Installing & uninstalling drivers

I would like to try nVidia's latest drivers instead of the ones that came
with my MSI NX6600 card. However, I haven't found any uninstall instructions
on MSI's site.

Is there an uninstall program for this, as with ATI's drivers, or do I just
remove it from the installed software list?
7 answers Last reply
More about installing uninstalling drivers

    In article <427dcb2d$0$21875$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be>, Lukas Mariman
    says...
    > I would like to try nVidia's latest drivers instead of the ones that came
    > with my MSI NX6600 card. However, I haven't found any uninstall instructions
    > on MSI's site.
    >
    > Is there an uninstall program for this, as with ATI's drivers, or do I just
    > remove it from the installed software list?

    REmove from installed software list or download an app called
    DriverCleaner.

    --
    Conor

    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

    On 5/8/2005 3:27 AM Conor brightened our day with:

    >In article <427dcb2d$0$21875$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be>, Lukas Mariman
    >says...
    >

    >>I would like to try nVidia's latest drivers instead of the ones that came
    >>with my MSI NX6600 card. However, I haven't found any uninstall instructions
    >>on MSI's site.
    >>
    >>Is there an uninstall program for this, as with ATI's drivers, or do I just
    >>remove it from the installed software list?
    >>

    >REmove from installed software list or download an app called
    >DriverCleaner.

    Or don't be a weenie and just install the new drivers on top of the old
    ones.

    --
    People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

    The Official God FAQ: http://www.400monkeys.com/God/

    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com

    "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > In article <427dcb2d$0$21875$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be>, Lukas Mariman
    > says...
    >> I would like to try nVidia's latest drivers instead of the ones that came
    >> with my MSI NX6600 card. However, I haven't found any uninstall
    >> instructions
    >> on MSI's site.
    >>
    >> Is there an uninstall program for this, as with ATI's drivers, or do I
    >> just
    >> remove it from the installed software list?
    >>
    > REmove from installed software list or download an app called
    > DriverCleaner.

    OK...

    I seem to have run into a little problem.

    I uninstalled the drivers I got from MSI and got me the newest nVidia
    Forceware drivers instead.

    Checking the display properties, I found that one of 2 MSI control panels
    (leftovers from the original software?), namely "MSI Clock" doesn't work (or
    display information correctly)anymore; when I click on that tab, I get an
    error message "Load nvgpio.dll fail".

    What went wrong? How can I fix it?

    (If it helps, this is the card I have:
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_detail.php?UID=637 )

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 18:14:52 +0200, "Lukas Mariman"
    <lukas.mariman@skynet.be> wrote:

    >"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
    >> In article <427dcb2d$0$21875$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be>, Lukas Mariman
    >> says...
    >>> I would like to try nVidia's latest drivers instead of the ones that came
    >>> with my MSI NX6600 card. However, I haven't found any uninstall
    >>> instructions
    >>> on MSI's site.
    >>>
    >>> Is there an uninstall program for this, as with ATI's drivers, or do I
    >>> just
    >>> remove it from the installed software list?
    >>>
    >> REmove from installed software list or download an app called
    >> DriverCleaner.
    >
    >OK...
    >
    >I seem to have run into a little problem.
    >
    >I uninstalled the drivers I got from MSI and got me the newest nVidia
    >Forceware drivers instead.
    >
    >Checking the display properties, I found that one of 2 MSI control panels
    >(leftovers from the original software?), namely "MSI Clock" doesn't work (or
    >display information correctly)anymore; when I click on that tab, I get an
    >error message "Load nvgpio.dll fail".
    >
    >What went wrong? How can I fix it?
    >
    >(If it helps, this is the card I have:
    >http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_detail.php?UID=637 )

    Not sure if it would remove the MSI features to the driver,
    but have you tried using Driver Cleaner PE? What I do to get a clean
    system from any leftover driver junk is to first, un install from
    control panal, then reboot into safe mode to keep Windows from
    reinsta`lling any other Nvidia drivers if they are present, run Driver
    Cleaner PE to remove all any other display drivers, then I reboot, and
    ionstall new Nvidia drivers.

    "Lukas Mariman" <lukas.mariman@skynet.be> wrote in message
    > "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
    >> In article <427dcb2d$0$21875$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be>, Lukas Mariman
    >> says...
    >>> I would like to try nVidia's latest drivers instead of the ones
    >>> that came with my MSI NX6600 card. However, I haven't found any
    >>> uninstall instructions
    >>> on MSI's site.
    >>>
    >>> Is there an uninstall program for this, as with ATI's drivers, or
    >>> do I just
    >>> remove it from the installed software list?
    >>>
    >> REmove from installed software list or download an app called
    >> DriverCleaner.
    >
    > OK...
    >
    > I seem to have run into a little problem.
    >
    > I uninstalled the drivers I got from MSI and got me the newest nVidia
    > Forceware drivers instead.
    >
    > Checking the display properties, I found that one of 2 MSI control
    > panels (leftovers from the original software?), namely "MSI Clock"
    > doesn't work (or display information correctly)anymore; when I click
    > on that tab, I get an error message "Load nvgpio.dll fail".
    >
    > What went wrong? How can I fix it?
    >
    > (If it helps, this is the card I have:
    > http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_detail.php?UID=637
    > )

    It appears that the MSI programs/control panel(s) would be directly ties
    to their drivers. Same with Nvidias driver and control applet. You'd
    need to make sure you uninstalled the MSI driver and software
    completely. Then install the nVidia package. I had the same problem
    when I tried the eVGA 'branded' driver set with their little 'extras'
    programs. But, I got the eVGA stuff uninstalled, rebooted and installed
    the nVidia set, merged coolbits2 and all is great with my 6800GT.
    McG.
    McG.

    "Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> schreef in bericht

    > Not sure if it would remove the MSI features to the driver,
    > but have you tried using Driver Cleaner PE? What I do to get a clean
    > system from any leftover driver junk is to first, un install from
    > control panal, then reboot into safe mode to keep Windows from
    > reinsta`lling any other Nvidia drivers if they are present, run Driver
    > Cleaner PE to remove all any other display drivers, then I reboot, and
    > ionstall new Nvidia drivers.

    I tried it, but indeed, it did not remove the MSI bits, apparently.

    "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> schreef in bericht

    > It appears that the MSI programs/control panel(s) would be directly ties
    > to their drivers. Same with Nvidias driver and control applet. You'd
    > need to make sure you uninstalled the MSI driver and software completely.
    > Then install the nVidia package. I had the same problem when I tried the
    > eVGA 'branded' driver set with their little 'extras' programs. But, I got
    > the eVGA stuff uninstalled, rebooted and installed the nVidia set, merged
    > coolbits2 and all is great with my 6800GT.

    Thanks for your help!

    Problem is, there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to uninstall the MSI
    parts. The driver software is listed merely as "nvidia drivers", without a
    mention of any MSI pacakage (apart from MSI Live Update, that is).

Nvidia Drivers Graphics MSI-Microstar