Now that "refresh rate override" is gone...

I saw that Nvidia has removed the "refresh rate override" from the newer
drivers. Is it coming back, or will this no longer be a feature of nvidia
drivers? If it's not going to be offered anymore, what is the consensus on
the best way to deal with the "60Hz" issue with games? Is the dxdiag
override the best alternative, or is a program like "RefreshForce" a better
way to keep games above 60Hz. I know that RefreshForce works on both
DirectX and OpenGL apps, but I've never been very clear on whether or not
there is a downside to using this program.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry L. wrote:
> I saw that Nvidia has removed the "refresh rate override" from the
> newer drivers. Is it coming back, or will this no longer be a
> feature of nvidia drivers? If it's not going to be offered anymore,
> what is the consensus on the best way to deal with the "60Hz" issue
> with games? Is the dxdiag override the best alternative, or is a
> program like "RefreshForce" a better way to keep games above 60Hz. I
> know that RefreshForce works on both DirectX and OpenGL apps, but
> I've never been very clear on whether or not there is a downside to
> using this program.

Its still available , just need to "unlock" it with coolbits.

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

The refresh rate override list is missing in 71.84 because of a missing
registry entry and the default is now for it to be disabled if unspecified.
Just add it back yourself. Here are a few settings to add more pages to the
driver. There are others as well.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NvTweak]
"CoolBits"=dword:00000007
"NvCplEnableHardwarePage" = dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableAGPSettingsPage" = dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableAdditionalInfoPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableDesktopOverlapPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableScreenMenuPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableTroubleshootingPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplDisableRefreshRatePage"=dword:00000000
"NvCplCustomResConfig"=dword:00000000

ceebee

"Larry L." <lalittleREMOVE2REPLY@socal.rr.com> wrote in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

> I saw that Nvidia has removed the "refresh rate override" from
> the newer drivers. Is it coming back, or will this no longer be
> a feature of nvidia drivers?

You have to tweak your registry. Google for coolbits.

--
CeeBee

"Eppur si muove!"

rms wrote:
> The refresh rate override list is missing in 71.84 because of a
> missing registry entry and the default is now for it to be disabled
> if unspecified. Just add it back yourself. Here are a few settings
> to add more pages to the driver. There are others as well.
<klip>

Odd.. i installed a 6800GT yesterday using the 71.89 (not 71.84), and adding
the coolbits did the trick.
Either way, hope he gets it to work, im surprised they leave that out pr
default..