geforce fx5200

hi ill start off by telling you what i have got.

i am running windows xp pro
i have a geforce FX 5200
a Gateway EV700 monitor
and a samsung LE15E31S S flat screen tv.

right the problem i am having is i have bought a vga cable splitter so i can
plug 2 monitors in so i put that in and my monitor came on fine and my tv
even came on while the computer was starting up but as soon as windows was
loaded my tv would go off and say "mode not supported".
so does anybody have any ideas on how to get this to work.

thanks in advance

--
Mr M A Hall

mahall1988@ntlworld.com

You need to use a video card with TWO video out ports. Video cards are NOT
designed to drive two monitors out of a single VGA port on the card using a
splitter.

--
DaveW

"Mark Hall" <mahall1988@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> hi ill start off by telling you what i have got.
>
> i am running windows xp pro
> i have a geforce FX 5200
> a Gateway EV700 monitor
> and a samsung LE15E31S S flat screen tv.
>
> right the problem i am having is i have bought a vga cable splitter so i
> can
> plug 2 monitors in so i put that in and my monitor came on fine and my tv
> even came on while the computer was starting up but as soon as windows was
> loaded my tv would go off and say "mode not supported".
> so does anybody have any ideas on how to get this to work.
>
> thanks in advance
>

> --
> Mr M A Hall
>
> mahall1988@ntlworld.com

Set yer refresh rate to 60 Hz and res to 720x480 or 720x576, as this is the
maximum yer EDTV set will support.

"Mark Hall" <mahall1988@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> hi ill start off by telling you what i have got.
>
> i am running windows xp pro
> i have a geforce FX 5200
> a Gateway EV700 monitor
> and a samsung LE15E31S S flat screen tv.
>
> right the problem i am having is i have bought a vga cable splitter so i
> can
> plug 2 monitors in so i put that in and my monitor came on fine and my tv
> even came on while the computer was starting up but as soon as windows was
> loaded my tv would go off and say "mode not supported".
> so does anybody have any ideas on how to get this to work.
>
> thanks in advance
>

> --
> Mr M A Hall
>
> mahall1988@ntlworld.com

Sorry, you might be able to do 1024x768 at 60 Hz or so it would seem.

"Sharanga Dayananda" <sharanga@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Set yer refresh rate to 60 Hz and res to 720x480 or 720x576, as this is
> the maximum yer EDTV set will support.
>

> "Mark Hall" <mahall1988@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> hi ill start off by telling you what i have got.
>>
>> i am running windows xp pro
>> i have a geforce FX 5200
>> a Gateway EV700 monitor
>> and a samsung LE15E31S S flat screen tv.
>>
>> right the problem i am having is i have bought a vga cable splitter so i
>> can
>> plug 2 monitors in so i put that in and my monitor came on fine and my tv
>> even came on while the computer was starting up but as soon as windows
>> was
>> loaded my tv would go off and say "mode not supported".
>> so does anybody have any ideas on how to get this to work.
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>

>> --
>> Mr M A Hall
>>
>> mahall1988@ntlworld.com

thank you that problem has been troubling me for a couple of days now.
just 1 more quick question, on my monitor my brightness has gone down now
but yet when i look at it the brightness and contrast are up full.

"Mark Hall" <mahall1988@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> hi ill start off by telling you what i have got.
>
> i am running windows xp pro
> i have a geforce FX 5200
> a Gateway EV700 monitor
> and a samsung LE15E31S S flat screen tv.
>
> right the problem i am having is i have bought a vga cable splitter so i
> can
> plug 2 monitors in so i put that in and my monitor came on fine and my tv
> even came on while the computer was starting up but as soon as windows was
> loaded my tv would go off and say "mode not supported".
> so does anybody have any ideas on how to get this to work.
>
> thanks in advance
>

> --
> Mr M A Hall
>
> mahall1988@ntlworld.com

The reason for the loss of brightness is that you're splitting the signal.

If you use the second output on yer graphics card (DVI port with a DVI to
VGA adapter, which you might've got with the card) and connect it to the
other display, instead of splitting the single output, you should get
adequate brightness on both displays.

However if you use both outputs with the displays in "Clone" mode, you lose
the ability to display overlays on both displays. YOu can have video playing
back full screen on one display and in a window in the other.

> thank you that problem has been troubling me for a couple of days now.
> just 1 more quick question, on my monitor my brightness has gone down now
> but yet when i look at it the brightness and contrast are up full.
>
> "Mark Hall" <mahall1988@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> hi ill start off by telling you what i have got.
>>
>> i am running windows xp pro
>> i have a geforce FX 5200
>> a Gateway EV700 monitor
>> and a samsung LE15E31S S flat screen tv.
>>
>> right the problem i am having is i have bought a vga cable splitter so i
>> can
>> plug 2 monitors in so i put that in and my monitor came on fine and my tv
>> even came on while the computer was starting up but as soon as windows
>> was
>> loaded my tv would go off and say "mode not supported".
>> so does anybody have any ideas on how to get this to work.
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>

>> --
>> Mr M A Hall
>>
>> mahall1988@ntlworld.com

thank you all for ur help my problem is sorted now i have my tv pluged in
with a dvi lead which fixed the brightness problem.

thank you