eMachines CD-RW/DVD-ROM problem

I have an eMachines T2862 with an LG (HL-DT-ST) GCC-4481B CD-RW/DVD-ROM
drivethat plays CDs and DVDs fine, but won't burn CDs. For instance,
when I use Roxio's Drag-to-Disc, the selected files are gathered to burn
on the blank CD (Sony High Speed CD-R), the CD writer blinks for awhile,
and the disc even gets labeled "Roxio2" or some such name. However, it
then stops, and I get the message "Media status failure for drive D:\:
write failure while acessing media." I've gotten similar messages using
Roxio's Creator Classic or Disk Copy, or even Windows XP CD copying.
Any suggestions on what's wrong and needs correction? I've only had
this machine since last December. Thanks, John Hale

John,

Just in case the Roxio software is incompatible with the LG drive, download and
try CDBurnerXPPro, a free CD and DVD burning program. Roxio is one of the CD
burning packages that maintains a table (in the Windows registry) of the devices
it supports. If the LG device is not in the table, Roxio won't burn.

You might also see if there are any updates from Roxio for the version of
software you have. Also, try the two-panel drag-and-drop menu interface of the
ROxio software. Finally, check and double check the cable connections and the
jumper settings on the drive(s) attached to the drive cable.

If all else fails, and Gateway won't replace under warranty, buy another. They
are cheap (est. $30 to $35) these days with combo DVD-RW/CD-RW drives taking
over... Ben Myers

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 04:08:21 GMT, John Hale <nospamjshale3301@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>I have an eMachines T2862 with an LG (HL-DT-ST) GCC-4481B CD-RW/DVD-ROM
>drivethat plays CDs and DVDs fine, but won't burn CDs. For instance,
>when I use Roxio's Drag-to-Disc, the selected files are gathered to burn
>on the blank CD (Sony High Speed CD-R), the CD writer blinks for awhile,
>and the disc even gets labeled "Roxio2" or some such name. However, it
>then stops, and I get the message "Media status failure for drive D:\:
>write failure while acessing media." I've gotten similar messages using
>Roxio's Creator Classic or Disk Copy, or even Windows XP CD copying.
>Any suggestions on what's wrong and needs correction? I've only had
>this machine since last December. Thanks, John Hale

Thanks, I'll give those ideas a try. I have an HP CD burner I scavenged
out of my old computer, I might install it and just use the LG as a
reader. The HP is slower than the LG, however, and it's also nuts to
have a 6-mo old burner not work!

Ben Myers wrote:
> John,
>
> Just in case the Roxio software is incompatible with the LG drive, download and
> try CDBurnerXPPro, a free CD and DVD burning program. Roxio is one of the CD
> burning packages that maintains a table (in the Windows registry) of the devices
> it supports. If the LG device is not in the table, Roxio won't burn.
>
> You might also see if there are any updates from Roxio for the version of
> software you have. Also, try the two-panel drag-and-drop menu interface of the
> ROxio software. Finally, check and double check the cable connections and the
> jumper settings on the drive(s) attached to the drive cable.
>
> If all else fails, and Gateway won't replace under warranty, buy another. They
> are cheap (est. $30 to $35) these days with combo DVD-RW/CD-RW drives taking
> over... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 04:08:21 GMT, John Hale <nospamjshale3301@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>

>>I have an eMachines T2862 with an LG (HL-DT-ST) GCC-4481B CD-RW/DVD-ROM
>>drivethat plays CDs and DVDs fine, but won't burn CDs. For instance,
>>when I use Roxio's Drag-to-Disc, the selected files are gathered to burn
>>on the blank CD (Sony High Speed CD-R), the CD writer blinks for awhile,
>>and the disc even gets labeled "Roxio2" or some such name. However, it
>>then stops, and I get the message "Media status failure for drive D:\:
>>write failure while acessing media." I've gotten similar messages using
>>Roxio's Creator Classic or Disk Copy, or even Windows XP CD copying.
>>Any suggestions on what's wrong and needs correction? I've only had
>>this machine since last December. Thanks, John Hale

wacko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I got a T2865 with a NEC dvdrw did the same thing.
It read the dvd's ok but nothing else.
Bought a new one put it in and all is fine now.