Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

NVIDIA Linux Drivers: just unpractical.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2005 8:51:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hello:
because of NVIDIA close driver source and probably a license agreement
which does not allow to distribute free binaries with Linux distributions,
using an NVIDIA video card on a linux system is unfortunately a real pain
to install.

Also NVIDIA drivers are usually very late and come several months (I have
seen 5 months) after new versions of Linux are released.

NVIDIA provides driver installation and procedures which are inadequate.
I do not know if NVIDIA competitors do better, because I have purchased
NVIDIA after NVIDIA video cards.

When I buy my next video cards, Linux "practicality" will be an issue, and I
will try to purchase a card which works out of the box as 3d on most
Linuxes distributions (art least the three ones) , with an automated
install, and easy upgrade to new kernels also.

May I suggest you do the same?
Thanks for the attention.
---
April 27, 2005 4:12:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

If Linux was as easy as windows everyone would use it because it is a better
OS,
unfortunately the powers to be, Gates and company keep it suppressed.

"AnonymousFC3" <ano@fc3.net> wrote in message
news:IYadnbn3aqxwTvPfRVn-1Q@comcast.com...
> Hello:
> because of NVIDIA close driver source and probably a license agreement
> which does not allow to distribute free binaries with Linux distributions,
> using an NVIDIA video card on a linux system is unfortunately a real pain
> to install.
>
> Also NVIDIA drivers are usually very late and come several months (I have
> seen 5 months) after new versions of Linux are released.
>
> NVIDIA provides driver installation and procedures which are inadequate.
> I do not know if NVIDIA competitors do better, because I have purchased
> NVIDIA after NVIDIA video cards.
>
> When I buy my next video cards, Linux "practicality" will be an issue, and
> I
> will try to purchase a card which works out of the box as 3d on most
> Linuxes distributions (art least the three ones) , with an automated
> install, and easy upgrade to new kernels also.
>
> May I suggest you do the same?
> Thanks for the attention.
> ---
>
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2005 6:19:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:tNWdnTKqGIqqjPLfRVn-jA@comcast.com...
> If Linux was as easy as windows everyone would use it because it is a
> better OS,
> unfortunately the powers to be, Gates and company keep it suppressed.

Yeah.. Bill is sitting in his office, plotting how to keep Linux down.
Right. More likely, nVidia is limited by the smaller userbase that Linux
entertains. It makes more sense for them to devote most of their
development time for their largest userbase, which is Windows users. The
fact that they write Linux drivers at all shows they DO support the OS.

Why don't you write your own drivers? Linux *is* all about open source,
after all. ;) 

RF
Related resources
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2005 7:37:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:51:01 -0700, AnonymousFC3 <ano@fc3.net> wrote:

>Hello:
> because of NVIDIA close driver source and probably a license agreement
>which does not allow to distribute free binaries with Linux distributions,
>using an NVIDIA video card on a linux system is unfortunately a real pain
>to install.
>
>Also NVIDIA drivers are usually very late and come several months (I have
>seen 5 months) after new versions of Linux are released.
>
>NVIDIA provides driver installation and procedures which are inadequate.
>I do not know if NVIDIA competitors do better, because I have purchased
>NVIDIA after NVIDIA video cards.
>
>When I buy my next video cards, Linux "practicality" will be an issue, and I
>will try to purchase a card which works out of the box as 3d on most
>Linuxes distributions (art least the three ones) , with an automated
>install, and easy upgrade to new kernels also.
>
>May I suggest you do the same?
>Thanks for the attention.
>---

It's this very fact that keeps me from using Linux. It's a
shame. I think the Linux OS, which ever distro you like, is a very
capable competetor, but it can never take on Windows as a desktop OS
if only users who know how to compile drivers, or write their own for
it to support the hardware they use are able to use it.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2005 12:52:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

AnonymousFC3 wrote:

> Hello:
> because of NVIDIA close driver source and probably a license agreement
> which does not allow to distribute free binaries with Linux distributions,
> using an NVIDIA video card on a linux system is unfortunately a real pain
> to install.
>
> Also NVIDIA drivers are usually very late and come several months (I have
> seen 5 months) after new versions of Linux are released.
>
> NVIDIA provides driver installation and procedures which are inadequate.
> I do not know if NVIDIA competitors do better, because I have purchased
> NVIDIA after NVIDIA video cards.
>
> When I buy my next video cards, Linux "practicality" will be an issue, and
> I will try to purchase a card which works out of the box as 3d on most
> Linuxes distributions (art least the three ones) , with an automated
> install, and easy upgrade to new kernels also.

In that case I would advise you to buy an _old_ video board. Personally
I've never had any trouble installing the nvidia drivers on any version of
Linux I've tried, and I don't use any of the commercial distributions. But
if you want open source you're going to have to go back several generations
of technology.

> May I suggest you do the same?
> Thanks for the attention.
> ---

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2005 12:54:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

BigJIm wrote:

> If Linux was as easy as windows everyone would use it because it is a
> better OS,
> unfortunately the powers to be, Gates and company keep it suppressed.

Uh, the only way "Gates and company" can cause Linux to be harder to use
than Windows is to make Windows very easy to use. They have no control
whatsoever over open source.

If you know of a mechanism other than "better marketing" by which they keep
Linux suppressed, please present it.

> "AnonymousFC3" <ano@fc3.net> wrote in message
> news:IYadnbn3aqxwTvPfRVn-1Q@comcast.com...
>> Hello:
>> because of NVIDIA close driver source and probably a license agreement
>> which does not allow to distribute free binaries with Linux
>> distributions, using an NVIDIA video card on a linux system is
>> unfortunately a real pain to install.
>>
>> Also NVIDIA drivers are usually very late and come several months (I have
>> seen 5 months) after new versions of Linux are released.
>>
>> NVIDIA provides driver installation and procedures which are inadequate.
>> I do not know if NVIDIA competitors do better, because I have purchased
>> NVIDIA after NVIDIA video cards.
>>
>> When I buy my next video cards, Linux "practicality" will be an issue,
>> and I
>> will try to purchase a card which works out of the box as 3d on most
>> Linuxes distributions (art least the three ones) , with an automated
>> install, and easy upgrade to new kernels also.
>>
>> May I suggest you do the same?
>> Thanks for the attention.
>> ---
>>

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2005 1:00:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Larry Roberts wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:51:01 -0700, AnonymousFC3 <ano@fc3.net> wrote:
>
>>Hello:
>> because of NVIDIA close driver source and probably a license agreement
>>which does not allow to distribute free binaries with Linux distributions,
>>using an NVIDIA video card on a linux system is unfortunately a real pain
>>to install.
>>
>>Also NVIDIA drivers are usually very late and come several months (I have
>>seen 5 months) after new versions of Linux are released.
>>
>>NVIDIA provides driver installation and procedures which are inadequate.
>>I do not know if NVIDIA competitors do better, because I have purchased
>>NVIDIA after NVIDIA video cards.
>>
>>When I buy my next video cards, Linux "practicality" will be an issue, and
>>I will try to purchase a card which works out of the box as 3d on most
>>Linuxes distributions (art least the three ones) , with an automated
>>install, and easy upgrade to new kernels also.
>>
>>May I suggest you do the same?
>>Thanks for the attention.
>>---
>
> It's this very fact that keeps me from using Linux. It's a
> shame. I think the Linux OS, which ever distro you like, is a very
> capable competetor, but it can never take on Windows as a desktop OS
> if only users who know how to compile drivers, or write their own for
> it to support the hardware they use are able to use it.

What's so hard about "make config; make; make install"?

Unless you want accelerated 3d the drivers that come in the box with Linux
work fine--if you want accelerated 3d the drivers that come in the Windows
box don't work any better than the ones that come in the Linux box--in both
cases you have to install nvidia-provided drivers.

The objection is a political one--nvidia refuses to divulge the source code
for their drivers or the programing interface for the chips--compiling the
drivers is not an issue because you don't have any source code to
compile--nvidia provides precompiled binaries, not compilable source, and
this is viewed by certain zealots in the Open Source community as being
eeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvviiiiiiiillllllll.



--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2005 1:01:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

RaceFace wrote:

>
> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:tNWdnTKqGIqqjPLfRVn-jA@comcast.com...
>> If Linux was as easy as windows everyone would use it because it is a
>> better OS,
>> unfortunately the powers to be, Gates and company keep it suppressed.
>
> Yeah.. Bill is sitting in his office, plotting how to keep Linux down.
> Right. More likely, nVidia is limited by the smaller userbase that Linux
> entertains. It makes more sense for them to devote most of their
> development time for their largest userbase, which is Windows users. The
> fact that they write Linux drivers at all shows they DO support the OS.
>
> Why don't you write your own drivers? Linux *is* all about open source,
> after all. ;) 

He'd have to reverse engineer the instruction set for the chip first.
That's the big objection that the open source community has--nvidia won't
provide the information they need to write a driver.

> RF

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
April 27, 2005 1:12:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 03:37:07 -0500, Larry Roberts <skin-e@juno.com>
wrote:

> It's this very fact that keeps me from using Linux. It's a
>shame. I think the Linux OS, which ever distro you like, is a very
>capable competetor, but it can never take on Windows as a desktop OS
>if only users who know how to compile drivers, or write their own for
>it to support the hardware they use are able to use it.

It is great for a desktop OS as it is, for novice users it is easier
to install Linux and have their hardware detected automatically than
Windows. It is just gamers and power users that have a harder time. I
have used it a lot and never had to compile let alone write anything.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2005 4:43:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:00:00 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>What's so hard about "make config; make; make install"?

What does "make" do? What are the semicolons for? Do I include the
quotes? What's a "config"? What's an "install"? Does this solve
every problem with drivers, or just the one we're talking about here?
At what point do I issue this command? How do I enter it? How do I
get a command line? How would I know the difference between a failed
command and a typo?

Etc.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2005 5:26:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

AnonymousFC3 <ano@fc3.net> scribbled on the stall wall:
> Hello:
> because of NVIDIA close driver source and probably a license agreement
> which does not allow to distribute free binaries with Linux distributions,
> using an NVIDIA video card on a linux system is unfortunately a real pain
> to install.
>
> Also NVIDIA drivers are usually very late and come several months (I have
> seen 5 months) after new versions of Linux are released.
>
> NVIDIA provides driver installation and procedures which are inadequate.
> I do not know if NVIDIA competitors do better, because I have purchased
> NVIDIA after NVIDIA video cards.
>
> When I buy my next video cards, Linux "practicality" will be an issue, and I
> will try to purchase a card which works out of the box as 3d on most
> Linuxes distributions (art least the three ones) , with an automated
> install, and easy upgrade to new kernels also.
>
> May I suggest you do the same?
> Thanks for the attention.
> ---
>

ah...quit'cher'bitchin!


----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2005 6:46:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

In article <IYadnbn3aqxwTvPfRVn-1Q@comcast.com>, AnonymousFC3 says...
> Hello:
> because of NVIDIA close driver source and probably a license agreement
> which does not allow to distribute free binaries with Linux distributions,
> using an NVIDIA video card on a linux system is unfortunately a real pain
> to install.
>
Rubbish. Even I can do it.
Download <packagename>.run

Open up terminal.
telinit 3
log in as root.
cd to directory the downloaded file is in.
sh <packagename>.run

....follow the bouncing ball.

May need to fire up mc to edit the XF86Config file and change nv to
nvidia.

telinit 5.

Job done.


> NVIDIA provides driver installation and procedures which are inadequate.

Only if you can't actually read.

> I do not know if NVIDIA competitors do better, because I have purchased
> NVIDIA after NVIDIA video cards.
>
> When I buy my next video cards, Linux "practicality" will be an issue, and I
> will try to purchase a card which works out of the box as 3d on most
> Linuxes distributions (art least the three ones) , with an automated
> install, and easy upgrade to new kernels also.
>
Non exist. All 3D cards use manufacturers own drivers. The bundled OSS
ones are quite frankly shite.

> May I suggest you do the same?

May I suggest you actually start to learn how to use Linux?

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2005 7:26:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

AnonymousFC3 wrote:
> Hello:
> because of NVIDIA close driver source and probably a license agreement
> which does not allow to distribute free binaries with Linux distributions,
> using an NVIDIA video card on a linux system is unfortunately a real pain
> to install.
>
> Also NVIDIA drivers are usually very late and come several months (I have
> seen 5 months) after new versions of Linux are released.
>
> NVIDIA provides driver installation and procedures which are inadequate.
> I do not know if NVIDIA competitors do better, because I have purchased
> NVIDIA after NVIDIA video cards.
>
> When I buy my next video cards, Linux "practicality" will be an issue, and I
> will try to purchase a card which works out of the box as 3d on most
> Linuxes distributions (art least the three ones) , with an automated
> install, and easy upgrade to new kernels also.
>
> May I suggest you do the same?
> Thanks for the attention.
> ---
>

Current version: 71.74 (1.0-7174)
Released: 31 Mar 2005

To install...

sh nvidia-insntaller.run

Just say yes to any message about compiling a kernel module.

edit your xorg.conf as outline in the README.

I've just rebuilt my server using an old P2-433 system and a FX5600.
Installing the new drivers is almost idiot proof. NVIDIA's installer
really reminds me of the old DOS days as far as usability is concerned.
It's no longer a cryptic compilation sequence. It's actually very
reliable and easy to use now.

Linux is getting quite a bit better in areas it used to lack very badly.
Soundcard setup and usage is standardized fairly well. Even new
graphics cards are supported. And GNome is very quickly becoming more
intuitive and seen as THE standard Window manager.

The only thing I'd like to see away with is so many different package
formats and the need for repositories. People are too dependent on
distribution supplied packages for updates and installing new software.
There should be an easy to use universal installer that keeps track of
updates and makes organizing your current installed programs much more
like Windows has.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2005 9:29:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1cd9a80cba5e35409899a1@news.individual.net...
> In article <IYadnbn3aqxwTvPfRVn-1Q@comcast.com>, AnonymousFC3 says...
>> Hello:
>> because of NVIDIA close driver source and probably a license agreement
>> which does not allow to distribute free binaries with Linux
>> distributions,
>> using an NVIDIA video card on a linux system is unfortunately a real pain
>> to install.
>>
> Rubbish. Even I can do it.
> Download <packagename>.run
>
> Open up terminal.
> telinit 3
> log in as root.
> cd to directory the downloaded file is in.
> sh <packagename>.run
>
> ...follow the bouncing ball.
>
> May need to fire up mc to edit the XF86Config file and change nv to
> nvidia.
>
> telinit 5.
>
> Job done.
>

And people wonder why linux isn't more mainstream? Why make it more
complicated than simply downloading your driver then double clicking it to
install?

>
>> NVIDIA provides driver installation and procedures which are inadequate.
>
> Only if you can't actually read.
>
>> I do not know if NVIDIA competitors do better, because I have purchased
>> NVIDIA after NVIDIA video cards.
>>
>> When I buy my next video cards, Linux "practicality" will be an issue,
>> and I
>> will try to purchase a card which works out of the box as 3d on most
>> Linuxes distributions (art least the three ones) , with an automated
>> install, and easy upgrade to new kernels also.
>>
> Non exist. All 3D cards use manufacturers own drivers. The bundled OSS
> ones are quite frankly shite.
>
>> May I suggest you do the same?
>
> May I suggest you actually start to learn how to use Linux?
>
> --
> Conor
>
> "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2005 11:05:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

In article <3d9sueF6nk240U1@individual.net>, Les Steel says...

>
> And people wonder why linux isn't more mainstream? Why make it more
> complicated than simply downloading your driver then double clicking it to
> install?
>
Depending on the distro, you can. With SuSE you just download the
driver with the online update.



--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2005 3:00:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:07:12 +0100, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <3d9t7lF6j3al7U1@individual.net>, Les Steel says...
>>
>>
>> >
>> > What's so hard about "make config; make; make install"?
>> >
>>
>> Why make it more complicated than simply downloading your driver then double
>> clicking it to install?
>>
>Virus writers the world over love people like you.
>

Well. In all the years that I've been BBSing, and on the
Internet, I can count on one hand how many times I got a virus using
DOS, & Windows "what ever version". It comes down to actually
practicing good computer habits. Linux is not as vunerable, but if it
where to ever become more mainstream, then all the virus writers will
love you as well. Besides. Where has anyone got a virus downloading,
and installing a driver from the manufacturer?
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2005 11:45:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

In article <3dcj9jF6qjf5iU1@individual.net>, Les Steel says...

>
> I already said I couldn't be bothered anymore, too full of rage at someone
> daring to disrespect Linux to read what is written?
>
Too stupid to look at my headers?


> Perhaps I might, but I've never used one and have no intention of using one,
> your point was?

Its not Windows, it works differently. You're expecting it to work the
same, i.e 1 click driver install. It doesn't.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 29, 2005 12:18:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1cdb3f99f45362849899d4@news.individual.net...
> In article <3dcj9jF6qjf5iU1@individual.net>, Les Steel says...
>
>>
>> I already said I couldn't be bothered anymore, too full of rage at
>> someone
>> daring to disrespect Linux to read what is written?
>>
> Too stupid to look at my headers?
>
>

Why would I bother to look at the headers?
April 29, 2005 1:03:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Conor wrote:
> Its not Windows, it works differently. You're expecting it to work the
> same, i.e 1 click driver install. It doesn't.

Definitily not Windows! Thank God!

But I don't know if I agree with you that it isn't "1 click driver
install". The nvidia-drivers are pretty much 1click drivers. Ok, you
need to edit your xorg.conf file in order to use the driver (unless you
of course have an old nvidia driver installed previous) (I actually
haven't figured out, why nvidia hasn't made this a part of their
install-script since it's a pretty straight forward operation).

A.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 29, 2005 4:52:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

In article <4271337f$0$684$ba624c82@nntp04.dk.telia.net>, Anders
says...

> But I don't know if I agree with you that it isn't "1 click driver
> install". The nvidia-drivers are pretty much 1click drivers. Ok, you
> need to edit your xorg.conf file in order to use the driver

And exit X, log in as root, navigate by CLI to the directory the file
is in then run it again in CLI then as you said, edit your X server
config file.



--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 29, 2005 4:52:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

In article <3dcr8sF6q06p0U1@individual.net>, Les Steel says...
>
> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1cdb3f99f45362849899d4@news.individual.net...
> > In article <3dcj9jF6qjf5iU1@individual.net>, Les Steel says...
> >
> >>
> >> I already said I couldn't be bothered anymore, too full of rage at
> >> someone
> >> daring to disrespect Linux to read what is written?
> >>
> > Too stupid to look at my headers?
> >
> >
>
> Why would I bother to look at the headers?
>
It'd tell you what newsreader I'm using and if you had half a clue
you'd realise it doesn't work on Linux, even under WINE/Codeweavers.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
!