Measure temperature of GeForce 6600 GPU?

Hi,

How can I measure the temperature of my GPU? I have replaced the
original cooler with a Zalman VF700-Cu.

If I open ntune I can't see the GPU temperature (and I can't switch
monitoring of it on). I can only see System and CPU.

Also when I open ntune, I get the following message:

"Warning: Your PCI clock is currently set to track the HT bus. If you
want to adjust the clock for the HT bus, the PCI bus clock will change
as well. Please consult your motherboard manual to determine how to
disable this behavior before proceeding.

NVIDIA is not responsible for data loss or hardware damage resultung
from ignoring this warning message."

Anyone know how I can fix this? I have a Asus A8N-SLI motherboard and a
Point Of View GeForce 6600 256Mb graphics card.

Thanx
A.
9 answers Last reply
More about measure temperature geforce 6600

    You monitor the temperature of yer 6600 card through the nVidia display
    applet, provided yer graphics card BIOS has temperature monitoring enabled.
    If you right click on yer wallpaper and select properties, settings, advaned
    and then select the geforce 6600 tab, there should be a temperature settings
    option. That should show you yer GPU temp.

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:40:23 +0200, Anders <no@spamforme.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >How can I measure the temperature of my GPU? I have replaced the
    >original cooler with a Zalman VF700-Cu.

    You did all that before you discovered that you did not know how to
    measure the GPU temperature ? Talk about putting the cart in front of
    the horse............. Gee, it might have been nice to ascertain the
    improvement (if any) for the extra $$ spent..........

    For Win XP, you can access the "Temperature Settings" window to view
    the GPU temperature via the Control Panel --->Display --> Settings -->
    Advanced ---> select the nVidia 6600GT Tab -->Additional Properties.

    If you genuinely want to measure worst-case GPU temperature, then
    leave the Temperature Settings window open on Desktop, run up Far Cry
    with graphics maxed out, Alt -Tab out of the game after a couple of
    minutes of 3D play and IMMEDIATELY read the GPU core temp...it is
    guaranteed to drop 4-5 degrees C within 1 second after the Al-Tab !!!

    If you can access a bunch of other hardware parameters but no
    "Temperature Settings", then maybe your no-reputable-name 6600GT left
    out the temperature monitor ? A nasty habit with the less stellar
    vendors of FX and 6xxx nVidia cards. Allows them to install cheesy
    heat-sinks on the principle that what the customer does not know won't
    hurt him/her, at least within the limited warranty period :-( :-(

    John Lewis

    Sharanga Dayananda wrote:
    > You monitor the temperature of yer 6600 card through the nVidia display
    > applet, provided yer graphics card BIOS has temperature monitoring enabled.
    > If you right click on yer wallpaper and select properties, settings, advaned
    > and then select the geforce 6600 tab, there should be a temperature settings
    > option. That should show you yer GPU temp.

    Nope! There isn't a temperature option! I have no idea of what the
    temperature of my GPU is! It's really annoying! I don't know if the BIOS
    on my GeForce card has disabled temperature monitoring?! How can I check
    that BIOS and enable it again? (if that's the case)

    A.

    John Lewis wrote:
    > You did all that before you discovered that you did not know how to
    > measure the GPU temperature ? Talk about putting the cart in front of
    > the horse............. Gee, it might have been nice to ascertain the
    > improvement (if any) for the extra $$ spent..........

    Well, I knew that I hadn't been able to see my GPU temperature, but the
    original cooler was making more noise than the new airbus plane! And the
    Zalman VF700-Cu cools A LOT better than the original coolers on most
    GeForce cards!

    > For Win XP, you can access the "Temperature Settings" window to view
    > the GPU temperature via the Control Panel --->Display --> Settings -->
    > Advanced ---> select the nVidia 6600GT Tab -->Additional Properties.

    I don't have a 6600GT! I only have a 6600 card!

    I can't access the "Additional Properties". So I guess that my card
    hasn't got temperature monitoring enabled in it's BIOS. Is there a way
    to access the BIOS of the card?

    > If you can access a bunch of other hardware parameters but no
    > "Temperature Settings", then maybe your no-reputable-name 6600GT left
    > out the temperature monitor ? A nasty habit with the less stellar
    > vendors of FX and 6xxx nVidia cards. Allows them to install cheesy
    > heat-sinks on the principle that what the customer does not know won't
    > hurt him/her, at least within the limited warranty period :-( :-(

    Well, I don't know if Point Of View is a No-Reputable-Name?

    A.

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 01:26:03 +0200, Anders <no@spamforme.com> wrote:

    >John Lewis wrote:
    >> You did all that before you discovered that you did not know how to
    >> measure the GPU temperature ? Talk about putting the cart in front of
    >> the horse............. Gee, it might have been nice to ascertain the
    >> improvement (if any) for the extra $$ spent..........
    >
    >Well, I knew that I hadn't been able to see my GPU temperature, but the
    >original cooler was making more noise than the new airbus plane! And the
    >Zalman VF700-Cu cools A LOT better than the original coolers on most
    >GeForce cards!
    >
    >> For Win XP, you can access the "Temperature Settings" window to view
    >> the GPU temperature via the Control Panel --->Display --> Settings -->
    >> Advanced ---> select the nVidia 6600GT Tab -->Additional Properties.
    >
    >I don't have a 6600GT! I only have a 6600 card!

    No matter.....

    Can you click on a 6600 tab in the Advanced Display settings ?
    If so, do you see a little green button with an arrow on it on the
    left side of window you opened? Click on it. It should bring up
    a bunch of user-accessible hardware settings.

    >I can't access the "Additional Properties". So I guess that my card
    >hasn't got temperature monitoring enabled in it's BIOS.

    It may also require a few cents-worth of extra hardware on the board
    besides BIOS firmware. In the case of the 6600, I have no idea
    whether extra external hardware is required to monitor the on-chip
    thermal diode, or whther the diode is even accessible on the
    plain-vanilla 6600.

    > Is there a way
    >to access the BIOS of the card?
    >
    >> If you can access a bunch of other hardware parameters but no
    >> "Temperature Settings", then maybe your no-reputable-name 6600GT left
    >> out the temperature monitor ? A nasty habit with the less stellar
    >> vendors of FX and 6xxx nVidia cards. Allows them to install cheesy
    >> heat-sinks on the principle that what the customer does not know won't
    >> hurt him/her, at least within the limited warranty period :-( :-(
    >
    >Well, I don't know if Point Of View is a No-Reputable-Name?

    Never heard of it before...........

    John Lewis

    >A.

    > I can't access the "Additional Properties". So I guess that my card
    > hasn't got temperature monitoring enabled in it's BIOS. Is there a way
    > to access the BIOS of the card?

    I know with the 6600GT cards, there is a way to modify the BIOS to enable
    the temperature monitor. I don't know if the same thing applies to the
    plain 6600 cards.

    If you're really interested in this, you should do more research. Playing
    with the card's BIOS is a risky endevour.

    tq96 wrote:
    > I know with the 6600GT cards, there is a way to modify the BIOS to enable
    > the temperature monitor. I don't know if the same thing applies to the
    > plain 6600 cards.

    Found it via one of the nvnews forum. A guide that is made for the 6600
    cards.

    > If you're really interested in this, you should do more research. Playing
    > with the card's BIOS is a risky endevour.

    Actually it's pretty straight forward... Just follow the guide! And
    don't alter the BIOS if the information in the guide doesn't match your
    BIOS information. Pretty simple. And it works!

    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=2379

    A.

    "Anders" <nospam@nospam.dk> wrote in message
    > tq96 wrote:
    >> I know with the 6600GT cards, there is a way to modify the BIOS to enable
    >> the temperature monitor. I don't know if the same thing applies to the
    >> plain 6600 cards.
    >
    > Found it via one of the nvnews forum. A guide that is made for the 6600
    > cards.
    >
    >> If you're really interested in this, you should do more research.
    >> Playing with the card's BIOS is a risky endevour.
    >
    > Actually it's pretty straight forward... Just follow the guide! And don't
    > alter the BIOS if the information in the guide doesn't match your BIOS
    > information. Pretty simple. And it works!
    >
    > http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=2379
    >
    > A.

    Sure is a lot of work. Or .....
    just use cool bits from guru3d.com with rivatuner.

    Gary C wrote:
    > Sure is a lot of work. Or .....

    Oh yeah. It almost took me around 2 minutes to do it.

    A.

Nvidia GPUs Temperature Graphics