New 6800GT:Driver Installation

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hi all,
I've got a new 6800GT on it's way to replace my GF4 Ti4400....

Could anyone recommend the best method for driver installation......
When i'm updating drivers i usually just use add/remove to uninstall the
drivers.
When i reboot and XP trys to find drivers for my card,i just cancel it and
then run the Nvidia driver installation to install the newer drivers...and
reboot again.Works fine this way.

Would this method work for my new card?

Thanks,
Dave

wookie

Yes .. if you had the latest drivers from NVIDIA for your 4400 card they
should still work for your 6800 card.

The best way is to use an app like driver cleaner ... but like I said, you
shouldn't even have to do that if you had the latest drivers.

"Dave" <baddsxyz@xyzbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I've got a new 6800GT on it's way to replace my GF4 Ti4400....
>
> Could anyone recommend the best method for driver installation......
> When i'm updating drivers i usually just use add/remove to uninstall the
> drivers.
> When i reboot and XP trys to find drivers for my card,i just cancel it and
> then run the Nvidia driver installation to install the newer drivers...and
> reboot again.Works fine this way.
>
> Would this method work for my new card?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Thanks Wookie!
I'll try my usual method which seems to work ok and see how it goes.
I do have a driver cleaner too,,just to be on the safe side!

Thanks for replying old chap.

"Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Yes .. if you had the latest drivers from NVIDIA for your 4400 card they
> should still work for your 6800 card.
>
> The best way is to use an app like driver cleaner ... but like I said, you
> shouldn't even have to do that if you had the latest drivers.
>
> "Dave" <baddsxyz@xyzbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> > I've got a new 6800GT on it's way to replace my GF4 Ti4400....
> >
> > Could anyone recommend the best method for driver installation......
> > When i'm updating drivers i usually just use add/remove to uninstall the
> > drivers.
> > When i reboot and XP trys to find drivers for my card,i just cancel it
and
> > then run the Nvidia driver installation to install the newer
drivers...and
> > reboot again.Works fine this way.
> >
> > Would this method work for my new card?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave

On 5/9/2005 6:13 AM Dave brightened our day with:

>Thanks Wookie!
>I'll try my usual method which seems to work ok and see how it goes.
>I do have a driver cleaner too,,just to be on the safe side!
>
>Thanks for replying old chap.

If you have recent nVidia drivers installed you don't need to to do
anything. Just install the card and use the drivers you have installed.

--
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

The Official God FAQ: http://www.400monkeys.com/God/

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

> If you have recent nVidia drivers installed you don't need to to do
> anything. Just install the card and use the drivers you have installed.
>
> I'm only using 53.03 at the moment so a driver upgrade will be in order
for the new card.
>Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it will work fine.

--
DaveW

"Dave" <baddsxyz@xyzbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I've got a new 6800GT on it's way to replace my GF4 Ti4400....
>
> Could anyone recommend the best method for driver installation......
> When i'm updating drivers i usually just use add/remove to uninstall the
> drivers.
> When i reboot and XP trys to find drivers for my card,i just cancel it and
> then run the Nvidia driver installation to install the newer drivers...and
> reboot again.Works fine this way.
>
> Would this method work for my new card?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

"Dave" <baddsxyz@xyzbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I've got a new 6800GT on it's way to replace my GF4 Ti4400....
>
> Could anyone recommend the best method for driver installation......
> When i'm updating drivers i usually just use add/remove to uninstall
> the drivers.
> When i reboot and XP trys to find drivers for my card,i just cancel
> it and then run the Nvidia driver installation to install the newer
> drivers...and reboot again.Works fine this way.
>
> Would this method work for my new card?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Yup! :) Worked for me. I pulled out a Ti4600 and dropped in a 6800,
then 6800GT. Worked fine both times.
McG.