Tecra M3 video drivers causing crashes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 28, 2005 2:30:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

My Toshiba Tecra M3 is crashing (freezing or blue screen of death) with
drivers 71.14, 71.36, and 76.44. It uses an NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600 TE
128M. When I uninstall all video drivers (or boot into safe mode), the
laptop runs fine, although of course scrolling is deadly slow and I
can't suspend or hibernate. But when I install either of the two WHQL
certified drivers from Toshiba's site, 71.44 or 71.36, I can
consistently create a crash just by running a 3D screensaver for more
than 3 minutes. The same thing happens with the 76.44 non-WHQL driver
from laptopvideo2go.com.

At this point, I'm not at all interested in great graphics performance;
I just want a stable laptop to do some work on. Is there perhaps some
setting within the driver to turn off whatever fancy features are
causing the crash?

The laptop has a 2.13 GHz Pentium M and 2 GB of RAM. It's running WinXP
SP2 with all updates and is using BIOS 1.20, the latest. And I doubt
it's a related, but here's a different problem I ran into with the VPN,
Wi-Fi, and Matlab <http://tinyurl.com/ab7rp&gt;.

a b D Laptop
a b \ Driver
April 30, 2005 12:58:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I've never owned a laptop, but don't you need chipset drivers for the laptop
mobo of some sort?