Sign in with
Your question

Very strange networking problem

Last response: in Networking
December 4, 2002 4:27:37 AM

Here is the story:
My little brother's computer has the USB DSL modem, I have Windows ICS running on his machine so that I can get internet. The strange thing is that I can only browse about 50% of the web pages that I try to go to and he can go to any web page he wants. Both computers are running Windows XP pro and have the exact same configuration for both ethernet cards in network connections. I have tried tweaking with every setting in ICS and the network cards and have tried using routing software like winroute, wingate, etc. but it continues to do the same thing. I tried putting the modem on my machine but then it just started doing it to him instead. I had no complaints but he didn't like it much :) . I would get a router but the modem is USB so a router is sort of hard to find. The only thing I can think of that could be causing this would be that I have a "Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC (integrated)" and he has a "Netgear FA310TX Fast Ethernet PCI Card". I think that they may be somehow incompatable in the way that one cannot decode some of the others packets or something like that. I don't know much about networking but hopefully someone here does. If anyone needs more info to help me just ask and you shall recieve.
other notes:
the modem is a USB SpeedStream 4060 ADSL Modem
I use a Linksys Etherfast 10/100 Workgroup Switch
both computers are fairly good so that shouldn't be the problem, mine is a 800mhz PIII and my bro's is a Athlon T-bird 1.4ghz.

Thanks,
Folken
December 4, 2002 7:41:30 AM

what is the error you get on the sites you can't browse?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
December 4, 2002 11:26:24 PM

the little loading bar at the bottom of the window slowly moves pixel by pixel for about 20 minutes then it finaly shows "The page cannot be displayed".
Related resources
December 5, 2002 12:50:00 AM

I added the MTU value to my registry and began lowering my value of 1472 by 10 until the problem was solved. Well... I got to 12... Then 2 and it still didn't solve my problem. I used www.asus.com as my test site and it never appeared. The problem must be with one or both of the network cards. I will continue to try things. Thanks for the great info, I'm going to look for more info about MTU's.
December 5, 2002 4:45:47 PM

so, you cant get to a web page, then you are able to go to another web page then try to go back to the first and it still doesnt work? it sounds like some sort of funky resolution problem. are you running some kind of web service on either computer?

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
December 5, 2002 9:15:50 PM

I can't go to some webpages, such as www.asus.com, www.surfwaz.com, and thousands of others. My little brother (who has the modem) can go to any site without trouble. If I try to go to asus.com then it will just do what I talked about before. No matter what I do to try and see that site (go through a search engine, open in new window etc.) it will never load.
December 6, 2002 3:51:39 PM

Try using the IP instead of the FQDN (ex. www.asus.com)

Ping www.asus.com from your brothers machine, or any site for that matter, and manually type the IP into your browsers address bar. If it comes up then it's a DNS issue. Doesn't really sound like it because you would normally have trouble at all sites but it's worth a shot. Another thing it sounds like it might be is IE proxy configurations. What do IE connnections settings look like. Any proxy box checked?
December 6, 2002 11:52:11 PM

Quote:
I added the MTU value to my registry and began lowering my value of 1472 by 10 until the problem was solved. Well... I got to 12... Then 2 and it still didn't solve my problem. I used www.asus.com as my test site and it never appeared. The problem must be with one or both of the network cards. I will continue to try things. Thanks for the great info, I'm going to look for more info about MTU's.

See <A HREF="http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks" target="_new">DSL Report's</A> tweak test for info on your connection settings. This should give you a good idea of your optimum MTU & RWIN settings.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=324" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:
December 8, 2002 12:33:43 AM

I tried going to it via IP and it instantly give me "The page cannot be found" and at the top of the window it says "HTTP 404 Not Found". I tried that mtu thing with the ausus.com IP and when I do the 1472 it says 75% loss. when I get it to the point that there is 0% loss (1400) and force that mtu size in the registry I continue to have the same problem. I don't have any proxies set and I have it set to automatically detect settings.
December 8, 2002 12:35:15 AM

I went to DSL reports and did all the tweaks and tests, it says I am all configured correctly and am set for maximum performance. strange huh?
December 9, 2002 12:52:40 AM

I installed the Windows XP SP1 and the problem went away. I don't know how but it did. Thanks for all of the great information you guys provided, I learned a lot!
-Folken
!