Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 8 usb 3.0 ports

Last response: in Windows 8
November 7, 2012 11:05:33 PM

Hello,
Just upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8. After the upgrade the OS no longer recognizes the usb 3.0 ports.
I have a P8P67 Pro motherboard and am on Bios release 3207. I see that there is a laterBIOS release for the P8P67-M motherboard, but don'tknow if I can load this on mine

More about : windows usb ports

a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 11:14:32 PM

You can try a BIOS update, but have you tried installing your motherboard's chipset drivers or if needed, other USB 3.0-related drivers first?
Related resources
November 8, 2012 1:18:00 AM

jemm said:
If your mobo is REV 3.0, then you need to download NEC USB 3.0 controllers driver, on the other hand if it is REV 3.1, then you need the ASMedia USB 3.0 controllers driver.

NEC USB 3.0 controllers driver http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldI...

ASMedia USB 3.0 controllers driver http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=US...

Jemm,

Unfortunately, this is the original board purchased in Feb 2011. It's using Renesas usb 3.0 host controllers.
November 8, 2012 12:41:04 PM

jemm, sorry, I didn't realize that renesas = intel. I loaded the driver update and the system recognized my device when I plugged it in (heard a tone and got a message), but only for a second. I then went to device manager to see what happened. It showed the host 3.0 controllers as fine, but indicated a problem with the root hub - code 19 windows can't start device because its configuration info in the registry is damaged. Looks like some progress but something is still wrong

Best solution

a b \ Driver
a b * Windows 8
a c 333 V Motherboard
November 8, 2012 4:08:00 PM
November 8, 2012 11:39:37 PM

Cin19,

I had the same thing happen to me as with the jemm recommendation. I loaded the driver update, checked device manager and everything looked like it was good to go. The system recognized my device when I plugged it in (heard a tone, got a connection notice) but only for a second. I then went to device manager to see what happened. It showed the host 3.0 controllers as fine, but indicated a problem with the root hub - code 19 windows can't start device because its configuration info in the registry is damaged. I then went through the whole process again, but used a usb 2.0 device to connect to the usb 3.0 port - same thing. Any other thoughts?

I cloned a copy of my windows 7 system just prior to doing the windows 8 upgrade. Thinking about going through the whole update process again, but with the latest BIOS and USB 3.0 drivers that you guys have found for me.
a b * Windows 8
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2012 1:24:43 AM

Strange my mainboard is using the Renesas usb 3.0 host controllers and Windows 8 found and installed the drivers during the initial setup. I did not have to install any drivers other than the CCC drivers for my Sapphire 6950.
November 9, 2012 5:16:17 PM

bryonhowley said:
Strange my mainboard is using the Renesas usb 3.0 host controllers and Windows 8 found and installed the drivers during the initial setup. I did not have to install any drivers other than the CCC drivers for my Sapphire 6950.

Bryon,

Interesting. In going thru the problem analysis process, I discovered that my system 7 drivers were not the latest ones, even though if you use device manager Microsoft says they are. There were two later editions available. I suspect that my issue isn't the drivers at all, and , like yours, were probably OK to begin with. My last shot at this showed that as soon as I plugged in my USB 3.0 external drive the USB root hubs take a hit. It appears that the external driver may also not be windows 8 ready.

The problem with plugging in a USB 2.0 device into the USB 3.0 port went away when I turned off the power management option in renesas USB 3.0 utility.

Thanks for the feedback
November 9, 2012 10:55:48 PM

Best answer selected by fasteddie1947.
!