How to do a clean install the new 71.89 drivers

It's been almost a year since I've updated my drivers. I've just
downloaded the latest 71.89 drivers. What's the best way to install
this? I've read a while back that it's better to completely uninstall
the old drivers before putting in the new one and there's actually a
program that does that. Is this still true? Where can I get that file?
4 answers Last reply
More about clean install drivers

    Yes, you should do that, and XP can do it just fine.

    --
    DaveW

    "Bowe" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > It's been almost a year since I've updated my drivers. I've just
    > downloaded the latest 71.89 drivers. What's the best way to install
    > this? I've read a while back that it's better to completely uninstall
    > the old drivers before putting in the new one and there's actually a
    > program that does that. Is this still true? Where can I get that file?

    It's certainly better to remove old drivers first, yes.
    If you're running XP then the add/remove programs found in control panel
    should do the trick.
    Just remove NVIDIA DRIVERS.
    Ignore XP trying to install for you when you reboot and carry on with
    installing the new drivers you've downloaded.

    "Bowe" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > It's been almost a year since I've updated my drivers. I've just
    > downloaded the latest 71.89 drivers. What's the best way to install
    > this? I've read a while back that it's better to completely uninstall
    > the old drivers before putting in the new one and there's actually a
    > program that does that. Is this still true? Where can I get that file?

    When I try uninstalling first with WindowsXP, Windows automatically installs
    the previous drives when I reboot. If I try to cancel it, I still get a
    listing for the nvidia drivers in the device manager -- i.e. it seems that I
    get some sort of "partial" install of the previous drivers rather than the
    "Standard VGA Adapter" that I got with previous Windows versions. What am I
    missing here? The uninstall process just doesn't seem to work as others
    describe, and it ends up making a mess of things. Could somebody point me
    to a CURRENT, detailed step by step process for uninstalling/installing the
    latest detonators. As I said, when I proceed as others describe, it simply
    doesn't work as they say -- I simply can't "completely" prevent XP from
    automatically installing the previous drivers.

    Thanks for any information on this,

    Larry

    "Larry L." <lalittleREMOVE2REPLY@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > When I try uninstalling first with WindowsXP, Windows automatically
    > installs the previous drives when I reboot. If I try to cancel it, I
    > still get a listing for the nvidia drivers in the device manager --
    > i.e. it seems that I get some sort of "partial" install of the
    > previous drivers rather than the "Standard VGA Adapter" that I got
    > with previous Windows versions. What am I missing here? The
    > uninstall process just doesn't seem to work as others describe, and
    > it ends up making a mess of things. Could somebody point me to a
    > CURRENT, detailed step by step process for uninstalling/installing
    > the latest detonators. As I said, when I proceed as others describe,
    > it simply doesn't work as they say -- I simply can't "completely"
    > prevent XP from automatically installing the previous drivers.
    > Thanks for any information on this,
    >
    > Larry

    Try this; uninstall the drivers, then, before rebooting, go to Device
    Manager Display adapter, Update driver, and select the Standard PCI VGA
    adapter. Then reboot. You should get the desktop without the New
    Hardware Wizard and install the new driver set then.
    Mcg.

    > "Phill Danks" <Phill.Danks@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> It's certainly better to remove old drivers first, yes.
    >> If you're running XP then the add/remove programs found in control
    >> panel should do the trick.
    >> Just remove NVIDIA DRIVERS.
    >> Ignore XP trying to install for you when you reboot and carry on with
    >> installing the new drivers you've downloaded.
    >>
    >> "Bowe" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> It's been almost a year since I've updated my drivers. I've just
    >>> downloaded the latest 71.89 drivers. What's the best way to install
    >>> this? I've read a while back that it's better to completely
    >>> uninstall the old drivers before putting in the new one and there's
    >>> actually a program that does that. Is this still true? Where can
    >>> I get that file?

Nvidia Drivers Clean Install Graphics