Gateway M505 display issues.

Hi folks,
I have had this Gateway M505 laptop for abt a yr now..
Been working fine so far till y'day.
The display is almost totally dark, but I can see the
outlines of the icons and windows from an angle..
Nothing I have tried seems to help.. I have tried fiddling
with the backlight setting, brightness setting.
Using an external display works well...
Has anyone run into this issue before?
Any suggestions would help.
thanks!!
12 answers Last reply
More about gateway m505 display issues

    The most common cause for this is the inverter for the backlight failing.

    <qzmp8642@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    > I have had this Gateway M505 laptop for abt a yr now..
    > Been working fine so far till y'day.
    > The display is almost totally dark, but I can see the
    > outlines of the icons and windows from an angle..
    > Nothing I have tried seems to help.. I have tried fiddling
    > with the backlight setting, brightness setting.
    > Using an external display works well...
    > Has anyone run into this issue before?
    > Any suggestions would help.
    > thanks!!

    thanks for the reply.
    i will try to see if office depot folks will help me with this.. (its
    <1yr since i bought it from them)..
    would appreciate it if you could answer a couple of questions-
    are these inverters generic or does each vendor/model have some special
    board?
    how easy/tough is it to do it yourself?
    thanks a lot!

    appreciate ur input on this..
    unfortunately i am not clear on the bezel part.
    if i close the laptop, i see 4 screws on each side of the lcd display,
    and 6 rubber grommets at the top of the lcd display.
    do i need to take out these 4+4 screws, and 6 grommets to get
    to the back of the lcd display to gain access to the inverter or am
    i totally off target here.
    thanks again for ur help on this...
    regards.

    They are not generic, but at the same time they aren't proprietary meaning
    that you may find the same inverter in different models from different
    manufacturers. I have only replaced a few inverters and the location can
    vary. I replaced one on an old Dell and it was located behind the lcd panel.
    The other day I worked on an HP and the inverter was just below the lcd
    panel behind the bezel that holds the panel in the top cover. I suspect this
    may be a common location to ease replacement. Looking at the LCD for your
    model, it is probably behind that bezel. If you can't get it fixed at Office
    Depot, you can get one here: http://www.mundocorp.com/m505.html If you order
    one from there, make sure the part number is the same. To remove the bezel
    there are screws under the little rubber/plastic gromments around the LCD.
    Once those are removed you should be able to snap off the bezel and see the
    inverter board. From there it is just a matter of unplugging the old one and
    plugging in the new one.

    qzmp8642@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    > I have had this Gateway M505 laptop for abt a yr now..
    > Been working fine so far till y'day.
    > The display is almost totally dark, but I can see the
    > outlines of the icons and windows from an angle..
    > Nothing I have tried seems to help.. I have tried fiddling
    > with the backlight setting, brightness setting.
    > Using an external display works well...
    > Has anyone run into this issue before?
    > Any suggestions would help.
    > thanks!!

    qzmp,

    The same thing happened to my Gateway 5150XL a few years ago.
    It was the backlight that had failed. I shipped it back to
    Gateway (that was when they had their repair center in Texas.
    They fixed it in one day and overnighted it back to me. (I
    doubt that the service is that good now).

    Scott
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Well, I am not sure because I have not worked on that particular model.
    Generally, the plastic part that surrounds the perimeter of the LCD panel
    needs to come off. I can't really be more specific on this model since I
    have never seen one up close. I looked on Gateway's site, but can't really
    tell anything from the pictures. Sorry.

    > appreciate ur input on this..
    > unfortunately i am not clear on the bezel part.
    > if i close the laptop, i see 4 screws on each side of the lcd display,
    > and 6 rubber grommets at the top of the lcd display.
    > do i need to take out these 4+4 screws, and 6 grommets to get
    > to the back of the lcd display to gain access to the inverter or am
    > i totally off target here.
    > thanks again for ur help on this...
    > regards.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Actually it is. My dad's 400 laptop quit powering on a couple of weeks ago.
    He brought it to my shop and I fired up Gateway's online tech support chat.
    I explained that it was my dads laptop, the troubleshooting I did and that
    the power supply was good. It took about five minutes and he said it would
    need to be sent in. They tried to sell me a box and shipping for $45 but I
    just took it to UPS and shipped it there for $23. They recieved it on a
    Tuesday, shipped it on Wednsday and he got it back on Thursday. The only
    thing lame about the whole situation is that when he bought the laptop,
    Gateway paid shipping both ways if it needed to be serviced.

    "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message

    > qzmp8642@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi folks,
    >> I have had this Gateway M505 laptop for abt a yr now..
    >> Been working fine so far till y'day.
    >> The display is almost totally dark, but I can see the
    >> outlines of the icons and windows from an angle..
    >> Nothing I have tried seems to help.. I have tried fiddling
    >> with the backlight setting, brightness setting.
    >> Using an external display works well...
    >> Has anyone run into this issue before?
    >> Any suggestions would help.
    >> thanks!!
    >
    > qzmp,
    >
    > The same thing happened to my Gateway 5150XL a few years ago.
    > It was the backlight that had failed. I shipped it back to
    > Gateway (that was when they had their repair center in Texas.
    > They fixed it in one day and overnighted it back to me. (I
    > doubt that the service is that good now).
    >
    > Scott
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    This is more likely the bulb than the inverter. It can be replaced, but
    it's a fragile part and requires soldering.
    Most LCD repair shops can replace it, labor included for $100-150.

    Tweek wrote:
    > Well, I am not sure because I have not worked on that particular model.
    > Generally, the plastic part that surrounds the perimeter of the LCD panel
    > needs to come off. I can't really be more specific on this model since I
    > have never seen one up close. I looked on Gateway's site, but can't really
    > tell anything from the pictures. Sorry.
    >

    > <qzmp8642@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>appreciate ur input on this..
    >>unfortunately i am not clear on the bezel part.
    >>if i close the laptop, i see 4 screws on each side of the lcd display,
    >>and 6 rubber grommets at the top of the lcd display.
    >>do i need to take out these 4+4 screws, and 6 grommets to get
    >>to the back of the lcd display to gain access to the inverter or am
    >>i totally off target here.
    >>thanks again for ur help on this...
    >>regards.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    thanks for your reply.
    how would i go about determining which it is..

    ps: just called gateway and they said that i only have
    warranty on parts and not service and that it could
    be upto $299 for service :o
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Just curious Ed, but how would one tell the difference between a failed
    inverter or a failed bulb? Every time I have seen a backlight out, replacing
    the inverter has fixed it. To be honest, I didn't even know the backlight
    WAS a bulb. For my own curiosity, where is the bulb usually located and what
    does it look like?

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > This is more likely the bulb than the inverter. It can be replaced, but
    > it's a fragile part and requires soldering.
    > Most LCD repair shops can replace it, labor included for $100-150.
    >

    > Tweek wrote:
    >> Well, I am not sure because I have not worked on that particular model.
    >> Generally, the plastic part that surrounds the perimeter of the LCD panel
    >> needs to come off. I can't really be more specific on this model since I
    >> have never seen one up close. I looked on Gateway's site, but can't
    >> really tell anything from the pictures. Sorry.
    >>

    >> <qzmp8642@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>appreciate ur input on this..
    >>>unfortunately i am not clear on the bezel part.
    >>>if i close the laptop, i see 4 screws on each side of the lcd display,
    >>>and 6 rubber grommets at the top of the lcd display.
    >>>do i need to take out these 4+4 screws, and 6 grommets to get
    >>>to the back of the lcd display to gain access to the inverter or am
    >>>i totally off target here.
    >>>thanks again for ur help on this...
    >>>regards.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    The bulb is a very thin fluorescent tube inside the display - it usually
    runs the width of the panel and is a couple of mm in diameter.

    Tweek wrote:
    > Just curious Ed, but how would one tell the difference between a failed
    > inverter or a failed bulb? Every time I have seen a backlight out, replacing
    > the inverter has fixed it. To be honest, I didn't even know the backlight
    > WAS a bulb. For my own curiosity, where is the bulb usually located and what
    > does it look like?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    got the laptop from gateway support today.. they fixed and
    sent it back same day. really impressive!!
    they described the failure "no backlight" and
    the fix "replace defective assembly"..
    parts used "inverter borad 15.4" ambit".
    thanks for all the posts..
    appreciate it...

Gateway Computers Displays