Recommendation for Screen refresh rate

I have a Gateway CRT monitor, 18 inches viewable, model VX900T. It is
plugged into a Dell 2400 desktop computer running XP Home SP2.

Is there a recommended Screen refresh rate for this particular setup?
Previously, by default it was set at 60 Hertz. But yesterday I did a format
of my hard drive, reinstalled everything and now it is set at 85 Hertz.
9 answers Last reply
More about recommendation screen refresh rate

    Refresh rate choice is mostly a function of what looks best to the person
    viewing the monitor. In general, people can see some flicker at lower rates
    (under 60-65 Hz). Flicker is generally not noticeable at 70 Hz and higher.
    As long as your OS has proper drivers for both the video card and monitor,
    setting it to the highest available refresh rate generally produces the best
    results. If you're into gaming, there's more to consider.

    "History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Gateway CRT monitor, 18 inches viewable, model VX900T. It is
    > plugged into a Dell 2400 desktop computer running XP Home SP2.
    >
    > Is there a recommended Screen refresh rate for this particular setup?
    > Previously, by default it was set at 60 Hertz. But yesterday I did a
    > format of my hard drive, reinstalled everything and now it is set at 85
    > Hertz.

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:54:59 -0400, "History Fan"
    <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote:

    > Is there a recommended Screen refresh rate for this particular setup?

    I ran SiSoftware Sandra Pro the other day and let it offer suggestion
    for performance enhancement configurations on all systems. One
    suggestion it made was to change the refresh rate of my monitor setup
    from 60 to 75 Hz. Why 75, I do not know but I changed it. Couldn't
    see anything happening differently but it makes SiSoftware Sandra Pro
    happy and as long as SiSoftware Sandra Pro is happy, everyone is
    happy.

    Regards,
    Ed

    The faster refresh rates are easier on the eyes. The faster the better as long
    as the rate is within the specs of the monitor. Easiest way to verify this
    assertion is to drink a lot of beer, sleep it off, wake up with a hangover, and
    then try different refresh rates... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:40:29 -0400, Ed <fake@fake.com> wrote:

    >On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:54:59 -0400, "History Fan"
    ><Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a recommended Screen refresh rate for this particular setup?
    >
    >I ran SiSoftware Sandra Pro the other day and let it offer suggestion
    >for performance enhancement configurations on all systems. One
    >suggestion it made was to change the refresh rate of my monitor setup
    >from 60 to 75 Hz. Why 75, I do not know but I changed it. Couldn't
    >see anything happening differently but it makes SiSoftware Sandra Pro
    >happy and as long as SiSoftware Sandra Pro is happy, everyone is
    >happy.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Ed

    85 Hertz is probably optimal for your monitor. Usually with a CRT monitor
    the fastest refresh rate that it will accept is optimal.

    If you can't detect any flickering and the monitor isn't whinning, then
    you're fine.

    "History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a recommended Screen refresh rate for this particular setup?
    > Previously, by default it was set at 60 Hertz. But yesterday I did a
    > format of my hard drive, reinstalled everything and now it is set at 85
    > Hertz.

    One old school check to see if there was noticeable flicker was to turn
    your head so that you could only see the screen in your peripheral vision.
    If you saw flicker, you needed to up the refresh rate. The refresh rate can
    have a negative impact on the users eyes as they try to adjust to the
    light-dark switching that is flicker. It can cause eye strain and other
    issues without the user even noticing the flicker. More common in older
    monitors and has been addressed by OSHA standards as well as the monitor
    manufacturers (one of the little blurbs in the specs). At a higher rate you
    eyes don't catch the change and so do not try to compensate by adjusting
    their focus and appeture. Try tapping your finger 60 times per second and
    you'll see how quickly that sort of thing can tire you out.

    KC

    "dig154" <dig154@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > 85 Hertz is probably optimal for your monitor. Usually with a CRT monitor
    > the fastest refresh rate that it will accept is optimal.
    >
    > If you can't detect any flickering and the monitor isn't whinning, then
    > you're fine.
    >
    > "History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there a recommended Screen refresh rate for this particular setup?
    > > Previously, by default it was set at 60 Hertz. But yesterday I did a
    > > format of my hard drive, reinstalled everything and now it is set at 85
    > > Hertz.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    There's a handy Windows utility called Flimmer.exe that measures refresh
    rate. You can download it here (very small, 12KB):
    ftp://ftp.wiwi.uni-marburg.de/­pub/wimm/tools/flimmer.exe

    "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote in message
    > One old school check to see if there was noticeable flicker was to turn
    > your head so that you could only see the screen in your peripheral vision.
    > If you saw flicker, you needed to up the refresh rate. The refresh rate
    > can
    > have a negative impact on the users eyes as they try to adjust to the
    > light-dark switching that is flicker. It can cause eye strain and other
    > issues without the user even noticing the flicker. More common in older
    > monitors and has been addressed by OSHA standards as well as the monitor
    > manufacturers (one of the little blurbs in the specs). At a higher rate
    > you
    > eyes don't catch the change and so do not try to compensate by adjusting
    > their focus and appeture. Try tapping your finger 60 times per second and
    > you'll see how quickly that sort of thing can tire you out.
    >
    > KC
    >
    > "dig154" <dig154@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> 85 Hertz is probably optimal for your monitor. Usually with a CRT monitor
    >> the fastest refresh rate that it will accept is optimal.
    >>
    >> If you can't detect any flickering and the monitor isn't whinning, then
    >> you're fine.
    >>
    >> "History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message
    >> > Is there a recommended Screen refresh rate for this particular setup?
    >> > Previously, by default it was set at 60 Hertz. But yesterday I did a
    >> > format of my hard drive, reinstalled everything and now it is set at 85
    >> > Hertz.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    The link didn't work, but if you cut and paste it in your browser it should.
    If not here is a link to the directory where you can see there are many
    other useful tools as well.

    "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
    > There's a handy Windows utility called Flimmer.exe that measures refresh
    > rate. You can download it here (very small, 12KB):
    > ftp://ftp.wiwi.uni-marburg.de/­pub/wimm/tools/flimmer.exe
    >

    > "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote in message
    > > One old school check to see if there was noticeable flicker was to
    turn
    > > your head so that you could only see the screen in your peripheral
    vision.
    > > If you saw flicker, you needed to up the refresh rate. The refresh rate
    > > can
    > > have a negative impact on the users eyes as they try to adjust to the
    > > light-dark switching that is flicker. It can cause eye strain and other
    > > issues without the user even noticing the flicker. More common in older
    > > monitors and has been addressed by OSHA standards as well as the monitor
    > > manufacturers (one of the little blurbs in the specs). At a higher rate
    > > you
    > > eyes don't catch the change and so do not try to compensate by adjusting
    > > their focus and appeture. Try tapping your finger 60 times per second
    and
    > > you'll see how quickly that sort of thing can tire you out.
    > >
    > > KC
    > >
    > > "dig154" <dig154@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> 85 Hertz is probably optimal for your monitor. Usually with a CRT
    monitor
    > >> the fastest refresh rate that it will accept is optimal.
    > >>
    > >> If you can't detect any flickering and the monitor isn't whinning, then
    > >> you're fine.
    > >>
    > >> "History Fan" <Unknown1@unknown1.com> wrote in message

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    flimmer is a cool little program. I ended up downloading it with filezilla to
    overcome the apparently incorrect original URL... Ben Myers

    On , "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote:

    >Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:55:27 -0500
    >
    >The link didn't work, but if you cut and paste it in your browser it should.
    >If not here is a link to the directory where you can see there are many
    >other useful tools as well.
    >
    >ftp://ftp.wiwi.uni-marburg.de/pub/wimm/tools/
    >
    >KC
    >
    >"mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
    >> There's a handy Windows utility called Flimmer.exe that measures refresh
    >> rate. You can download it here (very small, 12KB):
    >> ftp://ftp.wiwi.uni-marburg.de/­pub/wimm/tools/flimmer.exe
    >>

    >> "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote in message
    >> > One old school check to see if there was noticeable flicker was to
    >turn
    >> > your head so that you could only see the screen in your peripheral
    >vision.
    >> > If you saw flicker, you needed to up the refresh rate. The refresh rate
    >> > can
    >> > have a negative impact on the users eyes as they try to adjust to the
    >> > light-dark switching that is flicker. It can cause eye strain and other
    >> > issues without the user even noticing the flicker. More common in older
    >> > monitors and has been addressed by OSHA standards as well as the monitor
    >> > manufacturers (one of the little blurbs in the specs). At a higher rate
    >> > you
    >> > eyes don't catch the change and so do not try to compensate by adjusting
    >> > their focus and appeture. Try tapping your finger 60 times per second
    >and
    >> > you'll see how quickly that sort of thing can tire you out.
    >> >
    >> > KC
    >> >
    >> > "dig154" <dig154@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >monitor

    >85

  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    That is odd. Apparently the URL that gets loaded by the browser by clicking
    on the link is not the one as shown. I'm using XP Pro and the link at the
    lower left (IE) shows .../-pub/ ... instead of /pub/ when I pass the cursor
    over it. Let's see if this works:

    > The link didn't work, but if you cut and paste it in your browser it
    > should.
    > If not here is a link to the directory where you can see there are many
    > other useful tools as well.
    >
    > ftp://ftp.wiwi.uni-marburg.de/pub/wimm/tools/
    >
    > KC
    >
    > "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
    >> There's a handy Windows utility called Flimmer.exe that measures refresh
    >> rate. You can download it here (very small, 12KB):
    >> ftp://ftp.wiwi.uni-marburg.de/­pub/wimm/tools/flimmer.exe
    >>

    >> "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote in message
    >> > One old school check to see if there was noticeable flicker was to
    > turn
    >> > your head so that you could only see the screen in your peripheral
    > vision.
    >> > If you saw flicker, you needed to up the refresh rate. The refresh
    >> > rate
    >> > can
    >> > have a negative impact on the users eyes as they try to adjust to the
    >> > light-dark switching that is flicker. It can cause eye strain and
    >> > other
    >> > issues without the user even noticing the flicker. More common in
    >> > older
    >> > monitors and has been addressed by OSHA standards as well as the
    >> > monitor
    >> > manufacturers (one of the little blurbs in the specs). At a higher
    >> > rate
    >> > you
    >> > eyes don't catch the change and so do not try to compensate by
    >> > adjusting
    >> > their focus and appeture. Try tapping your finger 60 times per second
    > and
    >> > you'll see how quickly that sort of thing can tire you out.
    >> >
    >> > KC
    >> >
    >> > "dig154" <dig154@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > monitor

    > 85