Printer on a Network Problem

I run an HP 722C printer on a Win95a computer connected to a
Linksys WRT54G wireless router. There's no print server. Today
I couldn't print from my wired Win XP Pro desktop to this printer
(it's been working fine for three years). Just before it happened,
a thunderstorm rolled through, and the monitor blinked once. I
have a Belkin surge protector / backup UPS. When I deleted the
printer under Printers and Faxes and then Added a Printer, it found
the networked printer okay (\\HOME COMPUTER\HP), but it
wouldn't print a test page successfully. I finally got it working by
again Adding a Printer, and this time told WinXP to install new drivers
(instead of "use old drivers"--recommended). Does it sound like
the existing drivers got corrupted? I didn't even know I was using
XP drivers, since when I first set up the XP desktop, it found the
network printer on it's own.

I definitely learned something from this incident. I'm just wondering
if there is something more I should learn from it.

Thanks!
Scott
1 answer Last reply
More about printer network problem

    Scott wrote:

    > I run an HP 722C printer on a Win95a computer connected to a
    > Linksys WRT54G wireless router. There's no print server. Today
    > I couldn't print from my wired Win XP Pro desktop to this printer
    > (it's been working fine for three years). Just before it happened,
    > a thunderstorm rolled through, and the monitor blinked once. I
    > have a Belkin surge protector / backup UPS. When I deleted the
    > printer under Printers and Faxes and then Added a Printer, it found
    > the networked printer okay (\\HOME COMPUTER\HP), but it
    > wouldn't print a test page successfully. I finally got it working by
    > again Adding a Printer, and this time told WinXP to install new drivers
    > (instead of "use old drivers"--recommended). Does it sound like
    > the existing drivers got corrupted? I didn't even know I was using
    > XP drivers, since when I first set up the XP desktop, it found the
    > network printer on it's own.
    >
    > I definitely learned something from this incident. I'm just wondering
    > if there is something more I should learn from it.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott

    Well, I definitely learned one thing. After reestablishing the printer
    connection, it started printing my documents last-page-first. So I've
    discovered you can print front-to-back instead of front-to-back. Cool!

    Scott

Gateway Printers Hewlett Packard Windows XP Computers