Recommendation for Screen refresh rate

Last response: in Computer Brands
June 26, 2005 7:54:59 PM

I have a Gateway CRT monitor, 18 inches viewable, model VX900T. It is
plugged into a Dell 2400 desktop computer running XP Home SP2.

Is there a recommended Screen refresh rate for this particular setup?
Previously, by default it was set at 60 Hertz. But yesterday I did a format
of my hard drive, reinstalled everything and now it is set at 85 Hertz.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 12:23:30 AM

Refresh rate choice is mostly a function of what looks best to the person
viewing the monitor. In general, people can see some flicker at lower rates
(under 60-65 Hz). Flicker is generally not noticeable at 70 Hz and higher.
As long as your OS has proper drivers for both the video card and monitor,
setting it to the highest available refresh rate generally produces the best
results. If you're into gaming, there's more to consider.

"History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message
> I have a Gateway CRT monitor, 18 inches viewable, model VX900T. It is
> plugged into a Dell 2400 desktop computer running XP Home SP2.
>
> Is there a recommended Screen refresh rate for this particular setup?
> Previously, by default it was set at 60 Hertz. But yesterday I did a
> format of my hard drive, reinstalled everything and now it is set at 85
> Hertz.

June 27, 2005 2:40:29 AM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:54:59 -0400, "History Fan"
<Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote:

> Is there a recommended Screen refresh rate for this particular setup?

I ran SiSoftware Sandra Pro the other day and let it offer suggestion
for performance enhancement configurations on all systems. One
suggestion it made was to change the refresh rate of my monitor setup
from 60 to 75 Hz. Why 75, I do not know but I changed it. Couldn't
see anything happening differently but it makes SiSoftware Sandra Pro
happy and as long as SiSoftware Sandra Pro is happy, everyone is
happy.

Regards,
Ed
June 27, 2005 7:32:11 AM

The faster refresh rates are easier on the eyes. The faster the better as long
as the rate is within the specs of the monitor. Easiest way to verify this
assertion is to drink a lot of beer, sleep it off, wake up with a hangover, and
then try different refresh rates... Ben Myers

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:40:29 -0400, Ed <fake@fake.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:54:59 -0400, "History Fan"
><Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a recommended Screen refresh rate for this particular setup?
>
>I ran SiSoftware Sandra Pro the other day and let it offer suggestion
>for performance enhancement configurations on all systems. One
>suggestion it made was to change the refresh rate of my monitor setup
>from 60 to 75 Hz. Why 75, I do not know but I changed it. Couldn't
>see anything happening differently but it makes SiSoftware Sandra Pro
>happy and as long as SiSoftware Sandra Pro is happy, everyone is
>happy.
>
>Regards,
>Ed
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 8:49:18 PM

85 Hertz is probably optimal for your monitor. Usually with a CRT monitor
the fastest refresh rate that it will accept is optimal.

If you can't detect any flickering and the monitor isn't whinning, then
you're fine.

"History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message
> Is there a recommended Screen refresh rate for this particular setup?
> Previously, by default it was set at 60 Hertz. But yesterday I did a
> format of my hard drive, reinstalled everything and now it is set at 85
> Hertz.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 5:08:48 PM

One old school check to see if there was noticeable flicker was to turn
your head so that you could only see the screen in your peripheral vision.
If you saw flicker, you needed to up the refresh rate. The refresh rate can
have a negative impact on the users eyes as they try to adjust to the
light-dark switching that is flicker. It can cause eye strain and other
issues without the user even noticing the flicker. More common in older
monitors and has been addressed by OSHA standards as well as the monitor
manufacturers (one of the little blurbs in the specs). At a higher rate you
eyes don't catch the change and so do not try to compensate by adjusting
their focus and appeture. Try tapping your finger 60 times per second and
you'll see how quickly that sort of thing can tire you out.

KC

"dig154" <dig154@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 85 Hertz is probably optimal for your monitor. Usually with a CRT monitor
> the fastest refresh rate that it will accept is optimal.
>
> If you can't detect any flickering and the monitor isn't whinning, then
> you're fine.
>
> "History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a recommended Screen refresh rate for this particular setup?
> > Previously, by default it was set at 60 Hertz. But yesterday I did a
> > format of my hard drive, reinstalled everything and now it is set at 85
> > Hertz.

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 5:11:20 AM

There's a handy Windows utility called Flimmer.exe that measures refresh
rate. You can download it here (very small, 12KB):
ftp://ftp.wiwi.uni-marburg.de/­pub/wimm/tools/flimmer.exe

"Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote in message
> One old school check to see if there was noticeable flicker was to turn
> your head so that you could only see the screen in your peripheral vision.
> If you saw flicker, you needed to up the refresh rate. The refresh rate
> can
> have a negative impact on the users eyes as they try to adjust to the
> light-dark switching that is flicker. It can cause eye strain and other
> issues without the user even noticing the flicker. More common in older
> monitors and has been addressed by OSHA standards as well as the monitor
> manufacturers (one of the little blurbs in the specs). At a higher rate
> you
> eyes don't catch the change and so do not try to compensate by adjusting
> their focus and appeture. Try tapping your finger 60 times per second and
> you'll see how quickly that sort of thing can tire you out.
>
> KC
>
> "dig154" <dig154@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> 85 Hertz is probably optimal for your monitor. Usually with a CRT monitor
>> the fastest refresh rate that it will accept is optimal.
>>
>> If you can't detect any flickering and the monitor isn't whinning, then
>> you're fine.
>>
>> "History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there a recommended Screen refresh rate for this particular setup?
>> > Previously, by default it was set at 60 Hertz. But yesterday I did a
>> > format of my hard drive, reinstalled everything and now it is set at 85
>> > Hertz.

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 5:11:21 AM

The link didn't work, but if you cut and paste it in your browser it should.
If not here is a link to the directory where you can see there are many
other useful tools as well.

"mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
> There's a handy Windows utility called Flimmer.exe that measures refresh
> rate. You can download it here (very small, 12KB):
> ftp://ftp.wiwi.uni-marburg.de/­pub/wimm/tools/flimmer.exe
>

> "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote in message
> > One old school check to see if there was noticeable flicker was to
turn
> > your head so that you could only see the screen in your peripheral
vision.
> > If you saw flicker, you needed to up the refresh rate. The refresh rate
> > can
> > have a negative impact on the users eyes as they try to adjust to the
> > light-dark switching that is flicker. It can cause eye strain and other
> > issues without the user even noticing the flicker. More common in older
> > monitors and has been addressed by OSHA standards as well as the monitor
> > manufacturers (one of the little blurbs in the specs). At a higher rate
> > you
> > eyes don't catch the change and so do not try to compensate by adjusting
> > their focus and appeture. Try tapping your finger 60 times per second
and
> > you'll see how quickly that sort of thing can tire you out.
> >
> > KC
> >
> > "dig154" <dig154@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> 85 Hertz is probably optimal for your monitor. Usually with a CRT
monitor
> >> the fastest refresh rate that it will accept is optimal.
> >>
> >> If you can't detect any flickering and the monitor isn't whinning, then
> >> you're fine.
> >>
> >> "History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 4:58:42 PM

flimmer is a cool little program. I ended up downloading it with filezilla to
overcome the apparently incorrect original URL... Ben Myers

On , "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote:

>Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:55:27 -0500
>
>The link didn't work, but if you cut and paste it in your browser it should.
>If not here is a link to the directory where you can see there are many
>other useful tools as well.
>
>ftp://ftp.wiwi.uni-marburg.de/pub/wimm/tools/
>
>KC
>
>"mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
>> There's a handy Windows utility called Flimmer.exe that measures refresh
>> rate. You can download it here (very small, 12KB):
>> ftp://ftp.wiwi.uni-marburg.de/­pub/wimm/tools/flimmer.exe
>>

>> "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote in message
>> > One old school check to see if there was noticeable flicker was to
>turn
>> > your head so that you could only see the screen in your peripheral
>vision.
>> > If you saw flicker, you needed to up the refresh rate. The refresh rate
>> > can
>> > have a negative impact on the users eyes as they try to adjust to the
>> > light-dark switching that is flicker. It can cause eye strain and other
>> > issues without the user even noticing the flicker. More common in older
>> > monitors and has been addressed by OSHA standards as well as the monitor
>> > manufacturers (one of the little blurbs in the specs). At a higher rate
>> > you
>> > eyes don't catch the change and so do not try to compensate by adjusting
>> > their focus and appeture. Try tapping your finger 60 times per second
>and
>> > you'll see how quickly that sort of thing can tire you out.
>> >
>> > KC
>> >
>> > "dig154" <dig154@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>monitor

>85

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 7:25:49 AM

That is odd. Apparently the URL that gets loaded by the browser by clicking
on the link is not the one as shown. I'm using XP Pro and the link at the
lower left (IE) shows .../-pub/ ... instead of /pub/ when I pass the cursor
over it. Let's see if this works:

!