as your phone's!
Score
September 1, 2011 6:59:48 PM

Old old old news for anyone that followed computex. There was a nifty 30 minute video of windows 8 from there that showed what the UI changes would be, and I thought they were a welcome change.

http://microsoft-news.com/windows-8-preview-at-computex...

See the above link for a computex video on windows 8 showing about a dozen devices that have the OS installed and working on them, as well as a tech demo. The showcase of the different UI functions is much greater than in the 4 minute video linked above, but its a 30 minute video.
Score
September 1, 2011 7:00:24 PM

I want an LCARS interface, darnit.
Score
September 1, 2011 7:36:36 PM

alterechoWhats with all the retail OS makers lately? First Lion and now Windows 8.They've let the smartphone successes get to their heads.Smartphones should be smartphones and computers should be computers.

unfortunately, the heads (CEOS) of every company on a Monopoly gameboard, are propaganists. They are molding the minds of newborns, and are looking for ways to capitlize on a 10 Billion world population, eta 30 years from now. They don't care about yesterday anymore.

but yes, a PC is a PC until I die.
Score
September 1, 2011 7:37:31 PM

captaincharismawell then oh wise one let me know what linux distro looks better than windows

emmm... All of them? You confuse distro with desktop. Any distro + KDE makes windows look very dated.
Score
Anonymous
September 1, 2011 7:39:19 PM

OK, I hate this. I hope the desktop experience isn't changed much.

The whole notion that they're showing us using the new windows OS doing things an iPad can do... makes me want to cry.

This is so freaking weak to be showing off on a new OS... I hope they don't decide to lockstep windows 7 on an old DirectX and force gamers to "upgrade" to this BS.

I guess customer's who want dumbed down UIs are to blame, but it would have been nicer to see something that doesn't look almost exactly like an iPad screen

Score
September 1, 2011 7:54:54 PM

I'm never going to be interested in the tile format, but as long as the PC desktop IU of Win 8 works at least as well as Win 7 and windows update is improved I'm OK with it.
Score
September 1, 2011 7:56:26 PM

captaincharismawell then oh wise one let me know what linux distro looks better than windows

Ubuntu 11.04 WITHOUT Unity and WITH Compiz. As much as it is sad, it's true. They gotta just rip these effects off there, and that's all...
Score
September 1, 2011 8:24:18 PM

noblerabbitunfortunately, the heads (CEOS) of every company on a Monopoly gameboard, are propaganists. They are molding the minds of newborns, and are looking for ways to capitlize on a 10 Billion world population, eta 30 years from now. They don't care about yesterday anymore.but yes, a PC is a PC until I die.

It's too bad they'll be waiting longer than 30 years for 10 billion people.

The US will collapse into chaos in less than 10. This will lead to a massive drop in food production as farmers in the US go bankrupt and can't buy seed anymore. war follows, with California and Nevada go to war with Utah, Illinois goes to war with Indiana, and the NE states go to war with everybody trying to feed their multitudes of welfare recipients who can't even tend a garden. Figure a drop in population of the US by 200 million, South America by 500 million, SE asia and India by 800 million, Africa by 750 million, Europe by 600 million, and China by a full billion from lack of food. Food riots and wars will break out all around the world over food. More deaths will happen in war. This will go on for at least another 40-50 years.

In about 100 years, we might get back to the state of civilization we have today.
Score
September 1, 2011 8:25:50 PM

The Metro UI would sort of be nifty to run on a media server, If you have some sort of secondary screen that acts as the controller for it. Otherwise If i wanted the mobile UI experience i would buy a mobile device.
Score
Anonymous
September 1, 2011 8:47:59 PM

Sounds like this Metro UI will be a good 10 foot UI for my TV connected desktop. Here's hoping that I can control it with my gamepad or media center remote so I can launch games directly and not have to rely on third party media center software.

If not, maybe next time.

IB
Score
September 1, 2011 9:00:19 PM

I hear Linux calling!
Score
September 1, 2011 9:29:28 PM

dgingeriIt's too bad they'll be waiting longer than 30 years for 10 billion people. The US will collapse into chaos in less than 10. This will lead to a massive drop in food production as farmers in the US go bankrupt and can't buy seed anymore. war follows, with California and Nevada go to war with Utah, Illinois goes to war with Indiana, and the NE states go to war with everybody trying to feed their multitudes of welfare recipients who can't even tend a garden. Figure a drop in population of the US by 200 million, South America by 500 million, SE asia and India by 800 million, Africa by 750 million, Europe by 600 million, and China by a full billion from lack of food. Food riots and wars will break out all around the world over food. More deaths will happen in war. This will go on for at least another 40-50 years. In about 100 years, we might get back to the state of civilization we have today.

100 years... The devastation you are talking about is akin to Rome collapsing, and that took almost 1000 years to pick up the pieces...

Besides, food isn't the problem... potable water is...
Score
September 1, 2011 9:30:51 PM

Yes, Windows 8 is Metro-sexual at best. Especially the rainbow tiles.
Score
September 1, 2011 9:59:03 PM

So THIS is why Microsoft was patenting all those swipe motions.
Score
September 1, 2011 10:07:56 PM

I'd rather have the good old way for the desktop pc & rather see them keep their ideas for tablets & mobiles.
Score
September 1, 2011 10:25:01 PM

I don't know if I like this. Always have been always will be a desktop guy. It is nice you will have the opportunity to use old windows apps such as stuff from windows 7, and go to a more comfortable classic view. But I still don't know how I'll like the whole touch screen, smartphone feel on a pc. In my opinion if its not broke don't fix it, if you must make improvements do so but don't completely change EVERYTHING.
Score
September 1, 2011 10:25:41 PM

Thanks for clarifying that we can have Metro 24/7/365 if we wanted to, but can we have the regular desktop 24/7/365 without ever touching Metro? I don't mind if Metro is there on first install/boot, but I want to turn it off completely.
Score
September 1, 2011 10:26:39 PM

UGH, this thread is full of people who just don't get it.

The idea behind Metro isn't to lose the functionality of Windows; it's to enable Windows 8 to truly scale all the way up and down the hardware chain.
The point that is trying to be made is that you can run one or the other instead of both. It's called Windows 8, not Tiles 8.
Score
September 1, 2011 10:32:48 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
Ubuntu 11.04 WITHOUT Unity and WITH Compiz. As much as it is sad, it's true. They gotta just rip these effects off there, and that's all...

i wanted a linux distro that looks better than windows 7 alone. not with add-ons. i can find many add ons to change the look of windows 7 too

try again :ange: 
Score
September 1, 2011 10:35:08 PM

ravewulf said:
Thanks for clarifying that we can have Metro 24/7/365 if we wanted to, but can we have the regular desktop 24/7/365 without ever touching Metro? I don't mind if Metro is there on first install/boot, but I want to turn it off completely.

apparently this is one of those people that no matter how many times they try to tell him he just cannot understand
Score
!