VIDEO CARD PROBLEM

I recently bought my daughter a computer game to play on my Dell
Dimension 4400 P=4 1.6g.
After installing the game, the screen goes black when I attempt to
launch it and I get the Microsoft error message. I then checked the
minimum requirements for the game and saw that it required a "3d
Hardware accelerator card - 32mb video card" I have a 16mb ATI Rage
128. My question is, do I need to buy a 32mb card that has a 3d
accelerator, or is the 3D accelerator located somewhere else, ie, in
another card or the mobo.
Any recommendations on a cheap 32mb card would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Jen Meyer wrote:
> I recently bought my daughter a computer game to play on my Dell
> Dimension 4400 P=4 1.6g.
> After installing the game, the screen goes black when I attempt to
> launch it and I get the Microsoft error message. I then checked the
> minimum requirements for the game and saw that it required a "3d
> Hardware accelerator card - 32mb video card" I have a 16mb ATI Rage
> 128. My question is, do I need to buy a 32mb card that has a 3d
> accelerator, or is the 3D accelerator located somewhere else, ie, in
> another card or the mobo.
> Any recommendations on a cheap 32mb card would be appreciated.
> Thanks in advance

what game is it ?

Jen Meyer wrote:
> I recently bought my daughter a computer game to play on my Dell
> Dimension 4400 P=4 1.6g.
> After installing the game, the screen goes black when I attempt to
> launch it and I get the Microsoft error message. I then checked the
> minimum requirements for the game and saw that it required a "3d
> Hardware accelerator card - 32mb video card" I have a 16mb ATI Rage
> 128. My question is, do I need to buy a 32mb card that has a 3d
> accelerator, or is the 3D accelerator located somewhere else, ie, in
> another card or the mobo.
> Any recommendations on a cheap 32mb card would be appreciated.
> Thanks in advance
\

The 3d hardware accelerator card is just a gfx card for all intensive
purposes these days. Way back when Adam was a cowboy you used to get 2d
cards and 3d cards but anything you buy off the shelf these days will do
both.

In saying that for a P4 1.6 I would recommend looking for a second hand
GeForce Ti4200. You can pick them up for next to nothing these days.

ps. Your Rage128 is an ATi card and you posted help in a Nvidia newsgroup
but hey, you will be converted before long.

Shek 2 Team Action. It doesn't seem all that involved, though it does
require the 32mbcard.
I do have an AGP slot

Jen,

At the Activision support site
(http://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/activision.cfg/php/enduser/home.php),
you can find the minimum requirements. They're reasonably brief, so I'll
quote them:

Minimum System Requirements

- 3D hardware accelerator card required - 100% DirectX® 9.0c-compliant 32 MB
video card and drivers*
- English version of Microsoft® Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP
- Pentium® III 800 MHz or Athlon® 800 MHz or higher processor
- 128 MB of RAM
- 857 MB of uncompressed hard disk space (plus 300 MB for the Windows® swap
file and 1 MB free for saved games)
- A 100% Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP-compatible computer system including:
- DirectX® 9.0c (Included)
- 100% DirectX® 9.0c-compliant true 16-bit sound card and drivers
- 100% Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP- compatible mouse, keyboard and drivers
- 100% Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP- compatible USB controllers for 2-4 players
- 100% Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP- compatible quad speed CD-ROM drive (600K/sec
sustained transfer rate) and drivers

*Supported Chipsets for Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP
- nVidia GeForce(tm) 2 MX and higher chipsets
- ATI Radeon(tm) 7500 and higher chipsets

*Important Note: Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipsets listed here may
not be compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilized by Shrek 2(tm):
Team Action. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX®
9.0c compatibility. This product does not support Microsoft® Windows® 95 or
NT.

I believe that the Geforce 2MX and ATI Radeon 7500 cards don't support the
DirectX 9.0c features in hardware, but they are new enough to have driver
support.

If you want to buy a new graphics card, I suggest checking out
www.newegg.com. I'd recommend a card based on the nVidia Geforce FX5200
(least expensive model: $44US + $3 shipping). It's excessive for your
purposes (128 MB of memory), but it costs $10US more than the weakest cards
that meet the game's requirements. I'd avoid retailers like Circuit City,
unless you feel that the support that they offer is worth their much higher
prices.

I expect that any recent AGP card that is for a 1.5V slot would be
compatible with your system.

I'd second the idea of a used nVidia Geforce 4 si 4200, if you can find one.

Good luck.

Bob Knowlden

"Jen Meyer" <jen19851@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Shek 2 Team Action. It doesn't seem all that involved, though it does
> require the 32mbcard.
> I do have an AGP slot

Jen, you have several choices here but the limiting factor is you
need a Direct X 9 capable video card. 9.0b to be specific, it would run
on some direct x7 and 8 cards, but if I were you I would go ahead and
get a simple GeForce FX5200 or better, or a Radeon 9500 or better. The
FX5200 are a dime a dozen, and this game would probably run fine on
that. There are better obviously, and since you have ATI anyway it may
be best to stick with them just so the drivers don't completely
conflict. But to make the game look it's best I would go Radeon 9500,
9550, 9600, 9700, 9800. I have seen the 9550 at Circut City and best
Buy, but if you want to save money get a 9500,9600, 9700 or 9800 from a
reputable ebay seller. Or try www.newegg.com for some good deals. All of
these cards are 64 MB or more, 32 are old school for sure. Don't think
MB, think Direct X compliance.

Jen Meyer wrote:
> Shek 2 Team Action. It doesn't seem all that involved, though it does
> require the 32mbcard.
> I do have an AGP slot

the 9550 I saw at Circut City was maybe $79, yes more than you
would pay on line but they do have them for someone that just wants a
fast solution. I don't recommend the Ti4200 anymore, does not support
the more modern pixel shaders.