Help: Need A New Card

I have a GeForce 400 MX that I need to get rid of. I'm thinking
GeForce 6200 or 6600 because I need to keep the price down to $100 or
lower. My problem is that I'm running a dual boot of Win98se and Win
XP. I noticed most of the cards require 2000/XP. Can someone suggest
something? It must also be AGP. Thanks.

The newer cards do NOT support Win 98se.

--
DaveW

"Tarkus" <tarkus@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a GeForce 400 MX that I need to get rid of. I'm thinking
> GeForce 6200 or 6600 because I need to keep the price down to $100 or
> lower. My problem is that I'm running a dual boot of Win98se and Win
> XP. I noticed most of the cards require 2000/XP. Can someone suggest
> something? It must also be AGP. Thanks.

According to Nvidia, they theoreticaly DO it except the PCI ones. But
the driver support is bad. I personally am using Win98SE+XP
Pro.(Leadtek 6600GT AGP)

By the way, it is true that a lot of newer games have problems under
Win98 SE.

On 10 May 2005 02:15:04 -0700, "Orhan" <oooglu@hotmail.com> wrote:

>According to Nvidia, they theoreticaly DO it except the PCI ones. But
>the driver support is bad. I personally am using Win98SE+XP
>Pro.(Leadtek 6600GT AGP)
>
>By the way, it is true that a lot of newer games have problems under
>Win98 SE.

I find that even older games like HalfLife, and it's varients,
Quake 3, and other Win9x native games have problems when trying to run
them in Win9x using newer Nvidia drivers, and newer DirectX drivers.
Nvidia, and MS only keep basic operations of their drivers optimized
these days for those old OSes.

"Tarkus" <tarkus@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a GeForce 400 MX that I need to get rid of. I'm thinking
> GeForce 6200 or 6600 because I need to keep the price down to $100 or
> lower. My problem is that I'm running a dual boot of Win98se and Win
> XP. I noticed most of the cards require 2000/XP. Can someone suggest
> something? It must also be AGP. Thanks.

All nVidia drivers work even under Win98 (Gold), so you should find no card
compatibility problems with Win98se.

Tony.

On Tue, 10 May 2005 06:48:20 +1200, "The Black Wibble"
<scanner@free.org.nz> wrote:

>"Tarkus" <tarkus@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I have a GeForce 400 MX that I need to get rid of. I'm thinking
>> GeForce 6200 or 6600 because I need to keep the price down to $100 or
>> lower. My problem is that I'm running a dual boot of Win98se and Win
>> XP. I noticed most of the cards require 2000/XP. Can someone suggest
>> something? It must also be AGP. Thanks.
>
>All nVidia drivers work even under Win98 (Gold), so you should find no card
>compatibility problems with Win98se.
>
>Tony.

That statement is flawed. I held onto Win9x as long as
possible (just moved to WinXP less than a year ago). Hell, I finally
made the move when I found that Doom3 wouldn't even install under
Win9x. During my run with Win9x, and newer Nvidia drivers, I found
that games became more, and more unstable. Even to the point of
corrupting my Win9x system, and having to do countless formats, and
fresh reinstalls of everything.
I soon grew tired of it all, and moved to WinXP, and
everything is once again smooth. I think it's not only Nvidia's
drivers, but also DirectX as the DX 9 series is not optimized to Win9x
systems.
I don't think any of the newer GF 6 cards even support Win9x.
Maybe a GF4 Ti series card, and sticking with DX8.1, and a driver
that's older than the GF FX series optimized ones would give a good
stable Win9x gaming platform.

Shawn

Why do people run anything but XP?
Is there omething they have to have 98 for??

Shawn

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
> On 10 May 2005 02:15:04 -0700, "Orhan" <oooglu@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>According to Nvidia, they theoreticaly DO it except the PCI ones. But
>>the driver support is bad. I personally am using Win98SE+XP
>>Pro.(Leadtek 6600GT AGP)
>>
>>By the way, it is true that a lot of newer games have problems under
>>Win98 SE.
>>

> I find that even older games like HalfLife, and it's varients,
> Quake 3, and other Win9x native games have problems when trying to run
> them in Win9x using newer Nvidia drivers, and newer DirectX drivers.
> Nvidia, and MS only keep basic operations of their drivers optimized
> these days for those old OSes.

I don't have a brand new PC. But it is new enough. P4 2.8C,SATA,1024
MBDDR,Audigy 2ZS,6600GT AGP,DVD-Writer etc.

The only cause why I still am using Win98 is pure nostalgy. Because I
like this OS. Nothing more.

On Tue, 10 May 2005 09:07:28 -0700, "shawn" <futurefitness@cox.net>
wrote:

>Why do people run anything but XP?
>Is there omething they have to have 98 for??
>
>Shawn

Some people still run old hardware which would "bog down"
trying to run anything newer than WinME. A friend of mine still runs
an old PII 400 with 128MB RAM. I just installed a fresh copy of
Win98SE on it. Another reason is because some older programs either
have problems with Win 2k/XP, or just refuse to run at all.

shawn <futurefitness@cox.net> wrote:
> Why do people run anything but XP?
> Is there omething they have to have 98 for??]

While there are some apps that won't run under the NT kernel, and thus users
who run Windows 98 (Me is a joke), I believe that there's far more users who
deliberately run Windows 2000 than XP, partially because of Windows 2000
having way less bloat than XP, partially because XP (especially XP Home) has
been dumbed down, and partially because W2k is more mature with less bugs,
while still running the same apps as XP.

But the main reason you find older OS versions like '98 is probably because
the machines work just fine, but doesn't meet the requirements for the new
OS, or it's not worth it to pay big bucks for the OS when the machine is so
old, and would most likely run worse after upgrading. If it ain't broke,
don't fix it. While an old 32 MB P233MX box might not meet your
requirements, it may be more than good enough for someone browsing static
web pages, sending an occasional email or usenet posting, or typing in a
document.

Regards,
--
*Art

> That statement is flawed. I held onto Win9x as long as
> possible (just moved to WinXP less than a year ago). Hell, I finally
> made the move when I found that Doom3 wouldn't even install under
> Win9x. During my run with Win9x, and newer Nvidia drivers, I found
> that games became more, and more unstable. Even to the point of
> corrupting my Win9x system, and having to do countless formats, and
> fresh reinstalls of everything.
> I soon grew tired of it all, and moved to WinXP, and
> everything is once again smooth. I think it's not only Nvidia's
> drivers, but also DirectX as the DX 9 series is not optimized to Win9x
> systems.
> I don't think any of the newer GF 6 cards even support Win9x.
> Maybe a GF4 Ti series card, and sticking with DX8.1, and a driver
> that's older than the GF FX series optimized ones would give a good
> stable Win9x gaming platform.

Microsoft's latest version of DirectX (9.0c) still supports Win98.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx -- " Download and
install this update for your *Windows 98*, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows
Server 2003, or Windows XP-based system." NVidia still supports Win98 with
their very latest driver (71.84)
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_71.84.html. --" Support for the GeForce 6
series GPUs." So every nVidia card *is* compatible with Windows 98. I did
have problems with some games not working properly and thought this was
because the games themselves were not compatible with the OS rather than
nVidia's drivers or the DirectX interface. Not everything in a game calls
upon DirectX. Nevertheless, all nVidia cards are compatible with Win98.
BTW, why would Tarkus be concerned about games not working properly under
Win98 when he has XP, too?

> The newer cards do NOT support Win 98se.
>
> --
> DaveW

Given that nVidia's drivers include support for GeForce 6 GPUs under Windows
98 then why do you claim the newer cards are not supported?

Tony.

> On Tue, 10 May 2005 09:07:28 -0700, "shawn" <futurefitness@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Why do people run anything but XP?
>> Is there omething they have to have 98 for??
>>
>> Shawn
>>

> Some people still run old hardware which would "bog down"
> trying to run anything newer than WinME. A friend of mine still runs
> an old PII 400 with 128MB RAM. I just installed a fresh copy of
> Win98SE on it. Another reason is because some older programs either
> have problems with Win 2k/XP, or just refuse to run at all.

Though initially, I ran XP Pro on my old P3 800 rig, I've upgraded a
lot, moved XP Pro to a completely new rig (it was 3 years ago anyhoo!)
and now still run the old P3 800 with 98SE. I do have a very few things
that will not run with an NT kernel. If they detect it, they won't even
install. Then there are the few older games that just work easier in
the DOS/98SE environment. Plus, I still *have* my old op systems. Why
not put them to good use? Like you said old hardware that
(comparatively speaking) bogs down with XP. With little 20 and 30 gig
hd's, you'd want less bloat :)
McG.

I've used my 6600 GT under Win98SE. I have a triple boot system with W98, XP
and RedHat. nVidia has drivers for all 3 OSs.