TV in on a GeForce 5600. How to do it?

sbs

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

I have a geforce 5600 with the latest drivers. I am trying to view my
vcr output on the computer. I can't find it as a video source in any
program or setting. I can't find it in any manual online. Of course I
lost the original manual that came with the card.

Please help.

Thanks.

"sbs" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
>I have a geforce 5600 with the latest drivers. I am trying to view my
> vcr output on the computer. I can't find it as a video source in any
> program or setting. I can't find it in any manual online. Of course I
> lost the original manual that came with the card.

Unless it's a VIVO model, it won't have video in. If it is a VIVO, then you
need to install the nVidia WDM drivers which will install the capture
drivers.

Dan

sbs

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

Great answer. I now have the ability to get the video into my computer
by either s video or composite.

NOW

What software can I use to watch the video in a window. I have Windows
Movie Maker and Pinnacle Studio 9, both of which can show me the
picture in a "capture" video window, but it can only be watched as
part of the program. I would like to just have a resizable window to
watch video in.

The WDM setup tried to install a tv tuner, but I assume that this is
for a tuner card and not for video in. Since the install did not
detect a tuner, it did not install the software.

More help would be great.

Thanks.

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:28:58 +0100, "Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk>
wrote:

>"sbs" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
>>I have a geforce 5600 with the latest drivers. I am trying to view my
>> vcr output on the computer. I can't find it as a video source in any
>> program or setting. I can't find it in any manual online. Of course I
>> lost the original manual that came with the card.
>
>Unless it's a VIVO model, it won't have video in. If it is a VIVO, then you
>need to install the nVidia WDM drivers which will install the capture
>drivers.
>
>Dan

You have to capture it before you can watch it.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

> Great answer. I now have the ability to get the video into my computer
> by either s video or composite.
>
> NOW
>
> What software can I use to watch the video in a window. I have Windows
> Movie Maker and Pinnacle Studio 9, both of which can show me the
> picture in a "capture" video window, but it can only be watched as
> part of the program. I would like to just have a resizable window to
> watch video in.
>
> The WDM setup tried to install a tv tuner, but I assume that this is
> for a tuner card and not for video in. Since the install did not
> detect a tuner, it did not install the software.
>
> More help would be great.
>
> Thanks.

sbs

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

I followed the advice of the other poster and downloaded the proper
codec for bringing the video into the computer. With Microsoft Movie
Maker, Pinnacle 9 Studio and Ulead Video Studio 9 I have the ability
to see the live feed from my VCR in a window. My question is what
program can allow me to watch my line in video in a window like what
can be done with a tv tuner card. With those programs you can watch
your video in a window while doing other things.

Thanks for the responses.

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:05:38 GMT, "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com>
wrote:

>You have to capture it before you can watch it.

sbs

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

I found what I needed. Win DVR from InterVideo.