Better video card recommendation for NFS games

Hi all. I am currently using a TNT2 Pro 32 MB embedded video controller
(SiS 650) but Hot Pursuit 2 is crashing almost consistently at the end of
each race. The PC is a P4-2.6GHz (Gigabyte MB) with 1 GB RAM.

I want to add an entry-level 128 or 256 MB 3D graphics card to improve
performance, but don't know which to choose. I was going to buy an
XpertVision GT6200TC but cannot find a PCI interface version (only PCI-E).
The AGP version is a bit expensive.

Any suggestions? What cheaper PCI or AGP will work well for NFS and other
DirectX games without breaking the bank?

Tony
6 answers Last reply
More about better video card recommendation games

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 05:18:05 GMT, "Tony Gilbert" <tgilbert @
    ozemail.com.au> wrote:

    >Hi all. I am currently using a TNT2 Pro 32 MB embedded video controller
    >(SiS 650) but Hot Pursuit 2 is crashing almost consistently at the end of
    >each race. The PC is a P4-2.6GHz (Gigabyte MB) with 1 GB RAM.
    >
    >I want to add an entry-level 128 or 256 MB 3D graphics card to improve
    >performance, but don't know which to choose. I was going to buy an
    >XpertVision GT6200TC but cannot find a PCI interface version (only PCI-E).
    >The AGP version is a bit expensive.
    >
    >Any suggestions? What cheaper PCI or AGP will work well for NFS and other
    >DirectX games without breaking the bank?
    >
    >Tony

    Well. If you can't afford the 6200 AGP (I'd only get the
    128bit version), you can always go on eBay, score a GF4 Ti card for
    cheap. I use a Ti4400, and it plays NFS Hot Pursuit 2 perfectly.
    Haven't played any of the newer NFS games, so I don't know how it
    performs with them, but I imagine it's very playable.

    Tony,
    I think there is no AGP version of the 6200.
    In any case, don't buy the 6200TC (Turbo Cach). There is nothing turbo in
    it. It use some of the main RAM as video memory. Read the reviews in Tomy's
    Hardware about it.
    You can get an AGP version of the 6600 or 6600GT cards.

    Tal

    "Tony Gilbert" <tgilbert @ ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi all. I am currently using a TNT2 Pro 32 MB embedded video controller
    > (SiS 650) but Hot Pursuit 2 is crashing almost consistently at the end of
    > each race. The PC is a P4-2.6GHz (Gigabyte MB) with 1 GB RAM.
    >
    > I want to add an entry-level 128 or 256 MB 3D graphics card to improve
    > performance, but don't know which to choose. I was going to buy an
    > XpertVision GT6200TC but cannot find a PCI interface version (only PCI-E).
    > The AGP version is a bit expensive.
    >
    > Any suggestions? What cheaper PCI or AGP will work well for NFS and other
    > DirectX games without breaking the bank?
    >
    > Tony

    Hi Larry

    Isn't the 6200 an 8x AGP? Unfortunately my MB will only support 4x AGP (it
    seems). Do you have a recommendation for 4X or PCI?

    Tony

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 02:41:32 GMT, "Tony Gilbert" <tgilbert @
    ozemail.com.au> wrote:

    >Hi Larry
    >
    >Isn't the 6200 an 8x AGP? Unfortunately my MB will only support 4x AGP (it
    >seems). Do you have a recommendation for 4X or PCI?
    >
    >Tony

    It shouldn't matter if your board is AGP 4X because 8X AGP
    cards are backwards compatible with AGP 4X slots. I think it's been
    shown that there is no performance loss either.
    There are GF4 Ti4200/4400/4600 cards that are AGP 4X, and
    would blow any PCI card away. As for PCI cards, I think I read that
    some company manufactured a PCI version of the FX5700LE, but I maybe
    mistaken. I'm willing to bet that my GF4 Ti4400 would walk all over it
    though as the PCI bus would cripple it severely.

    ozemail.com.au> wrote:

    >Hi Larry
    >
    >Isn't the 6200 an 8x AGP? Unfortunately my MB will only support 4x AGP (it
    >seems). Do you have a recommendation for 4X or PCI?

    Most AGP 4x motherboards (recent ones, anyway) will accept 8x cards.
    They only run at 4x, of course, but they will work OK.

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

    Larry Roberts <skin-e@juno.com> wrote:

    > It shouldn't matter if your board is AGP 4X because 8X AGP
    > cards are backwards compatible with AGP 4X slots.

    Mostly. You *may* be able to find a rare pure 8x card that requires 0.8V or
    AGP Pro and can't work with 1.5V as AGP 4x supplies.

    Regards,
    --
    *Art

Nvidia Graphics Cards Graphics