eMachines CD-RW/DVD-ROM problem

I have an eMachines T2862 with an LG (HL-DT-ST) GCC-4481B CD-RW/DVD-ROM
drivethat plays CDs and DVDs fine, but won't burn CDs. For instance,
when I use Roxio's Drag-to-Disc, the selected files are gathered to burn
on the blank CD (Sony High Speed CD-R), the CD writer blinks for awhile,
and the disc even gets labeled "Roxio2" or some such name. However, it
then stops, and I get the message "Media status failure for drive D:\:
write failure while acessing media." I've gotten similar messages using
Roxio's Creator Classic or Disk Copy, or even Windows XP CD copying.
Any suggestions on what's wrong and needs correction? I've only had
this machine since last December. Thanks, John Hale
3 answers Last reply
More about emachines problem

    John,

    Just in case the Roxio software is incompatible with the LG drive, download and
    try CDBurnerXPPro, a free CD and DVD burning program. Roxio is one of the CD
    burning packages that maintains a table (in the Windows registry) of the devices
    it supports. If the LG device is not in the table, Roxio won't burn.

    You might also see if there are any updates from Roxio for the version of
    software you have. Also, try the two-panel drag-and-drop menu interface of the
    ROxio software. Finally, check and double check the cable connections and the
    jumper settings on the drive(s) attached to the drive cable.

    If all else fails, and Gateway won't replace under warranty, buy another. They
    are cheap (est. $30 to $35) these days with combo DVD-RW/CD-RW drives taking
    over... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 04:08:21 GMT, John Hale <nospamjshale3301@sbcglobal.net>
    wrote:

    >I have an eMachines T2862 with an LG (HL-DT-ST) GCC-4481B CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    >drivethat plays CDs and DVDs fine, but won't burn CDs. For instance,
    >when I use Roxio's Drag-to-Disc, the selected files are gathered to burn
    >on the blank CD (Sony High Speed CD-R), the CD writer blinks for awhile,
    >and the disc even gets labeled "Roxio2" or some such name. However, it
    >then stops, and I get the message "Media status failure for drive D:\:
    >write failure while acessing media." I've gotten similar messages using
    >Roxio's Creator Classic or Disk Copy, or even Windows XP CD copying.
    >Any suggestions on what's wrong and needs correction? I've only had
    >this machine since last December. Thanks, John Hale

    Thanks, I'll give those ideas a try. I have an HP CD burner I scavenged
    out of my old computer, I might install it and just use the LG as a
    reader. The HP is slower than the LG, however, and it's also nuts to
    have a 6-mo old burner not work!

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > John,
    >
    > Just in case the Roxio software is incompatible with the LG drive, download and
    > try CDBurnerXPPro, a free CD and DVD burning program. Roxio is one of the CD
    > burning packages that maintains a table (in the Windows registry) of the devices
    > it supports. If the LG device is not in the table, Roxio won't burn.
    >
    > You might also see if there are any updates from Roxio for the version of
    > software you have. Also, try the two-panel drag-and-drop menu interface of the
    > ROxio software. Finally, check and double check the cable connections and the
    > jumper settings on the drive(s) attached to the drive cable.
    >
    > If all else fails, and Gateway won't replace under warranty, buy another. They
    > are cheap (est. $30 to $35) these days with combo DVD-RW/CD-RW drives taking
    > over... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 04:08:21 GMT, John Hale <nospamjshale3301@sbcglobal.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I have an eMachines T2862 with an LG (HL-DT-ST) GCC-4481B CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    >>drivethat plays CDs and DVDs fine, but won't burn CDs. For instance,
    >>when I use Roxio's Drag-to-Disc, the selected files are gathered to burn
    >>on the blank CD (Sony High Speed CD-R), the CD writer blinks for awhile,
    >>and the disc even gets labeled "Roxio2" or some such name. However, it
    >>then stops, and I get the message "Media status failure for drive D:\:
    >>write failure while acessing media." I've gotten similar messages using
    >>Roxio's Creator Classic or Disk Copy, or even Windows XP CD copying.
    >>Any suggestions on what's wrong and needs correction? I've only had
    >>this machine since last December. Thanks, John Hale

    I got a T2865 with a NEC dvdrw did the same thing.
    It read the dvd's ok but nothing else.
    Bought a new one put it in and all is fine now.

    > John,
    >
    > Just in case the Roxio software is incompatible with the LG drive,
    download and
    > try CDBurnerXPPro, a free CD and DVD burning program. Roxio is one of the
    CD
    > burning packages that maintains a table (in the Windows registry) of the
    devices
    > it supports. If the LG device is not in the table, Roxio won't burn.
    >
    > You might also see if there are any updates from Roxio for the version of
    > software you have. Also, try the two-panel drag-and-drop menu interface
    of the
    > ROxio software. Finally, check and double check the cable connections and
    the
    > jumper settings on the drive(s) attached to the drive cable.
    >
    > If all else fails, and Gateway won't replace under warranty, buy another.
    They
    > are cheap (est. $30 to $35) these days with combo DVD-RW/CD-RW drives
    taking
    > over... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 04:08:21 GMT, John Hale
    <nospamjshale3301@sbcglobal.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have an eMachines T2862 with an LG (HL-DT-ST) GCC-4481B CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    > >drivethat plays CDs and DVDs fine, but won't burn CDs. For instance,
    > >when I use Roxio's Drag-to-Disc, the selected files are gathered to burn
    > >on the blank CD (Sony High Speed CD-R), the CD writer blinks for awhile,
    > >and the disc even gets labeled "Roxio2" or some such name. However, it
    > >then stops, and I get the message "Media status failure for drive D:\:
    > >write failure while acessing media." I've gotten similar messages using
    > >Roxio's Creator Classic or Disk Copy, or even Windows XP CD copying.
    > >Any suggestions on what's wrong and needs correction? I've only had
    > >this machine since last December. Thanks, John Hale

Gateway CD-Rom eMachines DVD Drives Computers