Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Better video card recommendation for NFS games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2005 9:18:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hi all. I am currently using a TNT2 Pro 32 MB embedded video controller
(SiS 650) but Hot Pursuit 2 is crashing almost consistently at the end of
each race. The PC is a P4-2.6GHz (Gigabyte MB) with 1 GB RAM.

I want to add an entry-level 128 or 256 MB 3D graphics card to improve
performance, but don't know which to choose. I was going to buy an
XpertVision GT6200TC but cannot find a PCI interface version (only PCI-E).
The AGP version is a bit expensive.

Any suggestions? What cheaper PCI or AGP will work well for NFS and other
DirectX games without breaking the bank?

Tony
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2005 9:18:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 05:18:05 GMT, "Tony Gilbert" <tgilbert @
ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Hi all. I am currently using a TNT2 Pro 32 MB embedded video controller
>(SiS 650) but Hot Pursuit 2 is crashing almost consistently at the end of
>each race. The PC is a P4-2.6GHz (Gigabyte MB) with 1 GB RAM.
>
>I want to add an entry-level 128 or 256 MB 3D graphics card to improve
>performance, but don't know which to choose. I was going to buy an
>XpertVision GT6200TC but cannot find a PCI interface version (only PCI-E).
>The AGP version is a bit expensive.
>
>Any suggestions? What cheaper PCI or AGP will work well for NFS and other
>DirectX games without breaking the bank?
>
>Tony
>
>
Well. If you can't afford the 6200 AGP (I'd only get the
128bit version), you can always go on eBay, score a GF4 Ti card for
cheap. I use a Ti4400, and it plays NFS Hot Pursuit 2 perfectly.
Haven't played any of the newer NFS games, so I don't know how it
performs with them, but I imagine it's very playable.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2005 6:23:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Tony,
I think there is no AGP version of the 6200.
In any case, don't buy the 6200TC (Turbo Cach). There is nothing turbo in
it. It use some of the main RAM as video memory. Read the reviews in Tomy's
Hardware about it.
You can get an AGP version of the 6600 or 6600GT cards.

Tal

"Tony Gilbert" <tgilbert @ ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:he18e.12809$5F3.9502@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Hi all. I am currently using a TNT2 Pro 32 MB embedded video controller
> (SiS 650) but Hot Pursuit 2 is crashing almost consistently at the end of
> each race. The PC is a P4-2.6GHz (Gigabyte MB) with 1 GB RAM.
>
> I want to add an entry-level 128 or 256 MB 3D graphics card to improve
> performance, but don't know which to choose. I was going to buy an
> XpertVision GT6200TC but cannot find a PCI interface version (only PCI-E).
> The AGP version is a bit expensive.
>
> Any suggestions? What cheaper PCI or AGP will work well for NFS and other
> DirectX games without breaking the bank?
>
> Tony
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2005 6:41:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hi Larry

Isn't the 6200 an 8x AGP? Unfortunately my MB will only support 4x AGP (it
seems). Do you have a recommendation for 4X or PCI?

Tony

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
news:b5c1615akbgoop4tb0fotrot54tufv34f1@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 05:18:05 GMT, "Tony Gilbert" <tgilbert @
> ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>>Hi all. I am currently using a TNT2 Pro 32 MB embedded video controller
>>(SiS 650) but Hot Pursuit 2 is crashing almost consistently at the end of
>>each race. The PC is a P4-2.6GHz (Gigabyte MB) with 1 GB RAM.
>>
>>I want to add an entry-level 128 or 256 MB 3D graphics card to improve
>>performance, but don't know which to choose. I was going to buy an
>>XpertVision GT6200TC but cannot find a PCI interface version (only PCI-E).
>>The AGP version is a bit expensive.
>>
>>Any suggestions? What cheaper PCI or AGP will work well for NFS and other
>>DirectX games without breaking the bank?
>>
>>Tony
>>
>>
> Well. If you can't afford the 6200 AGP (I'd only get the
> 128bit version), you can always go on eBay, score a GF4 Ti card for
> cheap. I use a Ti4400, and it plays NFS Hot Pursuit 2 perfectly.
> Haven't played any of the newer NFS games, so I don't know how it
> performs with them, but I imagine it's very playable.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2005 6:41:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 02:41:32 GMT, "Tony Gilbert" <tgilbert @
ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Hi Larry
>
>Isn't the 6200 an 8x AGP? Unfortunately my MB will only support 4x AGP (it
>seems). Do you have a recommendation for 4X or PCI?
>
>Tony
>


It shouldn't matter if your board is AGP 4X because 8X AGP
cards are backwards compatible with AGP 4X slots. I think it's been
shown that there is no performance loss either.
There are GF4 Ti4200/4400/4600 cards that are AGP 4X, and
would blow any PCI card away. As for PCI cards, I think I read that
some company manufactured a PCI version of the FX5700LE, but I maybe
mistaken. I'm willing to bet that my GF4 Ti4400 would walk all over it
though as the PCI bus would cripple it severely.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2005 7:50:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 02:41:32 GMT, "Tony Gilbert" <tgilbert @
ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Hi Larry
>
>Isn't the 6200 an 8x AGP? Unfortunately my MB will only support 4x AGP (it
>seems). Do you have a recommendation for 4X or PCI?

Most AGP 4x motherboards (recent ones, anyway) will accept 8x cards.
They only run at 4x, of course, but they will work OK.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2005 8:21:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Larry Roberts <skin-e@juno.com> wrote:
>
> It shouldn't matter if your board is AGP 4X because 8X AGP
> cards are backwards compatible with AGP 4X slots.

Mostly. You *may* be able to find a rare pure 8x card that requires 0.8V or
AGP Pro and can't work with 1.5V as AGP 4x supplies.

Regards,
--
*Art
!