Upgrading graphics card.

I'm thinking of upgrading my old GForce4 graphics card.
All the cards on the market are AGP 8x, my motherboard is fairly old
(Asus P4S533) and only a 4x.

Will an 8x card work (I know it would be slower). I don't want to
upgrade my MB at this stage.

Cheers.
Suzi
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrading graphics card

    Yes an 8x card will work in your system at half the memory bandwidth.

    --
    DaveW

    "Fluzi_Suzi" <headgirl@school.com> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking of upgrading my old GForce4 graphics card.
    > All the cards on the market are AGP 8x, my motherboard is fairly old
    > (Asus P4S533) and only a 4x.
    >
    > Will an 8x card work (I know it would be slower). I don't want to
    > upgrade my MB at this stage.
    >
    > Cheers.
    > Suzi

    Not much difference between AGPx4 and x8.
    It´ll work, yes.

    There will be almost no performance difference between 4x and 8x

    > Yes an 8x card will work in your system at half the memory bandwidth.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "Fluzi_Suzi" <headgirl@school.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm thinking of upgrading my old GForce4 graphics card.
    > > All the cards on the market are AGP 8x, my motherboard is fairly old
    > > (Asus P4S533) and only a 4x.
    > >
    > > Will an 8x card work (I know it would be slower). I don't want to
    > > upgrade my MB at this stage.
    > >
    > > Cheers.
    > > Suzi

Nvidia Graphics Cards Motherboards Graphics