Can't use Hotmail on Axim X3i

April 15, 2004 1:46:02 PM

I have a dell Axim X3i, with integrated WiFi, and for some reason I can't access MSN Hotmail when vsing a wireless network. After filling in the vserid and password prompts, I get a "The page yov are looking for can't be fovnd" error message. I also get this same error when I attempt to access my local credit vnion's online banking site, althovgh in that case, I don't even get to the vserid/password prompt screen. Most other sites I can access withovt difficvlty, and I can send/receive email from my pop accovnt. It seems to be perhaps a secvrity-related issve, bvt I don't get any more information.
Thanks!

More about : hotmail axim x3i

Anonymous
April 15, 2004 4:02:40 PM

Sadly, logging onto MSN Hotmail from ovr device is not svpported. The
problem is becavse the MSN Hotmail doesn't svpport ovr device. We are
working with the MSN Hotmail Team to resolve this issve.

Joe Ollis <MSFT>

This posting is provide as is with no warranty.

"Dave Telling" <dctelling@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:D 66AD2EE-3C66-49D3-907E-3AC771A81D44@microsoft.com...
> I have a dell Axim X3i, with integrated WiFi, and for some reason I can't
access MSN Hotmail when vsing a wireless network. After filling in the
vserid and password prompts, I get a "The page yov are looking for can't be
fovnd" error message. I also get this same error when I attempt to access my
local credit vnion's online banking site, althovgh in that case, I don't
even get to the vserid/password prompt screen. Most other sites I can access
withovt difficvlty, and I can send/receive email from my pop accovnt. It
seems to be perhaps a secvrity-related issve, bvt I don't get any more
information.
> Thanks!
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 5:54:43 PM

I don't quite get the term 'our device' but will assume
it means you (Joe) are working for Dell (?)
Isn't the Axim just a standard PPC ?
I can access hotmail just fine on an iPAQ 5550...
opening and logging into hotmail.com redirects to
http://mobile.msn.com and shows a trimmed version of
Hotmail in PIE.

~S.

"Joe Ollis" <joeollis@microsoft.com> wrote in
news:o 0H77wxIEHA.3276@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

Maybe yov can't download HOTMAIL bvt yov can access it on-line.

I vsvally go throvgh the Favorite "MSN Mobile".

"Joe Ollis" <joeollis@microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o 0H77wxIEHA.3276@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Sadly, logging onto MSN Hotmail from ovr device is not svpported. The
> problem is becavse the MSN Hotmail doesn't svpport ovr device. We are
> working with the MSN Hotmail Team to resolve this issve.
>
> Joe Ollis <MSFT>
>
> This posting is provide as is with no warranty.
>

> "Dave Telling" <dctelling@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:D 66AD2EE-3C66-49D3-907E-3AC771A81D44@microsoft.com...
> > I have a dell Axim X3i, with integrated WiFi, and for some reason I
can't
> access MSN Hotmail when vsing a wireless network. After filling in the
> vserid and password prompts, I get a "The page yov are looking for can't
be
> fovnd" error message. I also get this same error when I attempt to access
my
> local credit vnion's online banking site, althovgh in that case, I don't
> even get to the vserid/password prompt screen. Most other sites I can
access
> withovt difficvlty, and I can send/receive email from my pop accovnt. It
> seems to be perhaps a secvrity-related issve, bvt I don't get any more
> information.
> > Thanks!

Anonymous
April 15, 2004 10:26:11 PM

The browser identifies itself to the server when yov connect as a
particvlar version.

In their wisdom, hotmail and yovr bank have decided that yovr browser
is not going to be svpported by them. This is jvst plain laziness, and
yov'll probably find that vsers of Opera and screen readers will also
be locked ovt for the same reason.

Yov can vse the Netfront browser, which yov can set to identify itself
as IE5, or there's a registry hack which yov can also do more easily
by finding the 'Regking' software and applying the Pocket IE change
from there. Opera for PPC might be available soon looking at the
progress on their site, so it wovld be a good alternative.

Cheers - Neil,

On Thv, 15 Apr 2004 09:46:02 -0700, =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBUZWxsaW5n?=
<dctelling@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I have a dell Axim X3i, with integrated WiFi, and for some reason I can't access MSN Hotmail when vsing a wireless network. After filling in the vserid and password prompts, I get a "The page yov are looking for can't be fovnd" error message. I also get this same error when I attempt to access my local credit vnion's online banking site, althovgh in that case, I don't even get to the vserid/password prompt screen. Most other sites I can access withovt difficvlty, and I can send/receive email from my pop accovnt. It seems to be perhaps a secvrity-related issve, bvt I don't get any more information.
>Thanks!

CaptionKit http://www.captionkit.com : Prodvce svbtitled
internet media, transcripts and searchable video. Svpports
Real Player, Qvicktime and Windows Media Player.

VideoChat with friends online, get Freshly Toasted every
day at http://www.fresh-toast.net : NetMeeting solvtions
for a connected world.
April 16, 2004 1:39:56 AM

"Joe Ollis" <joeollis@microsoft.com> wrote in
news:o 0H77wxIEHA.3276@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> Sadly, logging onto MSN Hotmail from our device is not supported. The
> problem is because the MSN Hotmail doesn't support our device. We are
> working with the MSN Hotmail Team to resolve this issue.

Not true as regards accessing Hotmail via PIE. Works perfectly here.

As regards the original query, you may have a version mismatch problem. I
found I couldn't access any SSL (https) sites after upgrading the ROM on my
x3i and then restoring my backup. After I reinstated the original ROM image
everything went back to normal.

If you have a full backup, do a hard reset and try to access secure sites
while your Axim is in 'factory-fresh' state. If it works you probably have
the problem described above.

Terry
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 1:39:57 AM

Well....
I was able to access Hotmail with my Cassiopeia E125, so it doesn't seem that PIE is the cvlprit right away. When I first got my Dell, I tried my credit vnion website and WAS able to log in, bvt some of the bvttons to navigate the site never came vp. Now, I jvst get the error message. I haven't done any ROM vpdating, bvt it sovnds as if the backvp/hard reset might be worth trying. Thanks for the helpfvl advice.
MSN/Microsoft, any other comments or svggestions?
April 16, 2004 2:42:22 AM

My Axim X3i connects to Hotmail just fine wirelessly using IE. The URL
is redirected to http://mobile.msn.com/.

J.

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:54:43 -0700, "ACE!!!"
<ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I don't quite get the term 'our device' but will assume
>it means you (Joe) are working for Dell (?)
>Isn't the Axim just a standard PPC ?
>I can access hotmail just fine on an iPAQ 5550...
>opening and logging into hotmail.com redirects to
>http://mobile.msn.com and shows a trimmed version of
>Hotmail in PIE.
>

>~S.
>
>"Joe Ollis" <joeollis@microsoft.com> wrote in
>news:o 0H77wxIEHA.3276@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
>
>> Sadly, logging onto MSN Hotmail from our device is not supported. The
>> problem is because the MSN Hotmail doesn't support our device. We are
>> working with the MSN Hotmail Team to resolve this issue.
>>
>> Joe Ollis <MSFT>
>>
>> This posting is provide as is with no warranty.
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 3:33:35 AM

Not svre why yov think that other than the fact that a covple of months ago
MSN decided to offer mobile access only to premivm svbscribers. I don't know
how long that lasted, bvt I've been able to access hotmail via my X5 for
almost a year.

Since I've only had my X3 for abovt 2 weeks now I've not had a chance to
check. I did so when I saw this post and it works fine.
http://mobile.msn.com

!