Swapping 5900XT with 6600GT

Usually, I deinstall/reinstall the video driver when I upgrade my video
card, but I was wondering - is it really necessary in this case, since I'm
using the latest nVidia driver, and staying with an nVidia chipset?
TIA

wookie

nope don't have too

"bxle" <bxle_loop@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Usually, I deinstall/reinstall the video driver when I upgrade my video
> card, but I was wondering - is it really necessary in this case, since I'm
> using the latest nVidia driver, and staying with an nVidia chipset?
> TIA

"bxle" <bxle_loop@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Usually, I deinstall/reinstall the video driver when I upgrade my video
> card, but I was wondering - is it really necessary in this case, since I'm
> using the latest nVidia driver, and staying with an nVidia chipset?
> TIA

I'm considering doing the same upgrade soon ... undecided tho' if I should
wait and go for AMD64 & PCI-E at a later date.
Current spec. (that matters) as follows

Gigabyte 7n400-Pro2 (Ver1)
AMD Athlon 2800+
1Gb DDR400
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

Yeah, I saw that - and that's what got my curiosity going, since I'll be
reinstalling exactly the same driver
I suspect that different bits may get installed depending on the core...

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> Yes -- nvidia says so.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

bxle <bxle_loop@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I saw that - and that's what got my curiosity going, since I'll
> be reinstalling exactly the same driver
> I suspect that different bits may get installed depending on the
> core...

Correct. nVidia doesn't have a unified driver -- that's marketing speak
(i.e. a lie). What they have is a unified installer.

Regards,
--
*Art

> Yeah, I saw that - and that's what got my curiosity going, since I'll
> be reinstalling exactly the same driver
> I suspect that different bits may get installed depending on the
> core...
> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>> Yes -- nvidia says so.
>>
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html

That's exactly what it is. The driver installer package installs only
what your installed video card and opsys need. If nvidia broke it down
into installers for each card, that selection of drivers on their site
would likely be overwhelming. The Unified drivers aren't that big and
they do cover the entire range of cards. Simplifies distribution in a
huge way.

In one weekend I went through a series of video card and driver changes
just to see what Far Cry, Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 looked like on each of
my Nvidia cards:
GF4 Ti4600, FX5900, GF6800 and GF6800GT.
Even going from the eVGA eGeForce 6800 to the spankin new eVGA eGeForce
6800GT needed the driver change. I tried just putting the 'GT in and
running, but nope, even in 2D there were thrashing textures and odd
stuff. Uninstalled the driver, rebooted, reinstall the same driver
package and no more problems.
McG.

On Thu, 12 May 2005 14:06:49 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>"bxle" <bxle_loop@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Yeah, I saw that - and that's what got my curiosity going, since I'll
>> be reinstalling exactly the same driver
>> I suspect that different bits may get installed depending on the
>> core...
>> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>>> Yes -- nvidia says so.
>>>
>>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html
>>>

>That's exactly what it is. The driver installer package installs only
>what your installed video card and opsys need. If nvidia broke it down
>into installers for each card, that selection of drivers on their site
>would likely be overwhelming. The Unified drivers aren't that big and
>they do cover the entire range of cards. Simplifies distribution in a
>huge way.
>
>In one weekend I went through a series of video card and driver changes
>just to see what Far Cry, Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 looked like on each of
>my Nvidia cards:
>GF4 Ti4600, FX5900, GF6800 and GF6800GT.
>Even going from the eVGA eGeForce 6800 to the spankin new eVGA eGeForce
>6800GT needed the driver change. I tried just putting the 'GT in and
>running, but nope, even in 2D there were thrashing textures and odd
>stuff. Uninstalled the driver, rebooted, reinstall the same driver
>package and no more problems.
>McG.

That's what I've told people in here before, and they claim I
don't know wha`t I'm talking about. I've done something like you've
done as well. Using the same driver, I went from a GF2, to a GF3, to a
GF4 Ti. The first time I ran the GF2, games, and demos ran fine. Then
I swapped out the card with the GF3 without un installing, and
reinstalling the drivers again, and there ware problems running some
games. I uninsta`lled the drivers, and reinstalled them, a`nd the
ga`mes worked perfect. Same results going from the GF3 to the GF4.

"bxle" <bxle_loop@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Yeah, I saw that - and that's what got my curiosity going, since I'll be
> reinstalling exactly the same driver
> I suspect that different bits may get installed depending on the core...

When I tried booting with unaltered drivers after changing from 6600gt to
fx5200, Win XP went to a generic driver.
So, I did the nvidia video uninstall -- as I was going to, I was just
experimenting.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

raj

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

lol "deinstall" its uninstall
"bxle" <bxle_loop@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Usually, I deinstall/reinstall the video driver when I upgrade my video
> card, but I was wondering - is it really necessary in this case, since I'm
> using the latest nVidia driver, and staying with an nVidia chipset?
> TIA

Why on earth would you make such a bad change?

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "bxle" <bxle_loop@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Yeah, I saw that - and that's what got my curiosity going, since I'll be
>> reinstalling exactly the same driver
>> I suspect that different bits may get installed depending on the core...
>
> When I tried booting with unaltered drivers after changing from 6600gt to
> fx5200, Win XP went to a generic driver.
> So, I did the nvidia video uninstall -- as I was going to, I was just
> experimenting.
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

On Sat, 14 May 2005 17:06:46 +0200, "porta"
<vodkadrinkers@t-online.de> wrote:

>Why on earth would you make such a bad change?

He said he was experimenting.

"porta" <vodkadrinkers@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Why on earth would you make such a bad change?

I broke a cap off my 6600GT and the fx5200 is a loaner.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\