MSI 6800GT PCI-E ?

Ranger

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

Contemplating a 6800GT PCI-E purchase. Opinions on the MSI 6800GT PCI-E
appreciated.

thinman

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005

Bought one and have had no problems with the card and its display quality.
However, I use a 4 port KVM switch and for some reason, the output from
the card thru it causes a "ghosting" effect on text. Hook the card to the
monitor and all is fine. Not a problem with the cables either.

ray

On Wed, 11 May 2005 20:40:35 -0500, "thinman" <noaddy@cox.net> wrote:

>Bought one and have had no problems with the card and its display quality.
>However, I use a 4 port KVM switch and for some reason, the output from
>the card thru it causes a "ghosting" effect on text.

Dump the KVM... the problem is there. Nothing to do with the video
card !!!! Poor-quality internal video amplifier in the KVM.

For anybody ever contemplating the purchase of a KVM, make sure that
you get it with a 3-day-return-refund-no--questions-asked guarantee.
First action after opening the box is to read the video specification
(max-resolution/frame-rate). If not acceptable, pack the KVM up and
bring it back. If acceptable, set your PC/monitor to that max. rate
and check out the video with and without the KVM in the path; you
should only see a very slight degradation (fuzziness) in the image and
NO ECHOS !! If all of this is satisfactory, then check out the mouse
functions.... some KVMs (specifically PS2-compatible) do not relay all
mouse signals to the PC.

John Lewis

> Hook the card to the
>monitor and all is fine. Not a problem with the cables either.
>
>ray
>

>"ranger" <ranger@cyberback.com> wrote in message
>> Contemplating a 6800GT PCI-E purchase. Opinions on the MSI 6800GT PCI-E
>> appreciated.

thinman

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005

I'm well aware of the fact that the KVM is the problem with this card.
However, the other -3- systems using the KVM don't have the same
problem (these are using $30 +/- video cards, set to same color depth,
resolution and refresh rate).

ray