Gateway Laptop Should I buy one?

Looking for a latop for my college bound daughter. Circuit City has the
gateway 6010GZ Notebook on sale for 699 this week. Any thoughts on on this
model? Any suggestions for a like Notebook?
11 answers Last reply
More about gateway laptop

    Barry,

    I suggest you buy it. My Gateway stock could use a boost from the increased
    sales. Seriously, though, I bought a Gateway 400SP notebook a few years ago.
    It was on sale for $799.00. It's been an excellent machine, I've never had a
    problem with it. This is my second Gateway notebook. The first one (5150XL)
    goes back to 1999, and it's still working great. So, yes, Gateway makes good
    notebooks.

    Scott

    Barry Shapiro wrote:

    > Looking for a latop for my college bound daughter. Circuit City has the
    > gateway 6010GZ Notebook on sale for 699 this week. Any thoughts on on this
    > model? Any suggestions for a like Notebook?

    Barry,

    One more thought. Do get the 3-year extended warranty, as notebooke
    tend to take more abuse than a desktop.

    Scott

    Barry Shapiro wrote:

    > Looking for a latop for my college bound daughter. Circuit City has the
    > gateway 6010GZ Notebook on sale for 699 this week. Any thoughts on on this
    > model? Any suggestions for a like Notebook?

    Please do not mislead these poor people Scott. GW does not make
    anything. All GW is, is an up-front American Name for a down on its
    sorry luck company that deals in Cheap Asian junk loosely called
    computers which has the GW name stamped on the boxes. The only thing
    they do in the US is run a sales office and a marketing office, which
    deals in making people think GW boxes are made in America, by Americans
    and supported and repaired in America by Americans. According to
    TechWatch, their return support desktop boxes goto Mexico for repair
    and their return laptops go back to Taiwan for repair. Do a google on
    how many GW laptops have been gone for months to Taiwan for repair and
    never to ever be seen again. That one even made the national news a
    few months back because GW refused to replace them saying that it
    wasn't their fault that Taiwan lost the things.

    As has been said on this NG before, it doesn't matter who's notebook
    you buy, it was made in Taiwan. The big difference is how it will be
    supported by the people that are stamping their name on the box. GW
    has an extremely poor record of being honest and supportive with its
    victims, er customers. According to TechWatch, even though IBM's
    notebooks are also slung together in Taiwan, IBM at least does the
    hands on support/repair right here in the US for the Taiwanese
    notebooks with their name on the boxes. That doesn't make a Taiwanese
    built notebook with the IBM name stamped on it any better than the
    Taiwanese notebook with the GW name stamped on it. But when it comes
    to hands on support if the thing needs to be shipped back, at least the
    Taiwanese box with the IBM name stamped on it isn't sent back to
    Taiwan, or isn't as of right now....

    NIK

    health_wellness@solution4u.com wrote:

    > Please do not mislead these poor people Scott. GW does not make
    > anything. All GW is, is an up-front American Name for a down on its
    > sorry luck company that deals in Cheap Asian junk loosely called
    > computers which has the GW name stamped on the boxes. The only thing
    > they do in the US is run a sales office and a marketing office, which
    > deals in making people think GW boxes are made in America, by Americans
    > and supported and repaired in America by Americans. According to
    > TechWatch, their return support desktop boxes goto Mexico for repair
    > and their return laptops go back to Taiwan for repair. Do a google on
    > how many GW laptops have been gone for months to Taiwan for repair and
    > never to ever be seen again. That one even made the national news a
    > few months back because GW refused to replace them saying that it
    > wasn't their fault that Taiwan lost the things.
    >
    > As has been said on this NG before, it doesn't matter who's notebook
    > you buy, it was made in Taiwan. The big difference is how it will be
    > supported by the people that are stamping their name on the box. GW
    > has an extremely poor record of being honest and supportive with its
    > victims, er customers. According to TechWatch, even though IBM's
    > notebooks are also slung together in Taiwan, IBM at least does the
    > hands on support/repair right here in the US for the Taiwanese
    > notebooks with their name on the boxes. That doesn't make a Taiwanese
    > built notebook with the IBM name stamped on it any better than the
    > Taiwanese notebook with the GW name stamped on it. But when it comes
    > to hands on support if the thing needs to be shipped back, at least the
    > Taiwanese box with the IBM name stamped on it isn't sent back to
    > Taiwan, or isn't as of right now....
    >
    > NIK
    >
    > Scott wrote:
    > > So, yes, Gateway makes good
    > > notebooks.

    NIK,

    You're right, of course. I should have explained what most everyone knows,
    namely that all notebooks are made in Taiwan these days. I should qualify
    my endorsement of Gateway by saying that my last experience with their
    notebook tech support was about three years ago. A couple of times, I
    shipped my 5150XL to Gateway's repair center in Texas. The first time,
    I overnighted it to them on a Monday and received it back on Wednesday.
    Pretty fast service. Since my newer 400SP notebook has never needed tech
    support or repair, I cannot say how well they treat their customers today...
    although it does say something about the reliability of their laptops.
    I do know that Gateway used to make their desktops in Sioux Falls, SD (Ted
    Waitt invited me to tour their plant at one time, although I never took him
    up on it). Now with the e-machine "merger", I suppose that's no longer true.

    I agree with you that today a person would be smart to check out the repair
    procedure (and timeline) for a manufacturer before buying from them. I also
    acknowledge that Gateway's tech support has been sliding downward, as has
    the support of most manufacturers.

    Scott

    On 16 Jun 2005 12:12:52 -0700, health_wellness@solution4u.com wrote:

    >According to
    >TechWatch, their return support desktop boxes goto Mexico for repair

    I didn't know that but assumed it wasn't in the US any more since
    closing their Hands On Support doors in SD and TX.

    >and their return laptops go back to Taiwan for repair.

    I did know that and that has always been that way or at least has been
    back as far as the mid to late 90's when I started watching these
    people. This is one of the reasons I am looking at alternatives to
    get a battery replacement for my Laptop.... Here's the story...

    My system board battery (the disk shaped one on the MB) needs
    replaced. I posted a message on here about it a week or so ago. The
    laptop is still under extended warranty so I call "Business" support
    because it actually is a business computer and you get English
    speaking north Americans for support to boot. After getting the dense
    lady to understand which battery I am talking about, she says to hold
    on and puts me on hold listening to some God awful music. She comes
    back and tells me that I will have to send the laptop in because
    "THEY" need to do the replacement. Knowing that sending it in means
    off to Taiwan and probably never to be seen again, I tell her that I
    can replace the battery because it is right under the keyboard and
    easily accessible. She says that the battery is NOT accessible under
    the keyboard and the whole system will need to be disassembled. She
    refused to send me the battery even after I told her to forget the
    damned warranty and sell me a stupid battery. She refused.

    BTW, the battery is right under the keyboard and is easily accessible
    and is NOT hard mounted. EASY to replace.

    I then go to Maxell who makes the battery and they tell me that it is
    a PROPRIETARY battery and can only be purchased through the OEM.

    So there you have it... GW will not sell me the battery which a
    monkey could replace. Maxell will not sell one because GW does not
    allow it.

    Yep, ask me if you should buy Gateway!........

    >But when it comes
    >to hands on support if the thing needs to be shipped back, at least the
    >Taiwanese box with the IBM name stamped on it isn't sent back to
    >Taiwan, or isn't as of right now....

    I read or heard the same somewhere that IBM was the only ones left
    that still did repairs on laptops in the states. I also heard that
    they do it somewhere is Texas. Wonder if they took over the GW repair
    facility after GW sold everything including their dark little souls
    out to the Taiwanese?

    Regards,
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:26:27 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

    >I agree with you that today a person would be smart to check out the repair
    >procedure (and timeline) for a manufacturer before buying from them.

    Sad thing is, you probably won't be buying much of anything because
    most everyone's support has gone to hell. It a sign of the times.
    Its open warfare between the buying public and the Godless sellers of
    cheap trash from third word garbage dumps. They are out to screw as
    many people out of as much money as they can. And they will do just
    that as long as the buying public slops around allowing them to stick
    a cold hard one up everyone's wazoo again and again and again with
    everyone coming back for more every time their piece of trash quits
    working. S H E E P!

    But if you want or need a laptop, you got to go that route because
    there is no such thing as a local build on those. Like you said, the
    determining factor in whose Taiwanese box to buy is which one actually
    supports it (if any) and supports it on the same continent that the
    poor victim lives on. That leaves GW out for sure. Too many horror
    stories floating around the web concerning GW support or lack thereof.
    There are horror stories about the others also but GW seems to have
    more stories out there that the rest.

    Old Ted spent too much time making whoopy with the cows to understand
    about what type of support generates happy customers which relates to
    return business which relates to business growth which relates to....
    well, you get the picture. It ain't rocket science but sure is over
    the heads of most CEOs.

    How about those health benefits at GM? What was that about a cold
    hard one?

    Regards,
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Don't bet too heavily on IBM since they sold their computer (PC) business to
    the Chinese government. You would likely have to replace the word Tiawan
    with China in all you communications.

    "Shooter" <fhasfdjh@AlkjdaF@com> wrote in message
    > On 16 Jun 2005 12:12:52 -0700, health_wellness@solution4u.com wrote:
    >
    >>According to
    >>TechWatch, their return support desktop boxes goto Mexico for repair
    >
    > I didn't know that but assumed it wasn't in the US any more since
    > closing their Hands On Support doors in SD and TX.
    >
    >>and their return laptops go back to Taiwan for repair.
    >
    > I did know that and that has always been that way or at least has been
    > back as far as the mid to late 90's when I started watching these
    > people. This is one of the reasons I am looking at alternatives to
    > get a battery replacement for my Laptop.... Here's the story...
    >
    > My system board battery (the disk shaped one on the MB) needs
    > replaced. I posted a message on here about it a week or so ago. The
    > laptop is still under extended warranty so I call "Business" support
    > because it actually is a business computer and you get English
    > speaking north Americans for support to boot. After getting the dense
    > lady to understand which battery I am talking about, she says to hold
    > on and puts me on hold listening to some God awful music. She comes
    > back and tells me that I will have to send the laptop in because
    > "THEY" need to do the replacement. Knowing that sending it in means
    > off to Taiwan and probably never to be seen again, I tell her that I
    > can replace the battery because it is right under the keyboard and
    > easily accessible. She says that the battery is NOT accessible under
    > the keyboard and the whole system will need to be disassembled. She
    > refused to send me the battery even after I told her to forget the
    > damned warranty and sell me a stupid battery. She refused.
    >
    > BTW, the battery is right under the keyboard and is easily accessible
    > and is NOT hard mounted. EASY to replace.
    >
    > I then go to Maxell who makes the battery and they tell me that it is
    > a PROPRIETARY battery and can only be purchased through the OEM.
    >
    > So there you have it... GW will not sell me the battery which a
    > monkey could replace. Maxell will not sell one because GW does not
    > allow it.
    >
    > Yep, ask me if you should buy Gateway!........
    >
    >>But when it comes
    >>to hands on support if the thing needs to be shipped back, at least the
    >>Taiwanese box with the IBM name stamped on it isn't sent back to
    >>Taiwan, or isn't as of right now....
    >
    > I read or heard the same somewhere that IBM was the only ones left
    > that still did repairs on laptops in the states. I also heard that
    > they do it somewhere is Texas. Wonder if they took over the GW repair
    > facility after GW sold everything including their dark little souls
    > out to the Taiwanese?
    >
    > Regards,

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Correction, "People's Republic of China", one of the last communist regimes
    left on the planet.
    Might I suggest buying from Taiwan, a free and democratic "country"?

    Support democracies, not communists.

    "Tom Clydesdale" <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Don't bet too heavily on IBM since they sold their computer (PC) business
    > the Chinese government. You would likely have to replace the word Tiawan
    > with China in all you communications.
    >
    > "Shooter" <fhasfdjh@AlkjdaF@com> wrote in message
    > > On 16 Jun 2005 12:12:52 -0700, health_wellness@solution4u.com wrote:
    > >
    > >>According to
    > >>TechWatch, their return support desktop boxes goto Mexico for repair
    > >
    > > I didn't know that but assumed it wasn't in the US any more since
    > > closing their Hands On Support doors in SD and TX.
    > >
    > >>and their return laptops go back to Taiwan for repair.
    > >
    > > I did know that and that has always been that way or at least has been
    > > back as far as the mid to late 90's when I started watching these
    > > people. This is one of the reasons I am looking at alternatives to
    > > get a battery replacement for my Laptop.... Here's the story...
    > >
    > > My system board battery (the disk shaped one on the MB) needs
    > > replaced. I posted a message on here about it a week or so ago. The
    > > laptop is still under extended warranty so I call "Business" support
    > > because it actually is a business computer and you get English
    > > speaking north Americans for support to boot. After getting the dense
    > > lady to understand which battery I am talking about, she says to hold
    > > on and puts me on hold listening to some God awful music. She comes
    > > back and tells me that I will have to send the laptop in because
    > > "THEY" need to do the replacement. Knowing that sending it in means
    > > off to Taiwan and probably never to be seen again, I tell her that I
    > > can replace the battery because it is right under the keyboard and
    > > easily accessible. She says that the battery is NOT accessible under
    > > the keyboard and the whole system will need to be disassembled. She
    > > refused to send me the battery even after I told her to forget the
    > > damned warranty and sell me a stupid battery. She refused.
    > >
    > > BTW, the battery is right under the keyboard and is easily accessible
    > > and is NOT hard mounted. EASY to replace.
    > >
    > > I then go to Maxell who makes the battery and they tell me that it is
    > > a PROPRIETARY battery and can only be purchased through the OEM.
    > >
    > > So there you have it... GW will not sell me the battery which a
    > > monkey could replace. Maxell will not sell one because GW does not
    > > allow it.
    > >
    > > Yep, ask me if you should buy Gateway!........
    > >
    > >>But when it comes
    > >>to hands on support if the thing needs to be shipped back, at least the
    > >>Taiwanese box with the IBM name stamped on it isn't sent back to
    > >>Taiwan, or isn't as of right now....
    > >
    > > I read or heard the same somewhere that IBM was the only ones left
    > > that still did repairs on laptops in the states. I also heard that
    > > they do it somewhere is Texas. Wonder if they took over the GW repair
    > > facility after GW sold everything including their dark little souls
    > > out to the Taiwanese?
    > >
    > > Regards,

  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Shooter wrote:

    > On 16 Jun 2005 12:12:52 -0700, health_wellness@solution4u.com wrote:
    >
    > >According to
    > >TechWatch, their return support desktop boxes goto Mexico for repair
    >
    > I didn't know that but assumed it wasn't in the US any more since
    > closing their Hands On Support doors in SD and TX.
    >
    > >and their return laptops go back to Taiwan for repair.
    >
    > I did know that and that has always been that way or at least has been
    > back as far as the mid to late 90's when I started watching these
    > people. This is one of the reasons I am looking at alternatives to
    > get a battery replacement for my Laptop.... Here's the story...
    >
    > My system board battery (the disk shaped one on the MB) needs
    > replaced. I posted a message on here about it a week or so ago. The
    > laptop is still under extended warranty so I call "Business" support
    > because it actually is a business computer and you get English
    > speaking north Americans for support to boot. After getting the dense
    > lady to understand which battery I am talking about, she says to hold
    > on and puts me on hold listening to some God awful music. She comes
    > back and tells me that I will have to send the laptop in because
    > "THEY" need to do the replacement. Knowing that sending it in means
    > off to Taiwan and probably never to be seen again, I tell her that I
    > can replace the battery because it is right under the keyboard and
    > easily accessible. She says that the battery is NOT accessible under
    > the keyboard and the whole system will need to be disassembled. She
    > refused to send me the battery even after I told her to forget the
    > damned warranty and sell me a stupid battery. She refused.
    >
    > BTW, the battery is right under the keyboard and is easily accessible
    > and is NOT hard mounted. EASY to replace.
    >
    > I then go to Maxell who makes the battery and they tell me that it is
    > a PROPRIETARY battery and can only be purchased through the OEM.
    >
    > So there you have it... GW will not sell me the battery which a
    > monkey could replace. Maxell will not sell one because GW does not
    > allow it.
    >
    > Yep, ask me if you should buy Gateway!........
    >
    > >But when it comes
    > >to hands on support if the thing needs to be shipped back, at least the
    > >Taiwanese box with the IBM name stamped on it isn't sent back to
    > >Taiwan, or isn't as of right now....
    >
    > I read or heard the same somewhere that IBM was the only ones left
    > that still did repairs on laptops in the states. I also heard that
    > they do it somewhere is Texas. Wonder if they took over the GW repair
    > facility after GW sold everything including their dark little souls
    > out to the Taiwanese?
    >
    > Regards,

    Shooter,

    Kinda makes you wonder, since it was on the news recently that more laptops
    than desktops are being sold. Looks like a lot of us are headed for a train
    wreck.

    Scott
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:16:18 -0600, "Tom Clydesdale"
    <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Don't bet too heavily on IBM since they sold their computer (PC) business to
    >the Chinese government.

    A Chinese Company or the Chinese Government?

    Regards,
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    >But then I'm a pack rat.... I just hate throwing anything away even if
    >it is a broken piece of Taiwanese junk.

    So do you prefer desktops over laptops than?

Gateway Laptops Notebooks Computers