thinman

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005

Bought the card and have found that there is a "ghosting" effect (light grey
shadow
to the immediate right of the typed text). Have tried several fresh
reinstalls of
XP Pro, using the drivers included with the card (MSI), downloading drivers
from the nVidia site ( ver 71.89 and older ones) and hacked drivers.
Also tried different screen resolutions, refresh rates and color quality
settings.
Nothing seems to help.

Any suggestions for a cure ???

thanks
ray

Maniac

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

thinman <sdasrs@cox.net> typed:

> Any suggestions for a cure ???

It's moire. Use your monitors moire correction.

--
maniac / maniac(at)tweak.pl
AMD 64 Bit Performance User

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 14:18:53 -0500, "thinman" <sdasrs@cox.net> wrote:

>Bought the card and have found that there is a "ghosting" effect (light grey
>shadow
>to the immediate right of the typed text). Have tried several fresh
>reinstalls of
>XP Pro, using the drivers included with the card (MSI), downloading drivers
>from the nVidia site ( ver 71.89 and older ones) and hacked drivers.
>Also tried different screen resolutions, refresh rates and color quality
>settings.
>Nothing seems to help.
>
>Any suggestions for a cure ???

Insufficient data. What brand/model of monitor and video-card. ?
Analog or Digital video output to monitor ?

You are seeing an "echo" due to faulty termination or poor-quality
components. Exclusively hardware -- monitor, cable, or video card
output-circuitry.

Did you just exchange the card in an existing system, or is the whole
system new to you ?

It is NOT a software/driver problem !!

John Lewis

>thanks
>ray

My Viewsonic P225f does the same, and it´s monitor-related. Mayby it´s your
monitor as well ?

hazmat

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2005

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 14:18:53 -0500, "thinman" <sdasrs@cox.net> wrote:

>Bought the card and have found that there is a "ghosting" effect (light grey
>shadow
>to the immediate right of the typed text). Have tried several fresh
>reinstalls of
>XP Pro, using the drivers included with the card (MSI), downloading drivers
>from the nVidia site ( ver 71.89 and older ones) and hacked drivers.
>Also tried different screen resolutions, refresh rates and color quality
>settings.
>Nothing seems to help.
>
>Any suggestions for a cure ???
>
>thanks
>ray

Not got font smoothing on under display properties/effects?

In article <vEy8e.2366$yO2.313@lakeread07>, thinman says...
> Bought the card and have found that there is a "ghosting" effect (light grey
> shadow
> to the immediate right of the typed text). Have tried several fresh
> reinstalls of
> XP Pro, using the drivers included with the card (MSI), downloading drivers
> from the nVidia site ( ver 71.89 and older ones) and hacked drivers.
> Also tried different screen resolutions, refresh rates and color quality
> settings.
> Nothing seems to help.
>
> Any suggestions for a cure ???

Yep...adjust your monitor properly. Its the monitor thats the problem.
If its a LCD/TFT look for a menu optino that lets you alter the
"phase" setting.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

thinman

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005

OK, thanks for all the suggestions....will sort thru and see what I find.

"thinman" <sdasrs@cox.net> wrote in message
> Bought the card and have found that there is a "ghosting" effect (light
> grey shadow
> to the immediate right of the typed text). Have tried several fresh
> reinstalls of
> XP Pro, using the drivers included with the card (MSI), downloading
> drivers
> from the nVidia site ( ver 71.89 and older ones) and hacked drivers.
> Also tried different screen resolutions, refresh rates and color quality
> settings.
> Nothing seems to help.
>
> Any suggestions for a cure ???
>
> thanks
> ray

rene

"thinman" <sdasrs@cox.net> schreef in bericht
> Bought the card and have found that there is a "ghosting" effect (light
> grey shadow
> to the immediate right of the typed text). Have tried several fresh
> reinstalls of
> XP Pro, using the drivers included with the card (MSI), downloading
> drivers
> from the nVidia site ( ver 71.89 and older ones) and hacked drivers.
> Also tried different screen resolutions, refresh rates and color quality
> settings.
> Nothing seems to help.
>
> Any suggestions for a cure ???

Hi Ray,

Indeed there is a big chance that Your monitor (cable) is at fault. Just
wanted to "warn" You though: When my Ti4200 started giving me those shadows,
it died very soon. (The fan was not broken.) So if You can't solve it, if it
gives the same effect on other monitors, go back to the shop.

Good luck. It's a good choice You made!

Greetings,
Rene

thinman

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005

Solved......found that the KVM switch I've been using doesn't work well with
the 6800GT card. Hooked the monitor to the card and all is good. Guess
I get to buy another new toy !!

thanks to all.....

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:13:34 -0500, "thinman" <sdasrs@cox.net> wrote:

>Solved......found that the KVM switch I've been using doesn't work well with
>the 6800GT card. Hooked the monitor to the card and all is good. Guess
>I get to buy another new toy !!

Ahhh.... I remember a legion of junk KVM switches that I went through
about a year and a half ago... Pity you did not tell us about the KVM
-- they contain active electronic circuitry and are NOT transparent.
Many are cheap and nasty design. A high-quality KVM contains
very-wide-bandwidth video amplifiers of very recent technology.

What make of KVM ?

I have 2 Belkin KVMs on 2 sets of computers. Excellent performance.
Zero echoes.

John Lewis

John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:

> I have 2 Belkin KVMs on 2 sets of computers. Excellent performance.
> Zero echoes.

Also zero support for PS/2 mice with extended command sets. Switch the
Belkin KVM, and you either get the extra buttons not working, or a mouse
pointer that randomly skits all over the place.
Then there's DDC passthrough, which is flaky at best.
And a built-in buzzer that can't be disabled (without a screwdriver and
soldering iron, that is).

In my experienced opinion, Belkin KVMs are the worst trash you can get, but
they're cheap and sold at major outlets, so many people have them.

--
*Art

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:57:15 -0400, "Arthur Hagen"
<art@broomstick.com> wrote:

>John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> I have 2 Belkin KVMs on 2 sets of computers. Excellent performance.
>> Zero echoes.
>
>Also zero support for PS/2 mice with extended command sets. Switch the
>Belkin KVM, and you either get the extra buttons not working, or a mouse
>pointer that randomly skits all over the place.

I have only the standard 3 button/wheel PS2 optical mice. No problem
with any mouse function on these standard mice. No pointer problem
whatsoever. The specific Belkins I use are the simple dual-input PS2,
analog-video cable-pod version (F1DK102P). I do not need KVM-audio
switching, as my audio amps have front-panel alternate-input switches.
The Belkin video is excellent.

>Then there's DDC passthrough, which is flaky at best.
>And a built-in buzzer that can't be disabled (without a screwdriver and
>soldering iron, that is).
>
>In my experienced opinion,

Yes ???

>Belkin KVMs are the worst trash you can get,

Nope, having personally sorted through some of the real trash ( in my
not-so-humble opinion as a professional video engineer...)

> but
>they're cheap and sold at major outlets, so many people have them.

Alternate recommendations for the OP, please, together with sample

John Lewis

>--
>*Art

thinman