Will a 3000 Sempron work with a 5950 Ultra?

As above, will a 3000 Sempron be able to kick along a XFX 5950 Ultra.

Currently I am running a 5700 with a 1700+ XP chip.

Any news on if I will see a major improvement, or any improvement.

Cheers

In message <WMuee.15272$l37.3234@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>, Warrior Princess
<why@why.com> writes
>As above, will a 3000 Sempron be able to kick along a XFX 5950 Ultra.
>
>Currently I am running a 5700 with a 1700+ XP chip.
>
>Any news on if I will see a major improvement, or any improvement.
>
>Cheers

Should be a pretty good improvement, depends on your board and memory
too - all bits of a PC can cause bottlenecks for others and we can
upgrade one bit after another and never be satisfied! If you have an
option to get one of the Athlon XP Barton core chips at the right price,
I'd personally say go for it. You can get an XP3000+ or even an XP3200+
(though the 3000 often clocks up to 3200 speeds) for very sensible
money, and they run very nicely and have a little more oomph, though it
obviously depends how much you're paying for the Sempron. I'm guessing
your budget keeps you a couple of steps away from current wave of
technology and a 6800 Ultra - but don't let people knock you for it -
your money your priorities your choice!

The 5950 Ultra is a good card, but make sure your PSU can handle its
power requirements though. Other posters on here will have more detailed
knowledge than I have on that subject.

Good luck, & hope you find your answers.

Neil.

--
Neil J Bundy

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Dan" <d.d.com> wrote in message
> Go with the sempron. They overclock like made and will beat any barton XP
> chip!

An interesting statement, considering the current Sempron 3000+ IS a Barton
chip with the identical core and multiplier as the Barton 2800+. You can buy
the Barton 2800+ for $10-15 less than the identical Sempron 3000+. Same
core, same cache, same multiplier. The socket 754 3000+ is a better
overclocker, but you're flogging a dead horse. Socket 754 is out.

mav

A 6600 GT is cheaper (where I live anyway) than the 5950 Ultra. I'd upgrade
the 5700 to a 6600GT before the 5950 anyday.