Sign in with
Your question

Linksys Router

Last response: in Networking
December 3, 2002 3:14:58 PM

hey everybody, I am in the process of shopping for a cable/dsl router. I am thinking about buying the Linksys BEFSR41 router. The number one thing I am looking at in a router is security another is speed. I have heard of some routers slowing cable modems down a little bit. If I am making the right choice in buying the Linksys BEFSR41 router or if there is another router out there better please e-mail me and give me your ideas or any recommended suggestions on another router or if I am making a good choice. Thanks for your help in advance.

More about : linksys router

December 3, 2002 4:08:46 PM

i just installed a linksys BEFSR41 ver 2. its a router with a 4 port switch. install went flawlessly and i am getting download speeds on both computers in the range of 2000 - 3000 kb/s. I used the registry tweaks from speedguide.net for cable modems. does make a difference. ive had no internet speed problems or transfering files from one computer to the other. there also is one that has a built in firewall if u want it.
December 3, 2002 8:37:40 PM

Toms just did a review and it came in second. Our local Comp USA has stacks of them for $99 US. Not the $240US price in the review. I bought mine about 6 months ago for $179 US at Best Buy.

I aint signing nothing!!!
Related resources
December 12, 2002 2:20:17 AM

I just bought and installed the BEFSX41, basically the same as the SR41 but it has the VPN/Endpoint capability built in. It creates up tp two IPSec VPN tunnels so you can connect securely to a corporate server if you happen to work from home. I'm in Canada and picked it upr for $159 and it was only $30 more than the SX41. Check out the Linksys website and all the specs are there to read. So far mine works great. I aslo had McAfee Firewall and it had problems connecting, so I uninstalled it and it works great. Besides the Router has built-in Firewall, and other nifty features. Hope that helps.
December 17, 2002 6:50:44 PM

I am using a Linksys BEFSR41 ver 2 that I purchased from www.amazon.com for about $55.00 with no shipping charges. I think it works great and I am not having any trouble. I think it is a great product.

when you see smoke is that a good sign?
January 6, 2003 1:09:23 AM

hey, this looks really cool, i just went on the site but i don't see anything for Windows XP?

i am a cable modem user and i am interested in this tweaking if it will help, by the way, what does it help? download speeds?

how will i see a difference, or it's not really that much of a difference?

Is THG Slightly Slacking??
January 6, 2003 4:47:33 AM

240 dollars!!! when they were brand new they were less than 200!!!

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!
January 7, 2003 8:47:21 PM

heh. When they were brand new they were $299. That router has been out for much longer than you think. The BEFSR41 weighed more back then.

Right now you can get them for $50 at compUSA. $60 /w $10 mail in rebate.

And I don't think those tests still apply. Some amazing things have been done with that router's firmware since then. (Maybe its worse ;)  And they are all considered version 2 now. That test was most likely done on version 1.

---------------------------------------
phr0Ze

It may say I'm a NOOB but I've been hiding in the shadows @ THG since 97.
January 10, 2003 1:58:38 PM

I've had my BEFSR41 for quite a while and linky has worked very good for me.
January 14, 2003 11:55:18 AM

My friend is using a Linksys router for over a year. He did not have any problem with it.
!